Old 12-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default End of an Era...

I am hopping on here to write a short farewell to this sub-forum along with HUGE thanks to all the members knowledge and experience over the years. Anytime I posted a specific issue or question, I always got solid advice. And I probably learned even more form just read along on all the questions posted by others. It means a great deal to me.

I owned my 2 1973 Trans Ams for 10 and 8 years respectively and in that time brought them from basic weekend driver quality cars to solid, no apology resto-mods. Both had full Hotchkis suspensions with subframe connectors and both had very nice FT / Aluminum head / carbureted engines. Green had a TKO-600 and Red had the original 4-speed.

I am no mechanic - I figured out as much simple stuff and maintenance stuff as I could and farmed out the heavier lifting to a fantastic local mechanic who I now consider a true friend.

At my age, I was ready for a different car ownership and driving experience. I was looking for something with more power, better handling, and ‘new car’ reliability. I had looked at recent Z06 Vettes, GT500 Shelbys, and Hellcats. But I just could never see myself behind the wheel of a new(er) performance car...

Instead, I just snagged a 1973 TA with DSE front and rear subframes, Q-link rear, LS9 power and a 6-speed. Build is all done except paint. I decided on Black with Platinum hood bird. Many on this forum will say that’s complete sacrilege, and I get that. No offense taken. And I know there is another sub-forum here for cross-bred power plants. But both my TAs were pure Pontiac - they gave me nothing but pride in ownership and I know they will find great homes. It was bittersweet watching them loaded on the enclosed transport this morning!

Now the wait for the finished product begins! Oh well - with winter rapidly setting in here in the heartland, I wouldn’t be doing too much cruising for the next few months anyway! I will post a few pics of the new beast once she arrives - but I respect that’s not what this sub forum is for.

The Following User Says Thank You to PDC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats an LS9?

Old 12-05-2020, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its an upside down 6

The Following User Says Thank You to dhcarguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New direct injection?

Old 12-05-2020, 09:31 PM

Dude, you sound like your Gramma died. It's okay. You can still visit and contribute any time.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like bought yourself a little piece of heaven to me. Enjoy it!

Old 12-06-2020, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Whats an LS9?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gmautho...gines/ls9/amp/

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
That was a good read.
Forged Titanium Connecting Rods

it told everything except dyno results , and cost

Quote:
I just snagged a 1973 TA with DSE front and rear subframes, Q-link rear, LS9 power and a 6-speed.
Sounds like a Bionic Car {music starts , the theme from 6million dollar man ...stronger, faster, screws farrah fawcette, etc ..etc ..}

Congrats on the New Ride

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 03:26 AM

Pretty sure it’s a 638 hp engine.

Not bad for a 376 cube production engine with a factory warranty.

More engine specs:https://paceperformance.com/i-625555...bs-torque.html

Unfortunately the GM crate LS9 has been discontinued. Back in 2009 they were selling for $21K.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStathas View Post
Dude, you sound like your Gramma died. It's okay. You can still visit and contribute any time.
Hilarious! Nope - just looking for a different ‘experience’ after a decade with zero regrets. Yes, some serious frustration along the way! But hands down a helluva lot more pure joy. I’ve always said that without Jay Leno’s money or his garage space, the only way to have (and hopefully enjoy) a new or different car experience is to be willing to let go of something that I’ve already had.

I also get frustrated with my lack of mechanical ability. I have such huge respect - and a bit of jealousy - for the guys on this forum who can dig right in and do all the mechanical work on their own cars. I will be 54 here soon and driving myself crazy in the garage digging 1-2 steps beyond my mechanical ability into a project is losing its appeal! Someone who knows what they are doing could probably swap a roller cam into each of my cars in a weekend and get disc brakes up and running in another weekend. That’s really what they need to take the next step.

There is a guy where I live who is probably in his mid-60s, just retiring. He is a life-long gear head and drives a jaw-dropper 69 Camaro that’s been Mini-Tubbed, 4-link DSE suspension, supercharged LS, 4L80E. And from the outside, only the width of the rear tires really gives the secret away. Same with the interior - Houndstooth buckets - just looks like a super clean ‘stock’ 69. He has always been very complimentary of my cars, but he warned me that the day would come when I would want to try to grab the next rung on the ladder.

FWIW - stars aligned and I was able to make this move essentially ‘laterally’ selling both of my cars for this one. I’m sure the stack of receipts over 8 and 10 years respectively on my cars would stand up to this build. I try not to think about that!

Old 12-06-2020, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You wont catch any crap from me. Sounds like you got yourself a badass ride!

I love the LS platform, especially forced induction ones!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PDC,

Congrats!!!! That will be one nice car. Remember, you made this move for yourself and for no one else! You wanted something more than you had and I applaud you.

Sounds like one heck of a machine. Enjoy it to the hilt.

I remember when my Dad had the Pontiac dealership there was a 1977 Grand Prix that had the two-tone color of black and silver. The top was silver and the bottom was black. A very striking combination. The car also had a red interior and a red accent stripe that went along the split of the two exterior colors. Your car should look great with that color combo.

Also, I don't know where you live, but if you want that ride in my '73 it is an open invite you had asked about a while back.

The Following User Says Thank You to napster For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats. If I have any more issues with this pure poncho engine of mine, I am going LS3 for sure. Are you going to be hanging out on the pro-touring forum?

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula8 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 02:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula8 View Post
Congrats. If I have any more issues with this pure poncho engine of mine, I am going LS3 for sure. Are you going to be hanging out on the pro-touring forum?
Absolutely - I learned from this forum that the best way to avoid repeating mistakes is the search function!

Old 12-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lame
Makes me sick to my stomach. I guess some people can not figure out how to modernize their old PONTIAC and make a truly cool car.
Any Pontiac with a LS or Chevy under the hood IMO is not a real PONTIAC.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Lame
Makes me sick to my stomach. I guess some people can not figure out how to modernize their old PONTIAC and make a truly cool car.
Any Pontiac with a LS or Chevy under the hood IMO is not a real PONTIAC.
Ding! Ding! Ding! No more calls, please ladies and gentlemen... we do have a winner!!!

Old 12-06-2020, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Understand your frustration, specially if you don’t have the mechanical ability do it all yourself. Allot of Pontiac’s out there with BBC and now LS motors. Enjoy

Old 12-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keep both of them! LS are great engines, i have an LS1 in my 98 formula.
I took out an ls9 with my 70 it took a 462 with 15 psi.

The Following User Says Thank You to 70 bird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
Keep both of them! LS are great engines, i have an LS1 in my 98 formula.
I took out an ls9 with my 70 it took a 462 with 15 psi.
GOD if I could have kept every car I’ve ever owned! ...

Strange, my car in HS (1985) was a ‘base’ firebird with a 301 and a 2.81 single leg rear end. I sourced a complete 389 form the local salvage yard along with a 3.42 ring gear and posi carrier and worked my ass off at the local K-Mart to pay for a ‘basic’ rebuild of the 389 and installation of the posi and gears. Back then ‘state of the art’ was the Edelbrock Performer Cam and Intake package and BlackJack 3-tube headers. Compared to where that car started life, I thought it was the fastest damn thing in the world. In the past 6 months, I have had countless vivid dreams about finding that car and buying it back. Not sure how or why the mind works the way it does when it does.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old muscle cars are more about the actual engine than the car itself. Even my wife knows if a Pontiac is taking off at the drags by the sound of the engine. Its very important.
The high end engine builder who balanced my engine hates LS engines. Ugly and anyone can just drop them in and make power. They are for the unskilled.
Ruins the car. Its no longer a Pontiac.
I even hate it when they stick LS engines in old Chevies. If you can not take the correct engine and put a nice FI system on it, modern hyd roller and nice exhaust get out of the hobby. Because at that point you are a unimaginative check writer.
All those guys at the track who just drive up in a Hellcat do not get any real respect. They just think they do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post: