THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Yes, thanks all for the input. I am in CA so it would need to be smogged. Trying to smog a 40 year old car for the first time will likely be a headache. The Cats are not available although it appears there is one aftermarket replacement. I'd need to buy a gardner exhaust and then swap in the cat I think. $2k just to get the exhaust squared away.

Not sure if the original passenger manifold that works with the cross over pipe is still there. Looks like he has straight dual exhaust now. Maybe the second opening on the manifold is blocked off.

Also need to inquire about whether the original carb is still mounted, as that could be another smog headache.

Thanks again for all the input, it really helps!

Maybe you can make a deal with the seller to replace the cats before you seal the deal?

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 12-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing over 25 for a 4o3
Repaint, wheels done, I’ll bet not on a machine. It’s worth half asking.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, this thread sure makes me reflect. In 1974 I bought a 62 SD Catalina from an ad in the back of Hot Rod Magazine. I paid the full asking price and when I brought it home you can't believe how many people told me I was an IDIOT for paying that much money for That Car. When I bought it - it had 409 carbs, a 63 intake, aftermarket valve covers & headers. Makes you wonder doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My 62 SD 07.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	555405   Click image for larger version

Name:	My 62 SD 09.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	555406   Click image for larger version

Name:	My 62 SD 01.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	555407  

Old 12-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the record, cars always look better on the 'net than in person. Lighting and photography do wonders, not necessarily on purpose, just the way it is.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ooh, I didn't realize you were going to California with it. Yeah that's going to be a big deal with that exhaust on it. The exhaust has been welded to the subframe, which is a corner-cutting doofus shop antic that would make me angry to see done. Good luck getting the seller to agree to exhaust modifications for California, every time I have tried that I get blown off.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The exhaust issue would be enough for me- if I were trying to bring the car into CA.
As others have mentioned, the car just isn't clean enough to justify the asking price. Don't get me wrong- it's a nice car, just not nice enough for that money on a 403 auto car.

The paint looks nice overall, but has several minor issues that are visible in the pictures- bubbles in the wheel well, rust on the trunk lip, chips on the door edges, cracking on the rear spoiler end cap, etc. If we can see those in the pics, what will you notice in person?

The interior shows some wear and needs a serious detailing. Paint missing on steering collar. Looks like a chunk missing out of the console near the passenger seat. Seat belt guides half missing. Etc.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 12-05-2020, 03:52 PM

Trust me when I say.....they look wayyyyyyy different in person I just let one go because of false claims and issues that were not mentioned in the description on line. Be very careful!!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 12-05-2020, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again all. I spoke to the dealer yesterday - he's holding at that asking price for now, but agreed to get me more info on the carburetor and other emissions components.

The private owner cars are so much better. One thing dealers frequently do is swap out all the very nice parts from their cars and sell those as "mint" components separately. Then find replacement driver quality parts to sell with the cars. Those wheels might even be from a different car. I wonder if the t-tops were swapped out also.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Maybe you can make a deal with the seller to replace the cats before you seal the deal?
Doesn't work very well. There are Cats that are only California legal and the smog ****'s have been known to check. My friend with a fairly new Equinox had replacement cats put on at a local shop and those units fell off the California approved list before he got down to smog a month later. A car coming in from out of state for a first smog inspection will probably be under high scrutiny. Better to adjust the sale price for the cost.

edit: Funny, site blocked my use of the WWII German army name.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Doesn't work very well. There are Cats that are only California legal and the smog ****'s have been known to check. My friend with a fairly new Equinox had replacement cats put on at a local shop and those units fell off the California approved list before he got down to smog a month later. A car coming in from out of state for a first smog inspection will probably be under high scrutiny. Better to adjust the sale price for the cost.

edit: Funny, site blocked my use of the WWII German army name.
They will check the cats for proper application, plus the car will have to be VIN verified. I don't believe that car came factory with dual exhaust...so off it comes back to a single. It also will have to go on the rollers.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-05-2020, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

P
U
N
T

sounds like you really need a car that is a California native and is current on emissions testing. Or has history of having been CA. certified in the not too distant past.
If its currently on in-op registration.

or
a bona-fide time capsule car with Stock Everything

Even with all the plumbing on the 49 State 403's - the Cali versions may have had even further plumbs and a different carburetor too.

Are you sure a 73 Auto A/C Loaded wouldn't suit you well enough ?
No Cat - dual exhaust - minimal emission gizmos
You are surfing in that price range

Old 12-05-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Out of state cars only need to comply with their original emissions. I don't think I would need a Cali compliant cat, just a 49 state compliant cat for example. The Cali cats have plumbing for the pump, but can be capped off for 49 state cars - at least that's my understanding.

When you say the car didn't come with duals, my understanding is it was a cross over pipe at manifolds to a single cat, then a splitter to dual mufflers and tailpipes.