Old 12-13-2022, 11:35 PM

Default Tail Lights

On my 68 GTO I installed new tail light housings and put in Led 1157R bulbs and I also replaced turn signal switch and wiring down the column. I replaced the flasher too. Now the Leds one side is brighter than the other sometimes. With the headlight switch on the right blinker wont work. I doubled all the grounds to the tail light housings to the frame. Still the same. I put the incandescent bulbs back in and the same. Both side are bright with just the brake on.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 12-14-2022, 03:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Raid ... sounds silly, but, first thing to check is that you are putting the bulbs in the right way, the slop in new bulbs and sockets (compared to OEM) will often allow you to put the two filament bulbs in 180 degrees the wrong way.

If you feel the fit of the bulbs/sockets is good enough that this is not a concern, then check that the housing has the right sockets in the right places, and that the right wires are going to the right sockets.

Hopefully the bumper is not already installed.

Never trust the repop stuff, you have to check them over very carefully.

Old 12-14-2022, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does sound like a ground problem, can you connect a wire to the bulb housing temporarily to see if that makes a difference?

Old 12-14-2022, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ohm test socket to housing for ground path. Seen coatings on parts prevent good metal to metal contact.

Clay

Old 12-14-2022, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 68 tail light sockets ground to the bumper mounting brackets and then to the frame. Any bit of corrosion or excess paint between the socket ground straps, bumper mounting brackets and frame will cause grounding issues.
As such the mounting bolts must be clean, free of paint and bite into the metal particularly the brackets to frame in which the tooth type flat washers help.
In addition, the screws for the socket ground straps must be tight to the mounting brackets.
As Clay mentioned, ohm out each socket housing to a bare spot on the frame.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express