Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I like all forms of power adders. I messed with nitrous first because it was cheapest to get into. Later, as money allowed, I got into roots stuff as that is my preference. I just like the traditional look and sound of a roots on a race car or boat. There were no competition style drives for Pontiacs so I desigined and made them for myself and later offered them to others. So far, I've sold a few dozen competition blower drives for Pontiacs. There are 4 roots blown Pontiacs in my stable ( jet boat, v drive boat, AA/Fuel dragster and AWB funny car) I cannot get enough of them. Plus, I have some interchangebility between them too if needed.
I am also working on my first intercooled turbo deal and see how that goes.
I plan to build a few other turbo deals too but, for street use, not racing.
One day, I'll have a centrifical blower deal too for a street/strip car.

They each have their pros and cons. I don't knock one, they are all cool. It depends what you want to do and where you are going to race, class, fuel, etc or if it is a street car.

Of course, the most powerful blown cars are roots equipped and probably always will be.

Steve 49 by the way

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 12-16-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In my world there never was anything as awesome as a roots blown car/dragster. Thanks to guys like Jack and Steve and the others for keeping the tradition alive on a Pontiac. Even tho i'm a NSS guy those blown cars send a chill up my spine. (age 63)

Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
I helped (watched a lot) build a 6-71 blown 69 TA, with a NOS fogger and a Doug Nash 5 speed. This was in 1982, and I can tell you that you can't even blow your nose in a roots blown car without 20 people watching you.

I have come to the same conclusion Dave...

Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
In my world there never was anything as awesome as a roots blown car/dragster. Thanks to guys like Jack and Steve and the others for keeping the tradition alive on a Pontiac. Even tho i'm a NSS guy those blown cars send a chill up my spine. (age 63)
Thanks for the comments. I plan to progress much further than I have so far as finances allow. The last few years have really limited my progress with them. Between buying another property, trying to sell the first one, and the general state of the economy and not working anymore, things have slowed down. Still, I keep busy as there is plenty to do that does not need much money. For years I just bought and bought and had little time. Now, it is almost the opposite. I have time and much less money to play with.
That chill you describe can be multiplied several times if the blown motor is on nitromethane. Good stuff.
Steve
Hosting-
Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 12-16-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta admit, those roots blowers are very intimidating!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the Roots blowers for their simplicity of install, maintenance and power right off the throttle - no need to spool up and other starting line gymnastics. I'd love to step up to a Screw on mine - it's only money...

David - no need for the intercooler with the E85 My E85 525ci with the same 8-71 and carbs I had on my 462ci make more hp than the 462ci did with nitrous added

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some video I shot this year of something "slightly" different in the nostalgia ranks (at least in funny car)...a BBC on nitro instead of the usual Hemi. I know it's not a Pontiac, but it being a wedge chamber it sounds "similar" to a Pontiac on pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XmetO8Nj8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxfgT...eature=related