Old 12-29-2021, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gm and their interior self tapping screws

I'm noticing a lot of instances while installing my interior of screw holes in various pieces not lining up with the holes in the body. In most of these cases it appears that self drilling screws were used to install them from the factory.

I'm using interior parts from a parts car that was built in a different plant than the car I am restoring. In some cases the holes can be close to 1/2" off.

When I think about it, I doubt the assembly line workers spend a minute on each screw trying to find a Fisher pre-drilled holes ... they probably just ran in these self drilling screws.

Examples would be the arm rest mounting screws, pillar post pad screws, and in one case a single random screw in the middle of the sail panels.

On one rear armrest the screw hole in the body was off by at least 1/4", don't know how they even got an arm rest to work on it. I spent an hour trying to get those holes lined up. Ended up putting in the rear screw and just taking the OEM self drilling screw and running it in .... went in very nicely, job done ... but it did drill it's own new hole.

So, anyone know if the interiors were installed this way ... or were there all pre-drilled holes in the bodies?

Old 12-29-2021, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also had a very difficult time installing the arm rests. It seemed the holes were way off. All interior parts came with the car, but the doors were from another (I also got the original not so good doors with car). I was finally able to get the arm rests screwed to door, but it took a bit of maneuvering the screws that went in at an angle as well as the straight in ones. You can only start them and work back and forth screwing them in. Other panels in back also were a challenge to find.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I ran into the same issues, specifically with the rear panels on my 1969 Firebird. I was replacing from new repop materials. I have a similar post to this in here and at the end of the day I had to do the same thing, run self tappers, or drill new holes.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Many of the repop fasteners for these location are incorrect too, the arm rest screws everyone is selling are not self tapping like the originals. I sorted all my OEM interior screws in a bin and probably 20% of them are self tapping.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Yup also had that issue. I had to locate my arm rests exactly like factory and had to make some changes to the door card as a result.