Old 08-01-2022, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 49 state cars with the road draft tube in 61-62 do not have the filter at the near bottom of the road draft tube like cars before this. The road draft tube is a big, inverted J bent tube which on an engine in good shape will keep the oil from traveling up the tube. I have seen oil/water drip from cars with severe blow-by.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:46 AM

I agree with U47. It's just an open tube on a 1961 car, oil dripping from it just indicates the engine is worn.

(If you look at pictures of highways from the 1960s and earlier they all have a dark oily stripe in the middle of each lane, from all the cars blowing oil out the draft tube.)

Old 08-02-2022, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a pcv valve on my 57.

GT

Old 08-04-2022, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to the 1962 service manual California cars had a PCV valve and a tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner. It was NOT used on cars in other states, BUT was a dealer (or 0wner) installed option and came in a package. The intake was drilled and tapped for the 2 vacuum fittings. My 1962 Bonneville has this system and was a CA car. The valve cover hose went to a cap that looks the same as the one on the driver's side of your engine but was on the passengers valve cover.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 62 Catalina that I bought from the original owner 21 years ago. The car was sold in Long Beach Ca. and just like the factory service manual says it has a Type 1 PCV system. The manual also shows the road draft system for other states.

Type 1 PCV system is an open type of system, meaning air is drawn into the crankcase through a breather cap on each valve cover. The left side valve covers breather is located toward the front of the car and directs air to the timing cover and crankcase, and the right side is located in the middle of the valve cover directs air to the back of the engine and down into the crankcase, and they are positioned this way to best take in air from the engine fan. The air then circulates back up to the lifter valley. In the lifter valley there is an oil separator, then the fumes go to a gromet in the valley pan which has the PCV valve and from the PVC valve to the intake. The reason they call it an open system is the breathers are open to the atmosphere and at WOT there is no engine vacuum and some blowby gasses can escape from the breathers.
I believe the closed type started in 1968, they eliminate the breathers and have a tube/hose connection from the rt valve cover to the air cleaner breather filter.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:29 AM

It's been a while since I looked through the parts catalog but I believe a PCV system was available for California cars in 1961 as well.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:53 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
... In the lifter valley there is an oil separator ...
Where could I see a picture of the separator?

Old 08-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's been a while since I looked through the parts catalog but I believe a PCV system was available for California cars in 1961 as well.
You are correct

Old 08-05-2022, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Where could I see a picture of the separator?
It's built into the valley cover. Valley cover is two pieces joined together; the top part is the cover the bottom separates oil.

Last edited by U47; 08-05-2022 at 12:08 PM.