THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
Saw this near me the other day. I thought the only way to know if a car had a Bobcat treatment was with a receipt of the work done by the dealer?

https://www.classiccarsofsarasota.co...yal-bobcat-gto

If anyone wants me to look at it closer I can. I pass the building 2X a day.
You are correct. That car is NOT a Bobcat car. I stopped counting everything thats wrong with it.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The funny thing is if they had advertised the car as a Royal Bobcat tribute then most would say the car looks good. But they shot themselves in the foot when they claimed that this is a real Royal Bobcat. Making the claim that a car is a Royal Bobcat is impossible without paperwork from Royal Pontiac. Even then there are different types of Bobcats. The “Holy Grails” would be the “press” cars. These are the cars that were prepped for magazine articles and were raced on Woodward and at tracks around the country. These were the cars with special paint schemes. Next may be cars that were prepared for special people like GM executives. Some of these cars may have had larger engines installed like 421’s and 428’s. Next in line would be cars that were purchased by customers and had a Bobcat package installed. Last would be people around the country who purchased the Bobcat kit and installed it themselves. Obviously some “Bobcated” cars are worth more than others, but they all need documentation from Royal Pontiac. I wonder which version this car for sale what built to be.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
The funny thing is if they had advertised the car as a Royal Bobcat tribute then most would say the car looks good. But they shot themselves in the foot when they claimed that this is a real Royal Bobcat. Making the claim that a car is a Royal Bobcat is impossible without paperwork from Royal Pontiac. Even then there are different types of Bobcats. The “Holy Grails” would be the “press” cars. These are the cars that were prepped for magazine articles and were raced on Woodward and at tracks around the country. These were the cars with special paint schemes. Next may be cars that were prepared for special people like GM executives. Some of these cars may have had larger engines installed like 421’s and 428’s. Next in line would be cars that were purchased by customers and had a Bobcat package installed. Last would be people around the country who purchased the Bobcat kit and installed it themselves. Obviously some “Bobcated” cars are worth more than others, but they all need documentation from Royal Pontiac. I wonder which version this car for sale what built to be.
I think he put stickers on the C pillars and valve covers and called it a day.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Tom V...I agree, there's nothing wrong with building a car the way YOU want it...but when you try to sell it as "what it's NOT"... THAT'S a problem.
TOTALLY AGREE!!!! I expect my son to pass on my 64 Convertible to his son at some point after I am long gone.

Tom V

What the guy is trying to pull is the basic scam on the unaware.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I noticed in the second video that the Royal Bobcat stickers were missing on the pillars.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Likelihood of it being a real Royal car is about zero. Stunning color combo, though...

Old 01-28-2022, 04:39 PM
Senior Chief

Shaffo acquired the dealer from the Wilson's, that's when I started working there. 2 of the techs stayed on and I learned a lot about Royal from them.

As said, there were many different flavors, both installed and mail order, but as I was told the core parts were the thinner GM head gaskets and McKellar cams.

The dealer was under GM Motors Holdings at the time and Shaffo lasted less than a year when Fresard took it over. Took a couple years before Fresard owned it. My dad bought several Bonneville's from Royal, but finally went to another dealer due to poor service for the regular customers. Poorly managed, put them out of business.

I found the picture below under my workbench when I moved in. On the back is written that this guy installed Rader wheels, Michelin tires, had the engine balanced and heads ported, Cyclone headers. After saying thank you, he writes "This GTO is the best thing since sex." At least some customers were happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img001.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	582977  

The Following User Says Thank You to HoovDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car, but if its not a Royal car theres no way they should say that. I know nothing at all about GTO's or Royal Bobcat, but do know about them. If I had that kind of money laying around I would be tempted to buy then, end up with egg on my face.

And for the record its 'Concours, not Concoarse'

Old 01-28-2022, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post

And for the record its 'Concours, not Concoarse'
I think this one is Con-coarse though. lol

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 01-28-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Desirable 1965 Pontiac GTO TRI power 4 speed on the planet the ROYAL BOBCAT frame off powder coated nut and bolt concoarse restoration to the highest of industry standards." LOL!

It's bad enough when Internet bulletin board & car & parts sellers use the erroneous spelling concourse in restored automobile descriptions, instead of the correct term Concours. Beyond annoying... outright ignorance. I've actually asked a few sellers that wouldn't know a cutting edge Concours restoration if they saw one, "what is a "concourse" restoration?" Is it a "restored" car that all the repop parts you threw on it, were they ordered on your smart phone in the Concourse of your local Airport???

Old 01-28-2022, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps the guy is running a "Con Course"...tuition looks too expensive.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like ConCoors.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also think that the dumb ass in the video did not know what GTO stood for. I NEVER met a true car guy that did not know that.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

Should the top of the doors, the steel part on the inside be painted black to match the dash?

Old 01-29-2022, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice GTO, but nearly all that's claimed on the video is BS.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-29-2022, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
Should the top of the doors, the steel part on the inside be painted black to match the dash?
No, the "A" pillar and top of door should match.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
My 66 was sold new here in the Southeast in mid June 1966. The original owner ordered it to race. It was taken to Boomershine Pontiac at the end of July 1966. They installed the Royal Bobcat package on the car. Boomershine ordered the package. Even though the car was not purchased through Royal some dealers did install the packages since the kits could be mail ordered. The invoice for the work stated "No Warranty on Parts or Labor"

This car the OP posted has very few original pieces left.
That's right about other dealers, but also to the general public. My dad ordered a #2 level kit somewhere in 1962 or 63 for our 59 Catalina. Royal Pontiac had advertisements running in all the car magazines at that time.

Last edited by U47; 01-29-2022 at 11:16 PM.