Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 PM

Question Anybody from Biloxi Miss.? Looking for old dealer info.

I had a PHS done on my 71 T/A and it came back with being sold at Pattison Pontiac in Biloxi. There is like no info on this dealer except that there were a few Pattison dealers around the country but did not find any info on the one that sold my car. I found some info on the family that said they were one of the largest Pontiac dealers at that time. Funny how I cant find ant memorabilia on the dealer like a license plate frame. If anybody has any info, pics or anything on Pattison Pontiac I would be really interested. Walt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	356828  

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds his nut's
Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Pattison pontiac in Biloxi was destroyed in hurricane Camille in 1969. They also had a dealership in New Orleans. It might be possible that the dealership was still operating business out of Biloxi, but the car may have come out of New Orleans.

Rare Espresso Brown Ram Air III, 4 speed, manual steering with power disc brakes and factory build sheet indicating 4:88 special order rear axle.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you post a scan of the dealer section of the PHS?

Does it give an address and dealer number?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM

The dealer order form from PHS and if you have the factory build sheet will supply you with that information. I have also found a list of dealer codes from that era on the internet. Email me what info you have and I will try to help. mpmsmusclecars@gmail.com

Rare Espresso Brown Ram Air III, 4 speed, manual steering with power disc brakes and factory build sheet indicating 4:88 special order rear axle.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From a history of homes in the Biloxi area, this one named "Loveland". The Pattison dealership may have been wrecked by Camille, but I don't believe it put them out of business according to this account.

"After the death of Mrs. Brown on March 30, 1921, Katherine Bird, possibly her daughter, became the legal owner when Theodore Bechtel (1863-1931), the executor of Mrs. Sheldon's estate deeded it to her. Katherine Bird was also a resident of Adrian in Lenawee County, southwest of Detroit, Michigan. She sold the Sheldon home to Cara Jeanette Pattison (1864-1956) for $2500 in May 1925.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Book. 51, pp. 17-18 and Bk. 55, p. 223)

Miss Pattison resided in the home with her spinster sisters, Elizabeth Kemp Pattison (1864-1943) and Annie Pattison (1870-1957), and bachelor brother, Charles Ernest Pattison (1867-1940), known as “Bulldog” Pattison for his facial resemblance to this canine.

The Pattisons were natives of Brooklyn, New York. Their parents were William James Pattison (1827-1897) and Caroline Loveland (1842-1901), also New Yorkers. They settled at New Orleans where Charles E. Pattison was in the importing business with his brother, Alfred Taylor Pattison (1862-1930). At Ocean Springs, C.E. Pattison was in the real estate and insurance business. He was a judge in the Justice of the Peace Court from 1936 until his demise.

After the death of Miss Annie Pattison on September 20, 1957, her nephew, George Pandely Pattison (1906-1978), inherited her Cleveland Avenue home. The Pattison sisters had continuously occupied their home at 527 Cleveland for thirty-two years. They were good Presbyterians. All family members were interred at the Live Oak Cemetery in Pass Christian, Mississippi.(Jackson County, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 14055, Estate of Annie Pattison, August 1958).

George P. Pattison

George Pandely Pattison was an automobile dealer at New Orleans. He moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast in 1970, from New Orleans. In 1958 George p. Pattison purchased the Pontiac Dealership in Biloxi, and his son Theodore W. 'Ted' Pattison (1926-2009) managed it until 1966 when he purchased it in 1982. The Cleveland Avenue home was soon referred to as The Big House by the Pattison family. The Big House was enjoyed by the children, grandchildren, and their families for the ensuing 35 years. The intention was for the home to be kept, if at all possible, in ownership by the Pattison family members, but due to financial setbacks, John C. Buck Jr. the son of Patricia Loveland Pattison Buck sold it to Jerry Pelham in October 1994. It should also be noted that upon inheriting the home, George P. Pattison enlarged the kitchen and the dining areas and installed the swimming pool. The house was supremely built and has withstood many hurricanes with only minor damage over it's entire existence.

Ted Pattison and others

In July 1973, George P. Pattison sold the old Pattison home of his aunts to his sons, William T. Pattison and Theodore W. 'Ted' Pattison.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 468, p. 301)

Theodore W. Pattison conveyed the house to John C. Buck Jr. of Chevy Chase, Maryland in June 1990.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 960, p. 630)

J.C. Buck Jr., the son of Patricia Loveland Pattison Buck, was the nephew of Ted Pattison and never lived in the home. His mother married John C. Buck and Albert Sidney Johnston III and had a large family. She once lived across the street in the John E. Godsey Cottage at 502 Martin Avenue. Mr. Buck sold to Jerry L. Pelham in October 1994.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 1050, p. 284)

Jerry L. Pelham

Jerry L. Pelham, a native of Graceville, Florida, and his spouse, Margaret I. “Peggy” Pelham, a West Virginia born lady, who like many people become enamored with the congenial atmosphere of Ocean Springs, decided to relocate here from the Florida panhandle. In October 1994, they acquired the historic Sheldon-Pattison home, located on the northwest corner of Cleveland and Martin. Contemporaneously, Mr. Pelham changed businesses. He sold his Florida- based, property and casualty, insurance agency, and purchased several hamburger restaurants in the region.

The Pelhams came to Ocean Springs from Fort Walton Beach, Florida. During their occupancy of the home, they have: in 1995, built a three-car garage and erected a wood fence on the west side of the property; painted the interior and exterior of their home; and also built a “cat-house” for their feline pets. Jerry Pelham is the proprietor of several Crystal Hamburger restaurants in the region. His wife, Peggy, is an artist who has painted several murals in her home.

Pelham Building

In February 1996, the Pelhams acquired from the Ocean Springs Lumber Company the old Phil J. Weider (1887-1985) property on the northwest corner of Government at Cash Alley and contracted with Anchor Realty and Daniel Jalanivich to erect a new structure here. Demolition of the derelict Wieder-Engbarth garage building commenced in September 1996. New construction to replicate the timeworn and termite-tasted, former Wieder treasure began in December 1996.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 1080, p. 560)

In May 1997, Jerry Pelham moved his Krystal hamburger operations into the second story of the 3600 square-foot, structure. Lady Di's, a floral gallery, which opened in June 1997, is situated in the east half of the edifice. In the fall of 1997, Peggy Pelham opened her art gallery in the west-half of the building. Mrs. Pelham hangs her own canvas creations as well as those of other Southern artists. She also markets eclectic stoneware, sculpture, and stain-glass of gift quality. When the Pelhams left Ocean Springs for Alabama in 2001, a decision was made to sell this structure. It was sold to the proprietors of their tenant, Lady Di’s, in ?

Today

The Sheldon-Pattison-Pelham House has been vacant for over one year. It was placed on the market in June 2001 by Coldwell-Banker’s Alfonso Realty for $470,000. The price was reduced to $395,000 in January 2002. Again in May 2002, with M&M Bank as marketer, the asking bid was lowered. In September 2002, this fine home is currently listed with Harrington Realty Company. Bought by Sherry Cole, formerly of NOLA."

According to this account, George P. Pattison already owned the New Orleans dealership and then purchased the Biloxi dealership in 1958.

It is unclear when his son, took over as manager, the article says Ted managed it until 1966. But then says he bought the dealership in 1982. That leaves a bit of an odd gap, considered George died in 1978. Or maybe it meant to say he managed it FROM 1966 until he purchased it in 1982?

Incorporation records show that the dealership was incorporated in 1957. There were amendments filed in 1968 and again in 1982.

I suspect the dealership was actually purchased by George in 1957 rather than 1958.

Perhaps the 1968 amendment was estate planning to begin turning the business over to Ted.

George moved from New Orleans to the Mississippi Gulf Coast as indicated by the article in 1970. I speculate that he did so possibly to help with the recovery of the Biloxi dealership after Camille and/or because he was considering retirement (he was about 64 at the time).

Only speculation, but I believe if the PHS shows the '71 TA was sold to the Biloxi dealership, I doubt it passed thru the New Orleans location. Indications are that Pattison Pontiac continued in business in Biloxi after Camille.

The obituary for Ted's brother, Albert who died in 2004 mentions that his family had owned the New Orleans Pontiac dealership, claiming it was the largest Pontiac dealer in the world at one time. It mentions the New Orleans Mazda dealership (that George acquired around 1971), saying Albert was the first Mazda dealer in Louisiana. It goes on to say "he and his family" also owned another Pontiac-Cadillac dealership in Kentucky, and the Biloxi Pontiac dealership.

There was another brother, Bill, whose obit in 1986 described him as the former owner of the Hopkinsville, KY Pontiac-Cadillac dealership.

Ted Pattison died in 2009, still in Ocean Springs.

This email address may be for his grandson (I suspect too young to be a son), a tennis pro, formerly of Ocean Springs. tedpattison@usptapro.com

Might be worth an email to see what you can find out about the dealership. Who knows, maybe he has some memorabilia ready to sell.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks to everybody that has contributed to this post. I checked my PHS and the address is as follows.

George-Pontiac-Pattison, Inc.
102 E. Beach
Biloxi, MS 39530

Dealer code is 319 539

Looks like the date of execution is 09-10-70

Please let me know if this info leads to anything. Walt.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Walt(?) !

That means Pattison had at least 2 sites.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Walt, I have a good friend that grew up in that area in the '60s. His family ran a hardware store, I think it was in Pass Christian or Gulfport. He knew many of the prominent folks in the area.

I will try to remember to ask him what he remembers of the dealership and if he knew anything about the Pattisons. He and his wife still go back to visit his sister who rebuilt after getting hammered by Katrina. Maybe he knows of a place that is likely to sell local memorabilia. Will post after I see him next.

Another suggestion, google Gulfport antique shops and give 'em a call. Chance that they might have Pattison Pontiac memorabilia.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Thanks John and John,

So, is it correct that the car was sold at the Bilioxi dealership? I am making a show sign and need to be sure. I will take your advise and do a search for those shops you mentioned. Great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Must be old age! Again, any leads are always appreciated. Walt.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say it came from there.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree.

Take a look at the Invoice record from PHS.

Bottom left side shows the dealer name and address that PMD sold the car to.

The car was shipped to that address UNLESS there is another ship to address shown on the bottom right side where the caption says, "SHIPPED TO - SAME (UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED)".

Assuming that section is blank like the vast majority are, then it was shipped to the same Biloxi address where it was invoiced.

John, I think you have to count the dealership in Hopkinsville, KY as a 3rd.

Not sure why they took that location.

A daughter of George P. Pattison lived in Hopkinsville and died there in 2011.

Some obits refer to her as Gloria Pattison Dulin, others say Gloria Patterson Dulin.

Then there is this pair of legal notices in a '72 Kentucky newspaper, one concerning a '68 GTO.

Looks like GMAC was auctioning off a couple cars at Patterson Pontiac-Cadillac in Hopkinsville.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=5345,628522

Good chance it was the dealership run by Bill Pattison. Was "Patterson" a typo or did they use that name on purpose? Who knows?

Old 01-05-2022, 12:26 AM

I’m a Pattison so maybe I can help a little. I know of three dealerships my family had. Hopkinsville, New Orleans and Biloxi. From what I’ve heard from family, they were pretty popular. The dealership in Biloxi was destroyed by a hurricane. William Pattison was my grandfather. He passed away when I was young.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissap923 View Post
I’m a Pattison so maybe I can help a little. I know of three dealerships my family had. Hopkinsville, New Orleans and Biloxi. From what I’ve heard from family, they were pretty popular. The dealership in Biloxi was destroyed by a hurricane. William Pattison was my grandfather. He passed away when I was young.
Unfortunately the original poster hasn't been here for a couple years, so he may not see your message.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the information, Melissa!

Did you have any other family member that owned a Canada dealership?
I have a listing for Jim Pattison Ltd. (Pontiac-Buick) in Vancouver Canada.