Old 11-03-2021, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cam's metal work is amazing... at least to those of us who don't have his skills! You are so fortunate to have someone with his skills working on your project. I can't imagine what that's costing.... There's some serious time and skillsets and tooling involved there. You've definitely got one of the best working on that car.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Cardo -- Cam is a serious craftsman who really takes pride in doing the job right and getting the car metal finished to limit the filler involved. We've certainly put some hours into getting the sheet metal squared away. One saving grace is how little I paid for the car.

This is the dream car that I wanted since I first laid eyes on one about 35 yrs. ago - so it is an all-out effort to get it finished to the level that is in my head. And then drive it until it needs done again ()

Thanks everyone for your support, comments and inspiration. It really does help keep me on track...

Old 11-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Everybody -- I hope I'm not boring anyone with the metal fabrication aspects of this restoration. But here is some eye-candy from the firewall repair for those who are interested in the fabrication and metal finishing.

Here is the patch being fabricated that joins the cowl seal area show above joined with the upper portion of the firewall above the heater box.

You'll notice in the top image the difference between the metal finished portion on the left and the rougher portion on the right. Also - if you look at the second image you can just see the weld seam on the panel.

The bottom image shows the panel complete with the "dimples" along the top and total metal finishing done.

The images below are views of the panel test fitted to the firewall. The lower patches are already fabricated - so hopefully this will all be coming together into a final repair shortly.

Thanks again to everyone who is following along on this journey with me. It is amazing how much being a part of this forum keeps me inspired to continue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl_Seal_Patch_Fab.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	577587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl_Seal_Test_Fit_2.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	577588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl_Seal_Test_Fit_1.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	577589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl_Seal_Test_Fit_3.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	577590  

Old 11-12-2021, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice progress! Having the firewall repairs all done will be a nice step forward. I just read through all nine pages of this build thread again. It's fun to see the progress and see how far you've come.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 11-13-2021, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ZeGerman — it would seem that the end of the metal work is in sight. Cam is saying my car will be the next to leave his shop - so he can get going on some serious projects.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1_Wild_Cat...and yours isn't a "serious" project? The metal work is certainly serious. The pics of the progress are impressive...keep em coming.

Old 11-13-2021, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Indeed, I really enjoy seeing photos of the metal work. For someone like me, it's an opportunity to sincerely admire the talents of others which I do not possess. For others, it can provide meaningful opportunities to learn how to approach tasks on their own cars in the future.

Once the firewall is done, what's next on Cam's list before the GTO "graduates" from bodyshop?

Old 11-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
1_Wild_Cat...and yours isn't a "serious" project? The metal work is certainly serious. The pics of the progress are impressive...keep em coming.
Haha...That's probably not how he phrased it...but compared to some projects waiting in the wings mine isn't too bad. Should have more progress updates soon. Glad you are following the build.

Quote:
Once the firewall is done, what's next on Cam's list before the GTO "graduates" from bodyshop?
After this it should be a few small things - the rockers are the only area that hasn't been explored but they seem to be OK. So - some light straightening of the radiator support, a couple of small creases in one door, and welding up a few small holes. Fingers-crossed it plays out that way. Thanks for checking in and for your build thread - there's some great inspiration in that.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
After this it should be a few small things - the rockers are the only area that hasn't been explored but they seem to be OK. So - some light straightening of the radiator support, a couple of small creases in one door, and welding up a few small holes. Fingers-crossed it plays out that way. Thanks for checking in and for your build thread - there's some great inspiration in that.
That's a pretty small and seemingly easy list! If all goes to plan, you'll have your car out of there before you know it. I'm looking forward to seeing the next stage, as I'm sure you are, too.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the next stage, as I'm sure you are, too.
ZeGerman -- I will likely have to fight off giggling-fits for several days after it comes home to my shop. I am anxious now - since I finally have a place where I can work on it.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Everybody -- I'm glad to see a bunch of people still following along and tracking the metal work on this project.

We have made some more progress...Although - we are delayed on remaking the lower patch, since sheet steel has been slow in coming.

But on the bright side the top section is about in and looking good. I never realized the firewall is three layers thick along the upper seam. Here is a look at it:

For those (like me) who were wondering how the passenger side would terminate at the end of the new channel.

A little bit of work required on the other end bringing the ends together where they belong...

We are hoping for it coming home around Christmas time...that would be a great holiday surprise.

Thanks everyone for following along - I hope everyone is enjoying the ride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cowl Seal Patch Installed 5.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	579075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl Seal Patch Installed 3.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	579076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl Seal Patch Installed 1.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	579077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl Seal Patch Installed 6.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	579078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl Seal Patch Installed 2.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	579079  

Old 02-25-2022, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wild Cat - bumping this back up. Any progress.... looked like it was getting close to being done with metal.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Cardo - Thanks for the bump. We are still gaining a little day-by-day -- but I got a little delayed when my guy ended up with the bad version of Covid. It knocked him down for a solid month. Last weekend I was out at his shop stripping the last of the stuff that was in the way for getting primer laid (side windows, regulators, dash, etc.).

But yes - so close to having her in my new shop that I can barely stand it. So much so - That Dick B., Bob V. and Andre all got parts orders from. So did Ames.

Thanks again for the bump. Everyone following along keeps me inspired.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't wait to see some paint on that car....very rare color combination these days. I think I've only seen one in your color in person... it was a Tempest out at Norwalk.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can't wait for color either...I have only seen one in this color combo myself - it was at the fancy auction that runs during Hot August Nights in Reno last year. It was inside under those weird lights so it was hard to get a sense of the real color. There are a few 63/64 'vettes running around in Saddle Bronze (well they called it Saddle Tan).

It has to be the best "Sleeper" color for a '64...It says: "Sure it's a GTO but look at that color - definitely an automatic and a 4-barrel".

I'm still trying to get a handle on the interior vinyl - The sample from Legendary looks like gold foil...I just don't think it is right. But my hunt for an original piece of vinyl from underneath a seat hasn't been successful yet.

I posted this a few pages ago but...Here are the color and vinyl samples (for fun).

Left to Right: Upper Dash, Lower Dash, Exterior

The SMS vinyl sample next to the Legendary sample...

If I can't resolve the vinyl thing to my satisfaction I've considered going to a Red interior. Not sure I would do it though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spray Outs and Vinyl.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	584878   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMS Interior Sample.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	584879  

Old 03-15-2022, 07:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi everyone -- I wish this was the post when I could say that the car was back in my shop with the metal work finished...but I can't so...

I'll give you a vinyl update, which is like the next best thing...Thanks to a member here (Wooftfd) I have a sample of original 216 - Saddle interior vinyl cut from a protected location on the back seat.

The good news is a really like it. The bad news is it doesn't match the samples form either SMS or Legendary. Here is a look...SMS on the left, original in the middle and Legendary on the right.

I am really not happy with either reproduction option. My current plan is to get in contact with Legendary and see if maybe they sent the wrong sample or if there is another option. I guess I will contact PUI too.

Any advice?

Thanks for following along.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vinyl_Orig_vs_Legendary and SMS.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	586380   Click image for larger version

Name:	VinylCurved.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	586381  

Old 03-15-2022, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Huh, well that's frustrating. I agree that neither is a good match for the original. Looks like SMS has a more accurate replication of the texture at least, but the color is very wrong. I'll be interested to learn what you hear from Legendary. I wonder if they can source the material in a color that is a better match.

Also, very cool that another member here cut a section of his interior to send as a reference sample. That level of generosity is what makes this community so great.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Also, very cool that another member here cut a section of his interior to send as a reference sample. That level of generosity is what makes this community so great.
I completely agree - I was blown away.

Quote:
I'll be interested to learn what you hear from Legendary.
I sent Legendary a message through their website and heard back from them in less than an hour. After some emailing back-and-forth - they asked that I send them a portion of the cut-off piece, and they will see if they can come up with a better match. So - hopefully we will end up with a better option.

I will say I am really impressed by the person from Legendary I was in touch with (Lucy) and by extension the company. Amazing response time and willing to help figure out a better option.

Thanks everyone for following along.

Old 09-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Everyone -- Time for an update. I was holding off on it since I was hoping to post photos of her back in my shop. Unfortunately, the word of the day is Delay.

However - I do think (hope) that we are back on track and now have a plan to finish up.

But I'll focus on the positive - and that is the firewall is finally finish welded into the car. Here are some pics. As you can see - the patch ended up being pretty large. (Somehow I didn't end up with a picture of it welded in).

I also managed to score a really nice factory radio for reasonable money.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and for following along.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cut_Firewall.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	597685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewall_Patch_Final.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	597686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	597687  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1_Wild_Cat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice! Unfortunately delay is usually a part of this hobby. Still looking good and glad to see that you're seeing this through. I believe for every one of these cars that we see finished to this level, there's probably 3 or 4 that are never finished, or totally half a$$ed. Any word from Legendary on your materiel match?