Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Old School

I am just curious how old most of you forced induction guys are. I am really surprised by how many blow-thru/turbo guys there are compared to the (relatively few) roots crowd. I am mid-30's so I missed the heyday of old-school roots blowers, but I still think they are REALLY cool.

On the other hand, the stealth approach also appeals to me - I love the fact that you can keep it all under the hood with the newer tech. I also really like muscle cars that look close to stock from the outside and still run like crazy, and there's just no hiding an 8-71!

So while I see the upside of both approaches, I guess I expected that a Pontiac crowd would be mostly old guys who lean towards the older tech. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Why would try to hide an 8-71? I think that blow through set ups are cool, and probably make more power. But you can't beat the look and sound of an 8-71 through the hood.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with ya. For some reason I love the older-style setups. I really like the sound of solid cams, roots blowers, and open headers! My car is currently N/A and will be for the foreseeable future, but it's fun to think about putting a big ole' 8-71 on there. They just scream old-school muscle car. Bad-ass.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Compare the cost of a roots style setup versus the cost of a belt-driven deal like a ProCharger.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Scott M I don't think cost has anything to do with this. They are talking about sound and look's. You should hear my 4 cyl with a 4-71 and zoomie header Thanks Rusty

Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm 38.

I never really got into the whole roots blower thing. I liked the "under the hood" stuff and when I looked into the blowers I found that the roots stuff made more heat and that the centrifugal stuff was more efficient. I like that and the centrifugal stuff is more quiet. Although if you ask my neighbors...they don't think it's quiet! LMAO

As far as cost, I have no idea what a roots set-up cost, but retail cost on centrifugal is roughly as follows:

carb/hat: $1200
Blower kit: $4-6k (depending on which blower you buy)
Blower brackets from LPI: $800
Piping (non-intercooled): $200
Cog belt: $120

Plus, there are other incidentials but it depends on the power level you want to be at. This is just a basic ballpark figure.

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)

Last edited by bad69bird; 12-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty4cyl View Post
Hey Scott M I don't think cost has anything to do with this. They are talking about sound and look's. You should hear my 4 cyl with a 4-71 and zoomie header Thanks Rusty
I have already.

Sounds like a hornet.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty4cyl View Post
Hey Scott M I don't think cost has anything to do with this.
It certainly should.

$10K for an underhood belt-driven setup?

To be fair, I'd like to see costs for used stuff.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd say 6-10k depending on your goals.

Used...your talking about roughly half the cost of new.

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 12-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69bird View Post
I'd say 6-10k depending on your goals.

Used...your talking about roughly half the cost of new.
A used 6-71 or 8-71 set up for gasoline, including manifold, carburetors, blower, pulleys, belt and idler, can be had for under 2 grand.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Suspended

i am 40 years young. been boosted for 20years(turbo buicks prior), 12 of it pontiac.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:26 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I don't know how many old-school guys on these forums, but that certainly describes me, at age sixty-nine.
Tell me if you think this engine would have the same visual impact with other than a Roots blower?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi_engine0001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	190932  

Old 12-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

27 here

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm 22, turning 23 next month..... Just getting started!!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I could afford it I would have at least two NA, two Roots, two Centrifugal, and two Turbo motors. Each type in 2 varieties, street/strip and race only.

Currently doing an "old school" draw-thru turbo(s) for a 360" Pontiac that will also have some "new school" tech as well.

FWIW my wife wanted a roots blower sticking thru the hood of her 69 bird(convert). A friend of mine with a 69 Camaro and 8/71 let her drive it. She decided it was just too much of a blind spot to put up with on a frequent basis. She loved the power but drives her car too much to put up with the blocked vision. We did a TA clone instead with dual quads underhood. Her car still gets plenty of notice though. I prefer the stealth of turbo's in a modest looking package for my 84 GP but a street rod with a roots would be way cool. I wouldnt rule out a belt driven cenrifugal on anything. Same with NA motors. Each has its place for me. I'm 56 and still want it all.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I helped (watched a lot) build a 6-71 blown 69 TA, with a NOS fogger and a Doug Nash 5 speed. This was in 1982, and I can tell you that you can't even blow your nose in a roots blown car without 20 people watching you.

The downside today is most classes don't allow them, at least around here.

I'd like an 8-71 today, with an air to water intercooler, E85 and around 15 lbs of boost.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think thats why I dig the turbo set-up so much. A guy could build his own system for a thousand bucks or much less with some good used parts. I built one for my VW Bug for under $200 (although it is a drawthrough type). Other systems just cant do that. Also I love the idea of hp that doesnt cost you hp.
P.S. Im 39 (but I act like im 17)

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
I think thats why I dig the turbo set-up so much. A guy could build his own system for a thousand bucks or much less with some good used parts. I built one for my VW Bug for under $200 (although it is a drawthrough type). Other systems just cant do that. Also I love the idea of hp that doesnt cost you hp.
P.S. Im 39 (but I act like im 17)
There was a popular kit for the VW bug back in the very early 70's that used a Rajay "B" flow turbo in draw thru mode. My first turbo was a 62 Corvair Spyder. Later upgraded to the 64 and up 164 CI motor and upgraded the original TRW "B" flow to a Rajay "E" flow kit from Crown. (TRW turbos were taken over by Rajay) After breaking a few 4 speeds I swapped in a powerglide transaxle from a Corvair van with 3.89 gear ratio. I was told it would kill performance and give me problems. Only mod I did was put a check valve in the modulator line and some valve body mods to firm up the shift. I was able to spool against the brakes and launch much quicker than the 4 speed.(and not break anything) The glide never gave any problems. I wish I had taken it to the track back then. I beat up quite a few ss396's and 383 mopars with it and held my own against 454's 440's 455's usually getting beat on top end. My A70-13 tires werent helping my top speed. Most guys back then had no idea what a turbo was or could do. They really disliked getting beat by a lowly Corvair! My forgetting to top off my water injection did the motor in. I should have fixed it but got rid of most of it and bought a Nova real cheap. (my ex heavily influenced that decision) In 1988 iirc I sold the turbo and original carb and "B" flow parts and linkage for $300. The turbo air cleaner I never owned was worth big dollars even in the early 70's.

I've been a big fan of turbo's ever since.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be 42 in June. Blow through's never did much for me. Turbo's either. I think if I were building a street car though and wanted to fit it all under the hood, I'd probably go for the simplicity of a blow through. I was going the nitrous route until that frigging Misus turned me onto this nostalgia Firebird flopper I have now...once I saw a picture of it I had to have it (LOL).

$1370 for a used 14-71 set up for alcohol/nitro in great shape delivered to my door from California. $700 for a used Crower 8-port injector with barrel valve, lines, pump, shut-off valve, BBC timing cover and pump extension. Sold the pump, timing cover, and pump extension leaving a total investment in what was left of about $300. BDS intake modified for the larger blower with SFI burst panel...about $750. Used pulleys can be had for about $50 each. New belts are about $275. $225 for a used Enderle-110 pump. Whole system professionally flowed and set up for another $400. I think I have less than $3500 in the whole set up (excluding the cost of the crank support).

Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know I love mine! I want to turbo everything now. My bug has no problem beating up on Camero and Mustang guys. The take off on that thing is insane! But some cars do tend to pull me on top end. I was just doing it because I like to make ****, I didnt think it would really work.
$50 Ebay turbo, some $8 1 1/2" exhaust pipe to make the intake and exhaust manifolds, a couple oil lines, a $50 rebuilt small carb, and it hauls!