THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
Great Video. Would luv it if my tesla had that kind of a sound 'switch' !
I have a Mach E on order. It has three performance modes. Ford calls them Whisper, Engage and Unbridled. I will probably drive around in Engage mode because I like hearing the electric motors when accelerating and when regenerating.

The car in that video is an extreme prototype so Ford can see what might be possible. 1400 hp, 800 volt batteries, 7 motors. 3 cooling systems etc. It is super extreme but it does sound great. Never expected an electric motor to make a sound like that. Awesome! It is only matter of time before people start hot rodding their EVs.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:46 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There are many, many reasons to NOT buy an EV or even a hybrid for that matter. But having choices is a great thing and will actually help keep a lid on gas prices. If they really catch on, which is doubtful, expect electric rates to surge for grid updates and the like. When I get in a vehicle, I don't like to be overwhelmed by the technology and feel like you have to hold a degree in computer science to pick up a couple groceries at the store. Some people love that. That's fine for them. I also understand that the weak electronics in the EV's, Tesla included, will be the first thing that dies and leaves you stranded on the side of the road helpless. When a refrigerator, range, dishwasher or microwave is lucky to last 5 years, why would someone assume an electronic car would be any better? It's the same cheap, crap electronics, mostly made in China. Repairs will be astronomical as these cars age. Everyone is so worried about the batteries, but other major components such as the motors, controllers, inverters, and cooling systems are each thousands of dollars just for the components. If you mostly drive in a 50 mile radius of home, buy new or lease and keep it 3-5 years, an EV may be a very good deal.
Most modern combustion cars are pact with unreliable electronics anyway and they're the biggest reason (52%) for failure.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
+1; I have both. Driving the 1st or 2nd quickest car made in USA and having a 65 GTO to me is the perfect combo. For all the people who think Tesla ( 100% USA made ) is expensive, my M3 performance ( 310 range ) cost $55k;

Less than most of your pickup trucks;
Now here's a sensible guy , you see what's coming . . . over here 1.6 % of all cars allready EV and rapidly rising.

Our neighbours ' Ze Djurmanz ' , not so much tough.

I can't help but see those magnetic highways in our future to.

People would still be thrilled to see one off those GTO dinosaurs loudly on it's way to whatever . . . !

Old 07-22-2020, 01:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
Ford is having some serious fun with their EV....
https://youtu.be/Y3846KFDmFQ
T 2 on the video , boys will be boys . . . no matter what the engine !

Old 08-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

@1965gp

Stumbled across this video which did a great job at quantifying the possibility of what solar panels on a car would provide and the challenges of movement / angle that are constantly changing. Nicely done;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebk_vPIUbR8

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 08-01-2020, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My colleague of many years ordered a Mach E when they first began taking orders. He ordered a GT with the only option at the time being a color choice. They just sent him the advanced 35 page product info booklet in an e-mail. Really interesting. I caught the three sound modes. One thing that stood out to me as a thing to work on in the future. It clearly states that the 110V charging option gives you 3 miles of range per hour of charge? So after charging all night say at a motel during a trip, you gain 30 miles of range. If you have 220V or super Charger in your route no problem. But if your stuck with 110V, you are really stuck. Plan longer trips carefully. Just have to be willing to be tethered to your power source.

Info from Ford:

FORD MOBILE CHARGER COMES STANDARDThe portable charge cord that comes standard with every Mustang Mach-E can be plugged into a 120-volt household-style outlet or a dedicated 240-volt outlet, which is recommended for faster charging. It has a 20-foot cable, outlet adapters and carrying bag as well as a dedicated storage area under the cargo load floor.MANY WAYS TO CHARGEDid You Know?Typically, EV owners charge their vehicles at home about 80 percent of the time.1Range and charge time based on manufacturer computer engineering simulations and EPA-estimated range calculation methodology. The charging rate decreases as battery reaches full capacity. Your results may vary based on peak charging times and battery state of charge. Actual vehicle range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviors, vehicle maintenance and lithium-ion battery age.Level 2 – 240V/32A dedicated household outlet (NEMA 15-50) can provide 21 miles of range per charging hour.1Level 1– 120V/12A conventional household outlet can provide 3 miles of range per charging hour

Last edited by mgarblik; 08-01-2020 at 03:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting about the solar panels- thanks for the vid

Old 08-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not sure, but what i've heard from a few owners is when the batteries are used up..the cars are worthless...the expense to replace them is very high...

they seem disposable..with no real plan to be recycled...and i dont think anyones put a solid plan together for the batteries to be recycled

theres a whole new industry to repower gas power cars with tesla motors..it seems really cool, and i like what i have seen, its a 15k swap to put a tesla motor in a traditional powered old car, and people are doing it a lot..you can buy motors on ebay..

still..a Tesla will never park in my drive..i have no plans or wishes to buy one..i'll drive my dinosaur..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It clearly states that the 110V charging option gives you 3 miles of range per hour of charge? So after charging all night say at a motel during a trip, you gain 30 miles of range.
This is typical of almost all EV's.

110 is basically a charging method for someone that is only using the car as a relatively short drive commuter car.

To be viable for the majority of the public, a 220 volt source for charging is required, but still not optimal.

480V DC charging is what is required for more reasonable charge times.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
I am not sure, but what i've heard from a few owners is when the batteries are used up..the cars are worthless...the expense to replace them is very high...

they seem disposable..with no real plan to be recycled...and i dont think anyones put a solid plan together for the batteries to be recycled
Tesla is introducing a battery that will last one million miles. Will be announced in September. Also, Tesla is planning to recycle batteries at its gigafactories. The old batteries represent a "high grade ore" that can be used as a source for Lithium, Nickel, Cobalt, etc.

Gas powered cars are history in the medium term.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
This is

Great info there haha

Very slow

2x faster than slow

Much faster than slow

Made me laugh but now I understand I suppose...

Old 08-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Tesla is introducing a battery that will last one million miles. Will be announced in September. Also, Tesla is planning to recycle batteries at its gigafactories. The old batteries represent a "high grade ore" that can be used as a source for Lithium, Nickel, Cobalt, etc.

Gas powered cars are history in the medium term.
Well, Elon Musk also said he would be selling 500,000 cars a year by 2020. Well, it's 2020, and he will probably be at around 300,000 units. But in all fairness to him, the pandemic has slowed sales so lets be fair. He did sell 367,000 units in 2019, pre-pandemic in what was at that time the strongest economy in modern times. So when he says he will deliver a 1,000,000 mile battery in September, it will likely be about 1/2-2/3 of his claim. But that's still very impressive. Toyota Prius batteries, which I work with daily last typically at least 10 years, and I have seen many go beyond 300,000 miles before degrading much. They don't just die like a cranking battery, they slowly lose range and take longer to charge. On a hybrid, that just means the gas engine runs more often and longer, not a huge deal. On a pure EV, of course it's more of an issue. I have been buying good used batteries from wrecking yards for hybrid cars, Prius, Highlander, Escape, Insight. Typically, $500-750.00. They have all worked just fine so far in customers vehicles. Parts stores sell reconditioned batteries for about 1/2 the price of new as well. So think of a new battery in terms of what a replacement engine might cost. Roughly equivalent. ICE, and EV cars can live together and will for decades to come. Making a statement that gas powered cars are history, may be a little premature. I am sure Francis Edgar Stanley said the same thing when his steamer first hit the road.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They have not revised the guidance for 500k cars this year. Battery cost declines are expected to be ~5% per year. Panasonic has already said 20% reduction over 5 years.

Time will tell.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't hitting a battery with a fast high charge every time shorten battery life? What about our aging grids? Here in San Diego they hit us with high rates between 4-9 P.M. because they say there isn't enough renewable energy during this time. I guess if you didn't plug in your electric car until 9:01 P.M. it would be OK.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken View Post
Great info there haha

Very slow

2x faster than slow

Much faster than slow

Made me laugh but now I understand I suppose...
That is funny.....but incorrect.
Level 1 charges about 4 miles of range per hour. Really only useful for absolute worst case scenarios. Very rarely use this method

Level 2 gains about 24 miles of range per hour which is 6 times faster than Level 1. The Mach E has an option to gain about 32 miles of range per hour which is 8 times faster.

DC fast charge which some refer to as Level 3 is at least 6 times faster than level 2 and could have max speeds up to 15 times faster. For sake of comparison.....the Mach E can gain about 60 miles of range in 10 minutes with DC fast charge.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Doesn't hitting a battery with a fast high charge every time shorten battery life? What about our aging grids? Here in San Diego they hit us with high rates between 4-9 P.M. because they say there isn't enough renewable energy during this time. I guess if you didn't plug in your electric car until 9:01 P.M. it would be OK.
The car is programmable to only charge itself during off peak hours. I was just looking at solar roof today. For about $30k you get a new roof and three power walls, which are batteries that store the power during the day and you run off the batteries at night. Pretty much you are off the grid with this system.

I'm in San Diego also, we have a great environment for solar.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, Elon Musk also said....
Elon says a lot of things.

He announced in September 2015 that the Model 3 would be unveiled in March of 2016. In May of 2016 Musk announced that he would produce 100,000 Model 3's in 2017 (produced less than 3,000) and 400,000 in 2018 (produced less than 165,000).

He said the Model 3 would be a $35,000 car and took over 500,000 deposits of $1,000 each and then failed to deliver a $35,000 Model 3 in 2017 or 2018. You could buy a $40 - 70,000 Model 3, but he refused to build the $35,000 one he promised when he accepted $500,000,000 in deposits.

It's 2020 and you still can't find the $35,000 Model 3 SR on the Tesla website, but apparently if you configure a SR Plus ($39,900) and pay a $100.00 order fee, there is a way to finangle your way through the system to the point where you have to stop the process and wait for Tesla to email you about completing your order.

Then you need to STOP everything and reach out to a Tesla Store or showroom, provide the Tesla employee your VIN#, and request them to flag your Model 3 order to be a Standard Range model. This will take several DAYS.

And then you can get your white (ONLY) Model 3 for $35,000, plus $1200 destination fee, plus $100 order fee for a total (before tax) of $36,300.

If you want one, here are the detailed instructions here:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-buying-guide/

Norway has been the leader of the EV movement. It used to be a Tesla success story. The Norwegians are probably the most experienced and knowledgeable EV buyers on the planet.

Tesla has sold 20,818 Model S's, 17,505 Model 3's and 13,388 Model X's in Norway - or over 50,000 Tesla's.

Bit for 2020 YTD - sales for Tesla have cratered - only 87 Model S's, 1818 Model 3's and 213 Model X's - or just over 2100 total have been sold this year. As a reference point - Tesla sold over 5300 Model 3's in March of 2019 alone last year.

Meanwhile, in 2020, Audi has sold 6428 of their E-trons, VW has sold 3992 of their Golfs, Nissan has sold 3363 of their Leafs and Hyundai has sold 2996 of their Konas.

The Pandemic is everywhere, but people are still buying EV's in Norway, they just aren't buying Tesla's like they used to.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default elon burns good...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/30/...er-extinguish/

The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
6,000 GALLONS of water to extinguish this blaze.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the water department needs to eat too...

Closed Thread