Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
1. Is that a carbon fiber body that Mike Cooper had made?

2. Hopefully, Travis is doing the tuning.
Travis & Rodney are good friends. And out of the same area. If you followed any posts and the Butler Turbo engines you would see that Travis post regulary about it and results.

If I'm not mistaken, Travis put the magic touches to David Hances DR car ( & possibly his PM car, correct me if I'm wrong ?) that set a record at BMP last Febuary in Florida.

1/8th............... 1/4. Ya run what ya have. A win is a win and the rush still is leaving the line and getting your shifts right down the track.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
1/8th mile is where its at. 1/4 mile is on its way out thank god....1/4 mile is fine for bracket racing, but heads up racing is extremely better 1/8th mile. Better to watch, better to race, less expensive for track owners and car owners.
Drag racing...

Hell, my pit lane is a 1/4 mile long.
Try running 2.66 miles of elevation changes, sweepers, tight turns under heavy braking, from 130+ to 40, hang a left-right combo, floor it into a down hill off camber right hander accelerating back to 100+ with cars in front, on your tail, and side by side lap after lap.

Now that's racing...

Last edited by ho428; 10-09-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think what Scott was inferring was that Travis is a better tuner. I see evidence of that myself whenever he's helping on Welter's car. When Travis is there, that car flies.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
1/8th mile is where its at. 1/4 mile is on its way out thank god....1/4 mile is fine for bracket racing, but heads up racing is extremely better 1/8th mile. Better to watch, better to race, less expensive for track owners and car owners.
What's next...half court NBA games? Drag racing has NEVER been about "cheap". Better to watch? Only if you don't care for speed! JMHO. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Suspended

1/8 is a direct offshoot of street racing..almost all of americas "match racers" have gone to shorter tracks..its hard to find a road worthy of 150mph plus top speeds..but a SHORT 120MPH BLAST WORKS FINE..

anyway, if your sanctioned track is 1/4 mile, go for it..we run 1/8 mile events on a 1/4 mile track..no room for errors..no coming back from the holeshot..

and road racing pays nothing, HO..it may be driving fun, but cant pay for itself..a good bracket guy can actually make ma few dollars at seasons end...

enjoy whatever you like..race when and where u can..

and that 63 lemans gets me excited..what a beast..great to see the old bodys redone for racing..

Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it's amazing to see this thread get hijacked by a bunch of guys wanting to debate 1/8 mile vs. 1/4 mile drag racing.

somebody should start another thread so the whole lot of you can bicker at each other somewhere else.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Suspended

good point !!!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
...and the rush still is leaving the line and getting your shifts right down the track.

You ain't chittin'! Especially when you leave the line on a good pass and it give you that ohhh chit feeling!!!

Congrats to the Butlers and Travis! That car is really going to fly when they put some decent power to it!

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did anyone pay attention to the mph? That car has a LOT of potential, I predict low 4's. Congrats Rodney. -Jim

Old 10-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
Did anyone pay attention to the mph? That car has a LOT of potential, I predict low 4's. Congrats Rodney. -Jim
Jim i believe it was 134.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
Jim i believe it was 134.
My point is the MPH was REALLY low for the ET. A full pass would put him around 200 and low 4's. VERY fast Pontiac. I have been to Huntsville a few times. There are Pro Mods there running high 3's!. Not sure if George Howard is still running the track but someone really needs to clean the center off between the lanes. Did you see how bad it was in the left lane if you got just a little out of the groove? -Jim

Old 10-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Nobody seemed to notice what fuel they were running.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Suspended

as stated the fuel is methanol, aka alcohol.
what is you point?

Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We run VP brand M1 straight methanol. We don't have the bankroll for anything else!! The flames you see on the starting line are from pulling timing and putting fuel in to make boost with the clutch.

Thanks for all the interest/kind words, fellas......we now have two weekends on the car with no hurt parts, a very comfortable tuneup and we are making progress with every hit. Rodney is still every bit the driver he used to be, even being out of the saddle for three years. This car is going to be one BAD hombre, I hope we can do it justice.

TQ

Old 10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Boost Engineer

Car looked good, Travis!

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drag racing... zzz

Go find another forum if ya don't like it. There should be some roundy round, up and down forums out there. Seems to me that 99.9% of the guys here are drag racers.
You do not hesitate to ask for help/advise from us low life drag racers. Do not need uppity crap from you or any other road race rich boy. JMO

Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Methanol will do that, Scott...when you load it up. Bob Hall used to do that years ago with his "Paddy Wagon" Vega wheelstander. Back when I used to watch him run at Budds Creek in the mid-80's it would pop flames like that out the zoomies at idle when he was backing up from a burnout.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Nobody seemed to notice what fuel they were running.

It looks like you momma never taught you a word called respect. It's easy to take shots about Sundays game when you are talking over the water cooler on Monday...

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Drag racing... zzz

Go find another forum if ya don't like it. There should be some roundy round, up and down forums out there. Seems to me that 99.9% of the guys here are drag racers.
You do not hesitate to ask for help/advise from us low life drag racers. Do not need uppity crap from you or any other road race rich boy. JMO
Little touchy are we Eddie? Jeez, try and lighten up the place and get jumped on.
No one but you said anything about "low life" I just think watching drag racing is boring, especially 1/8 mile.

Nothing but respect for the amount of power being produced and the abilty to put it down. I used to drag, but for me the seat time is to limited for the amount of time spent at the track, effort in the car and cost, JMO though.

And rich boy?, that's a laugh. Most of you have more in your engines than I have in my entire car.

Can't we all just get along

Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suppose.