Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quick tip on Tractor servicing that YOU do

You "Should" grease your fittings every so often, BUT,
You "Should" EXERCISE the loader, steering, hoe, etc into different positions
than just "Parked" when greasing to evenly distribute grease to the whole area than needs it, like loader pins, hoe pins, etc.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would strongly recommend one of those "lock-on" type grease gun fittings ... expensive but they work great, save a ton of grease, and make much less mess.

Most be would be surprised at the recommended greasing schedule ... it's basically every time you use the implement.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having worked on union jobs that my employer rented equipment to, part of the operating engineers job is to grease that piece of equipment every morning before they hop on it. Most of the union guys followed that, and did what was expected. They had grease guns provided by the company.

On a union job the greasing prevented a lot of wear, non union jobs you never saw an operator touch a grease gun. So yes it makes a huge difference if you grease it regularly. Having had to do pins and bushing replacement on rentals, you get to appreciate when a professional does what is expected from the manufacturers maintenance directions.

We did in field PMs on our rentals, usually on I/C powered equipment at 150 hours. If the equipment didn't see grease for 150 hours, most of the pivot joints were junk, and would need either field replacement, if it was a fairly simple replacement, or they'd swap another piece of equipment, and bring it back to the shop for service.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-30-2022, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kubota's maintenance schedule says to grease every zerk at 100 hour intervals and front end loader/back hoe zerks every 10 hours. As an old guy once told me though "grease is cheaper than iron, boy", so more often will not hurt anything. 100 hours on all zerks on any tractor seems kind of light to me. I just checked John Deere's intervals and it says all zerks every 10 hours under extremely wet or muddy conditions or every 50 hours otherwise.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My point is to NOT Grease Zerks with implements in their REST POSITIONS . LIFT the loader, the arms move some to the sides and grease can get to spots it cant at rest.