Old 11-29-2021, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Convertible top frame painting

One of my projects this winter is to repaint the top frame on my 66 LeMans. The previous owner slopped on some black paint and didn't prepare before painting. I want to peel and sand off the old finish and have started but was wondering if there is a better way. It would help if the top material was not attached to the frame. So my question is" I have a top that is in excellent condition and fits tight is there a way to detach the frame from the top material, do my sanding and painting, and then reattach?

Old 11-29-2021, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately not. There are staples and glue holding it all taught, so you can only try to sand paint around what you see as an assembly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd live with the sloppy paint until I needed a new top.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I painted mine in the car with SEM Trim black. Turned out much better then expected.. I did some light sanding, cleaned off with surface prep, masked off one section of arm at a time and hit it with the bomb can. That was like 5 years back I think. Still looks good and holding up well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohrt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that l think on it, waiting for a new top could be a long wait.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I painted mine in the car with SEM Trim black. Turned out much better then expected.. I did some light sanding, cleaned off with surface prep, masked off one section of arm at a time and hit it with the bomb can. That was like 5 years back I think. Still looks good and holding up well.
I think that's what I will do, thanks.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your car is finished, I don't think I'd be trying to spray anything to make it look better. You're better off trying to just brush on paint a bit better than previous person did it. A foam brush would leave the streaks out of it. Most people don't see or look at those top bars. They do see your interior seats, windows, paint, etc. that will get overspray though!

Old 12-01-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I have done this with top in straight up position.
The car had power top so it stayed there.
Plastic covered car and seats. Wirked out well.
Used Sem trim black as well.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a picture of what I'm removing from the top frame. As said earlier the PO didn't properly prepare the old surface but it did stick in some places. I'm glad that I'm taking it off and I will prepare it properly. Thinking of using an air brush to paint it since the fabric top is attached and an airbrush can shoot the paint in all the hard places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	579074