Old 01-23-2023, 02:13 PM

Default 68 Vs. 69 Gas Tank Filler Neck Difference?

I want to replace the gas tank in my 68 GTO. Most places sell the tank without the filler neck for 68 GTO,s. Obviously the tank is the same for 68 and 69. The difference being the filler neck. Has anyone used the 69 tank and filler neck on a 68 ? If so, what adjustments were needed?
Thanks, Bob C.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not that you're asking for this information but I used this set up and it works great. The sending unit is a huge improvement!

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd375.htm
https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd346.htm

Old 01-23-2023, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

do a search, this has been covered a few times.

here's a link to one:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...68+69+gas+tank

Old 01-24-2023, 12:43 AM
Senior Chief

Here’s the basic info from a thread I had started on here regarding the Spectra GM34D from Autozone:

“Well the tank is in and functional. It was pretty painless. It showed up with 2 dents and the filler neck was a little cocked to the side, but nothing that couldn’t easily be tweaked back to where it belonged. I took measurements of how high my original filler neck was while the two tanks were next to each other on level ground. I think the new tank filler tube had to be tweaked upwards 2.75” to match (when measured at the very end of the tube). I was able to simply push the tube inwards towards the tank while I tweaked it up. By doing this, I was able to slightly alter/bend the tank sheet metal that the tube was soldered to and not the joint itself. Sounds complicated but it was simple. It may have helped that my filler tube was soldered on rather securely to start.

They appeared to completely miss soldering in the 1/4” vent that was in the fill tube. The whole vent just wiggled in the hole it was punched through. I soldered it in place and it’s all good now. I also only had one 1/2” vent on the rear of the tank so that worked in my favor. The overhanging sheet metal seams were already bent up in the places I need them so that was a bonus too. Overall it looks like a pretty nice tank and it lined up as good as my original with the tweaking I did. I found a different discount code online so it was $142 shipped to my door with free 2 day delivery. I really can’t complain about this experience at all.”

Old 01-26-2023, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

Our host sells the 68 tank with neck complete . I just bought one in stainless .