WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Does anyone use this board?

Man, I just joined about a week ago, and I think there have been two posts in this forum. Where did everyone go? It looks like there were people posting here a while back. But now its like a ghost town. I am a member of LS2GTO, so I know that there are a lot of people over there, but doesn't anyone use this forum at all?

Joe

'05 GTO
'72 GTO
'65 GTO
'89 Firebird
'88 Fiero GT
'86 Fiero GT
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i was posting in this forum pretty frequently but just got very busy the last few weeks, kinda busy now but had to check the pontiac sights. i was kinda feelin isolated, but i know theres alot of people posting just there probaly posting in older threads. you wanna talk about a ghost town try pontiac zone
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, this one comes and goes. I know Ohio at least now has buckeyegoats.com where alot of the new guys spend there time. Smaller more focused group than LS1GTO, but LS1 is still the most hit by far...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Suspended

you do and so do others. look at the threads. would great better idea if you posted a technical question or move yours to lobby.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ ? Chooko's referring to this section I believe. Where are you located Chooko, nice car list by the way!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the number of posts varies a lot with time. I have a lot more questions on my '64 GTO restoration and wife's '64 GTO tweaks than I do on my '04 GTO. All I have to do with the '04 is get in and drive!!! I don't even think about carrying a tool box as I do with the '64.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-05-2007, 04:37 AM

Wow "Engineer," your right, my post is really cluttering up all the tech talk on this board. I mean there has been a whole one (1) other active thread since I started watching this board almost a week ago. I can see now how my question was a major distraction to you pouring over the excessive amount of daily tech info here. Also, the title was not nearly clear enough as to the nature of my post, and for that I am truly sorry, as I can see now how it wasted your time by making you believe that it would contain something other than what it actually does. There is nothing like welcoming a new member to get a board active and fun. I was wondering about this board specifically, and now I have a pretty good idea of why no one posts here. So thank you for answering my next question before I had to ask it.

Humbler-Thanks man. I am actually stationed in Okinawa, Japan right now, but all of my cars are at home in California, parked next to my Dads '67 and '69 GTO's. Seriously, I have looked through a lot of the earlier threads here, and am I correct in deducing that people have been pretty much run out of this board by some less than enthusiastic opinions about the newer Goats? I'd like to have one forum where I can come for ALL my cars, because right now I am reading three-four forums a day. But it seems like there might be some hard feelings here? Anyway, I checked out the links in your sig. That looks like a Beautiful '70 you have there. Is yours the one next to a red '04 in the club pics?

Dick Boneske-I hear you on that. You have got TWO '64's? Man, thats awesome!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, that's my 70 and former 04. ;-( I'd say you see some of the same distaste for the classic guys on new car forums but certainly the angst against the new cars is much more prevalent among the classic folks and in particular here. Really though its only a handfull that are disrespectful when it comes down to it. The MAJORITY by far on all boards are pro GTO classic and new though.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New GTO's

Yep, some people just don't get it.

Were supposed to have fun with this hobby and these forums are supposed to be where you can do just that. I have been racing and restoring Pontiacs since the late 70's. I have owned well over 50 Pontiacs including GTO's, Trans Ams, Catalina's, Grand Prix's, Grand Am's etc.... The first GTO that got me started (prior to Pontiacs I had quite a few Mustangs and an occasional Camaro) was a 69 4-speed car. I drove that car for 10 years, did two body-on restorations to it, drag raced it, drove it to college, and dated a girl across the state with it. I had a lot of fun with that car. I currently have a 04 GTO and this car reminds me a lot of the 69. Not in the styling but in the fun factor.

I currently own both classic and new Pontiacs and find them both enjoyable. To tell the truth the styling on the 04 is "growing" on me. I have the SAP grills, factory 18" wheels, removed the rear wing, added different taillights but left the stock hood and exhaust. It has a nice clean kind of "sleeper" look to it. From what I have been noticing a lot of people are starting to "warm up" to the newer GTO's. The pricing on low mileage used 04's is very attractive and they seem to be getting more popular with the "classic" Pontiac people.

MarkC
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Agree!

I have been very busy as of late myself. Some things are clearing up and should be carousing the forums again soon. I think this goes for most of us gear heads. We'd rather be in the garage than on a forum.

peace

Den Pferd leckt de Eier meiner Ziege
Spricht Ihr Deutsch?

"I got my mojo workin" -ac(cc)

1 of 478

crackers cheese

gummy fish lollipops

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How can you not like this new car!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bCh6TmeDy40
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know I like them. Got my 05 a couple weeks ago. It doesn't get the same type of attention as my 67 did but it still does garner it's fair share of stares. There will always be a very fond spot in my heart for the 67, but I (we) will get much more use out of this newer performance vehicle.
I belong to the local GTO club and the guys with these models attend most all of the cruises that we do. The owners of the olders models do not bring theirs out near as often. Nor do they drive them the distance for some of the events. I did because my car was highly modernized and modified. Even then it was just not as much fun as this one is.
Not long after I purchased it I let one my friends drive it. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. He just could not get over the response, the power, the handling, and how well it stopped when he got going too fast.
So, I still come here and look at the posts on this gen GTO to learn and help someone else if I am able to.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are quite a few of us here who own both old and new Goats. I've been here since 2003 and frankly, grew tired of all the negative posts referencing the new Goat. I own the following Pontiacs: 2006 GTO, 2004 GTO, 1972 GTO, 1971 Lemans Sport, 1972 Grand Prix. I've had in my constant possession at least one vintage Pontiac since 1976, and normally averaged two or three. I've been ridiculed for my ability to discern a real GTO from what's popularly accepted. So I pretty much gave up on this section and this board. I still lurck but don't post much. I find much more satisfaction driving my new Goats than arguing about what constitutes a real GTO.

Like most on this board, I've always longed for the reemergence of the GTO. But, personally, I preferred a modern interpretation over a carbon copy of some bygone model. Unlike most, I accepted the new Goat for what it is, rather than what it is not. Although I agree the styling could have been better, I'm perfectly happy that I have a car that totally satisfies on ALL other fronts.

So rather than continually harping on broken-record sentiments, I enjoy my new Goats and forego discussing my experiences here. But trust me, there are more of us here than you think. I find it rather comical that a board called "performance years" chooses to ignore or minimize the cars possessing the BEST performance. SIMPLY because it looks like other MODERN Pontiacs?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty wild that there are almost the same amount of members on LS1GTO as there are here. LS1 has only been around since 2003...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hemmings did a study on demographics one year and most guys are completely out of the car hobby by 70-73, I cant remember the exact age but around there. Many are done by mid to late 60s.

Didnt this happen at POCI?

These new gen cars will be the collectors of the future.

Young men already buying up 80's cars (ricers and American) in mass.

Its a generation thing.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 PM

I've had my 2006 GTO for one year and put 19,890 on it already.
Real GTO for sure.
There were some on here that constantly berated the '04-'06 GTO because it wasn't retro or made in the US.
Look what they made me do with my sig.
They should be back any time now....
Old 12-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Well, looks like there are enough people watching this board to keep it interesting. I read through some of the archives, and I saw some of what you all were talking about with the bashing. Oh well. Hopefully they keep it up, and everyone else believes it. That way in a few years, the prices will be way down, and those of us that like the new GTO's will be able to buy a few more for cheap!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the '04-'06's are real GTO's for certain. However, if I'm selling one of mine, it will probably be the '04 rather than the '64. Does this mean I am desperate to hold onto my youth or ?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Suspended

by the way I own over 10 pontiacs including a 04 GTO.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:35 PM

+1 for engineer.

Probably had about half, cumulatively, not at the same time. One day!