THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Supporting the PY

I’m sure the people in charge of owning / running this Great Pontiac site have thought of all the possibilities to keep it up and running.

I also frequent “The Supercar Registry” (Yenko) site which also has a Pontiac section.

This site offers several types of “yearly” pay memberships that allows for conversation, sale and wanted ads, plus much better photo options.

I’m a classic / collectible automotive enthusiast that has no problem paying a membership that not only helps keep a site up and running, but keeps me up and running.
Heck, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than any utilities I pay every “month”.

I just made my donation to the PY, but I’d much prefer a yearly membership to support the Performance Years.

Thanks, Chris

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

60sstuff, there is a subscription option (that I thought had gone away). Stuart's reply to my post in the lobby ("What happened to the Pontiac Journal") reminded me that the subscription is still out there, so I just went and renewed mine.

If you click on "Subscriber Forums" at the top of the main forum page and then go into the PY Online Parts Lookup, and then click the PY Online Parts lookup thread, there's a link within to subscribe. $10 for 18 months.

Here's a direct link: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=739413

Old 01-16-2023, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been a member on paid subscription sites. I hate it. It becomes very echo chamber like, and I feel it drives away those who could provide valuable information to the site, but are turned off by having to pay. This is even more true when a site already has paid sponsors.

I have no issues with a site like PY asking for donations. We're a small niche group of car guys, and we're damn lucky to have a site like this with so many knowledgable members, but having to pay a subscription would be a hard pass for me.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-16-2023, 09:15 PM

Pay whatever you can afford.

If you can’t afford to pay we still welcome you here on the PY forums, as always.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would rather donate some $$ off and on rather than subscribe to anything. I belong to the 348-409 site and they do it that way - have people donate. They put a banner below each member's handle in the forum with a different color for each different number of donations and that way everyone can see who is supporting that forum and who isn't.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads...the-usa.52069/

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm more than happy to chip in. I certainly appreciate the time, money and effort required. It goes without saying that there is a wealth of information here. An embarassment of riches really when it comes to our beloved Pontiac stuff. A lot of stuff sure has changed in the short term in the world and in my life. I'd like to help keep this place the same, for as long as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought that Ames owned/maintained this forum. I buy 98% of my parts from them on a regular basis. I figured that was my way of a contribution. If not I suppose I will have to rethink.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Charge members to sell parts, that’s fair, I pay for my forum out of my pocket every year, I can’t pay for another. Mine is no ads too, prob the only one. I sell parts to fund my site. Easy.
If you do take money from members, there should be a supporter badge in their on line profile showing them being a Site Supporter.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

For my business, it really doesn't matter ...Subscription or donation!

I subscribe to the ones that have subscriptions & donate every year (in January) to the ones that take donations. I am kind of embarrassed to say that until Bart posted the threads notifying us that this forum was now taking donations, I did NOT see the donation tab at the top. I guess it is just because I go to my sections & start reading out of habit. I guess it just started the 1st of the year.

I give the same to each of the dozen or so forums that I am on that take monetary help, it is but a small pittance compared to the dozens of customers I get from each. However I don't say what I donate, if the forums post that, that is up to them.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
The Following User Says Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post

If you can’t afford to pay we still welcome you here on the PY forums, as always.
Quoted for emphasis. A subscription or donation aren't required, it's strictly a voluntary thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I thought that Ames owned/maintained this forum. I buy 98% of my parts from them on a regular basis. I figured that was my way of a contribution. If not I suppose I will have to rethink.
I was under the same assumption. Shoot, I was just going through my Ames receipts for the 2022 year, and it was in the many thousands of dollars.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-17-2023, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I looked into it a bit further, Mr. Casperson owns Pypes and Cold Case I believe. Thanks for keeping the forum going. I support those businesses as well!

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

I check in here 4-5 times a week. I've gotten some great advice and recommendations. I pay eBay to sell parts. I'm a member of several online forums for selling musical gear, I pay them accordingly.

It's simple for me...if you get some educational value out of the PY forum, put some money in till.

If you don't, fine, don't donate. But I seriously doubt anyone who is a member here doesn't get their money's worth from the PY site.

Now that I know there's a "donation" button, I'll put in $50. I pay that every year to thegearpage.net site to have a GOLD membership status, unlimited ads, a larger PM storage, etc, and it's got over 300k members.

Due to that forum I have clients on all 7 continents. If you can't afford to donate, IMO, you're not really here except for the freebies...and that's just not right, IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScumOne For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 03:22 PM
Senior Chief

Lets be clear here folks....

There should NEVER be any kind of tag or brownie points for making a donation! If you can then you should, if you can't there should be NO stigma attached!

In the last 2 years, fuel, food & just about everything else has doubled. Folks in our hobby that are on fixed incomes should NOT be shamed or left to feel less than a member. They are NOT any less of a member to this great hobby!

God Bless
Bill

1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post

Help! I'm not finding the donations tab.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 01-17-2023, 04:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Help! I'm not finding the donations tab.

Eric
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ment.php?f=467

Old 01-17-2023, 05:01 PM
Senior Chief

The donation link only allowed me to pay $10 for 18 months .That works out to .56 per month. I think I'd be able to find that money even if I was on a fixed income.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScumOne For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 05:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
The donation link only allowed me to pay $10 for 18 months .That works out to .56 per month. I think I'd be able to find that money even if I was on a fixed income.

Sir,

Look back to B-man's post & see his link!

This takes you directly to the tab that allows you to donate through Paypal or use a credit/debit card!!!!!!

God Bless
Bill

1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
That one is for the subscription (which gives you access to the Pontiac parts lookup and also helps support the forum).

The donation link in the "Announcement" at the top of every forum is the recent request for donations, which is through paypal and allows any amount.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Just donated. I love this site and all of the very knowledgeable and talented members here. I learn so much from all of you. Thank you to the owners of this forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post: