THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Senior Chief

Question Today is ...

... the day the music died. Does anybody, besides me, remember the day the music died? And not just the Don McLean song ...

February 3, 1959 we lost some music artists who might have had a strong influence on future (after 1959) music genres. I try to remember to search for some of their songs and listen to them on Feb 3rd.

Just wondering,
Ogre

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ogre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:24 AM

I remembered 2 of them, had to look up the 3rd.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For those who do not know.
Buddy Holly of course
the Big Bopper, J. P. Richardson
Ritchie Valens

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhcarguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Click image for larger version

Name:	petersonrogerbio.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	606568

And the young pilot, Roger Peterson

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

Whoops, sorry gang ... I wasn't asking about WHO they were, but some do know the names. I may have been too "nuanced" in my original post. I was asking if anybody remembered that day ... my bad. Thanks to dhgarguy and 77 TRASHCAN.

Maybe I am just too old, but I remember that day as "something bad" happened in the music world. I was on the verge of my teen years, so I remember it, even though most of the media sources seem to have forgotten it. During my teen years, I realized what a tragic loss it was.

There were some interesting "side stories" also. Waylon Jennings had some recollections, and others.

Oh well, so much for us dinosaurs. LOL I'll probably never forget "the day the music died." (The actual day)

Ogre

The Following User Says Thank You to Ogre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 04:31 PM
Senior Chief

I was just short of my 10th birthday but I remember that day. Probably because I had two older sisters who were into rock n roll. The radio was playing constantly (when my folks weren't in the house) with rock music and of course American Bandstand was on TV.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 02-03-2023, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Whoops, sorry gang ... I wasn't asking about WHO they were, but some do know the names. I may have been too "nuanced" in my original post. I was asking if anybody remembered that day ... my bad. Thanks to dhgarguy and 77 TRASHCAN.

Maybe I am just too old, but I remember that day as "something bad" happened in the music world. I was on the verge of my teen years, so I remember it, even though most of the media sources seem to have forgotten it. During my teen years, I realized what a tragic loss it was.

There were some interesting "side stories" also. Waylon Jennings had some recollections, and others.

Oh well, so much for us dinosaurs. LOL I'll probably never forget "the day the music died." (The actual day)

Ogre
Pat, you aren’t a “dinosaur”; you’re well aged like fine wine. How’s the knee?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-03-2023, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was 11. Dont remember the crash in the news. An up and coming singer filled in,his name was Bobby Vee. There was a story on the Big Bopper I listened to about how Chantilly Lace was written and named. I'm going to a doo woop dance tonight

Old 02-03-2023, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was only 3 years old so I don't remember the day, although I do remember my big sister having a 45rpm record of Richie Valens singing La Bamba that she played all the time. Since Clear Lake is sort of local the event does get mentioned in the news here every year, they always have a tribute Winter Dance Party at the Surf Ballroom. https://www.surfballroom.com

Old 02-03-2023, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA165aki.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	606588

This is the grim reality of crashing a small plane.

I was only 3 months at the time...

I have read along about thr crash. The young pilot was too inexperienced to be flying at night especially in snow...

The artificial horizon in this plane, worked the opposite from the one in the plane he normally flew, so who knows, couldn't bring them back, then or now.

I worked for a small airline in Oklahoma City, back in the 80's (which is a story in itself). We had an old guy that was the pilot trainer. He was very good at his job!!! He and I talked quite a bit, he and I were both from Iowa.

We talked about this crash some. He said that too many of these accidents happen from a sheer lack of experience, and the pilot ends up flying the plane into the ground...

Man I don't miss the Iowa winters!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 02-03-2023 at 06:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Their influence on music carries through. As far as i'm concerned, it was akin to losing a Lennon or McCartney. Who knows what Buddy Holly could have evolved, blossomed into.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have forgotten about this over the years but remember it on the news and the photos of the crash site. Another dinosaur.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was reading about their broken down bus,frost bite. Coin flip with Waylon Jennings saved his life. I can feel for the families and what I would have done. Buddy Holly was looking forward to a gig in England.