Old 05-02-2001, 10:18 AM

I am getting a 62 Tempest from a guy on saturday and my only problem is it has no wheels on it and I dont know anything about these cars. Will Corvair 4 lug wheels work? I have to look around the junkyard and find some wheels to roll it up on the trailer with and I am at a loss for info

Old 05-02-2001, 10:18 AM

I am getting a 62 Tempest from a guy on saturday and my only problem is it has no wheels on it and I dont know anything about these cars. Will Corvair 4 lug wheels work? I have to look around the junkyard and find some wheels to roll it up on the trailer with and I am at a loss for info

Old 05-02-2001, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fought this battle when buying & loading my '63 LeMans, the two front wheels were flat, rusted on the beads & would not hold air. They were facory 15" & I pitched them. Duhhh, really stupid...Ended up using some tire shop Ford 15x6 wheels but the insides rub the front suspension & they don't spin freely. Was able to load & unload the car though.

Corvair wheels were typically 13" 4 lug's's or later versions were 14" 5 bolt 4 3/4 bolt pattern, so they won't work.

Early Tempest Wheels...No interchanges in the old 32nd edition Hollander.

Hollander #682...61 Tempest 15 x 4.5, 5 lugs on 4 1/2 bolt pattern.

Hollander #686...62 Tempest 15 x 5.0, 5 lugs on 4 1/2 bolt pattern

Hollander #689...63 Tempest #544738 std 15 x 5, 5 lugs on 4 1/2 bolt pattern
63 Tempest HD #544741 15 x 5.5, 5 lugs on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. Wider wheel was used on '63 Tempest wagons.

61-63 Buick Skylarks & Olds F85's used 4 1/2" bolt pattern wheels in 13" & 14" rim sizes, but were different, they also used different brake drums.

I am looking for some early Torque Thrusts for the front of the 63 so the original wheels are not a big need now.

In a pinch, I would try a variety of 14 x5" or 15x5" Ford steel wheels & find some which don't rub the suspension. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2001, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this is off the subject but OPH what kind of early Torq Thrust wheels are you looking for?

Old 05-02-2001, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken, Really don't know if there are different style variations to these but was hoping to find some 15x5 probably? 4 1/2 bolt pattern. You are THE man on Torque-Thrusts... do you have anything in this size?

I do need to ck with Tom S as whatevever I settle on is going to have to clear the conversion disc brakes which are adapted off of the stock drum spindles.

Old 05-02-2001, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH,im running Cragers,4X15s on the front and 7X15s on the back.On my first one I ran 4in TQ thrust on the front and 7s on the back,also ran 7in Halibrands on the rear.Think I have some old pics I could email.The pic of the first one in Petes book on pg145 shows it with Raider wheels.Tom

Old 05-02-2001, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH, I only have one 5 on 4.5 14x6 torq thrust wheel. Most of the ones I have are 5 on 4.75 pattern. Any Torq Thrust wheel less than 6 inchs wide are very hard to find and most of the vintage ones may be spindle mount wheels.

Old 05-04-2001, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poncho64, A lot of Mopar wheels have same bolt pattern ( 5 on 4 1/2) as the 62 Lemans.(It is same as Ford pattern.) What are your plans for the car? If you need some original wheels I know of a couple of 62 Lemans in junk yards. There may be some other bits and pieces on those cars too so drop me a line and we'll compare some notes. I took a 4 bbl intake off one of those cars a few years ago and as I recall both cars had 4 cyl. engines and running gear still in them. ( I think one had an engine with about 75K miles.) Both were automatics. I also know of a 4dr car that had a front end smashup and has been parked in an open front garage for many moons. If you get real ambitious I know of a junkyard 63 Skylark with the 215 cubic inch aluminum V8 setup which you could transplant.
I've got 63 Lemans cars and stuff. If by any chance your car is automatic and you are going to scrap the running gear, definitely give me a shout. Have fun! Doug

Old 12-01-2001, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Update...
Found the '63 LeMans wheels right in nick of time, right before I moved the '63 inside to yank the transaxle.

Found (2) more '63's, both Tempests & a '62 wagon up north & they were not that wasted. The wagon was sealed up well & interior pieces looked nice. I'm going to be hitting this yard for two days before Christmas, anyone interested in parts off these, feel free & e-mail me & I will take pic's.

Old 12-29-2001, 02:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Roger,

I just ran cross a pretty sad 62 Tempest ragtop in a local yard, not much left. Do you need anything? I will look next visit.

I also know of a very complete 63 LeMans convert, 326 auto that has been siting. It may or may not be for sale, and it would take a little work to get you pointed in that direction, but I might be able to help you out.

Old 12-30-2001, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
Thanks for the heads up on the '62 parts & '63 convt. Returned last night from MN, managed to ck out a few of the before mentioned cars, & another '63 while up that way. Though I'm open to many other '63 LeMans parts, main '63 LeMans concerns are 2 scheduled roadtrips, one for recently found reasonably priced nos windshield, other for some chassis pieces including fabricated front disc brake brackets.

Just got off the the phone with Misus...trying to figure out some sort of lighter weight bucket seat that looks halfway stock & can be reupholstered in a '63 LeMans pattern. Scott pointed me towards older import seats. I had been pondering that idea, just not looking forward to scouring all the miles of import junk in the dozen or so Pick-N-Pulls I normally hit. I'm really at a loss on any specific seat. Ideally would like to save 15-25 lbs a seat.

Will have to drop you an e-mail. Hope your '63 Cat project is picking up steam.