Old 01-13-2022, 11:54 PM

Default Headlights not working

So I just did an engine swap on a 1981 Formula Turbo. The turbo motor has been gone for a while and I was running a mild 400. I just put in a Butler stroker. After the install I have no headlights. Not only that but my power aerial won't go up. Stereo comes on but no aerial. The only things that I've changed on this install is the installation of an MSD box and I deleted all the air conditioning unit. The lights worked fine before. Honestly the wiring is a bit of a mess and needs to be cleaned up as all the old wiring for the turbo motor is still there but I'm at a loss of which to keep and which to get rid of. It would be nice to have everything working as it should and also have the firewall cleaned up. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2022, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably a missing ground strap[s] from the body work to the block.

The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 02:01 AM
Senior Chief

Do the parking lights and turn signals work? I am not sure how the firebird front harness connector is at the firewall, but maybe it came loose while you were working in there?

Old 01-14-2022, 02:46 PM

No parking lights but I do have signal lights, brake lights, and interior lights.

There are 2 ground straps, one that runs from the body (firewall) to the transmission and one that runs from the block to the frame. should the one from the block run to the body?

Old 01-14-2022, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Check the high beam switch, they can mess things up at anytime.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:30 PM

I checked the high beam switch and it appears to be fine

Old 01-16-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is another ground from transmission to frame driver side.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:35 PM

A good 'ole volt meter and harness pin checking for 12 v while turned on helps pinpointing if there is a voltage supply, and then if it is just a bad connection. I found the fog and headlamp connectors needed a little dielectric grease to improve the connection interface after 40+ years.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81TATurbo View Post
I checked the high beam switch and it appears to be fine
Appears (as in looks OK) or did you actually check for voltage with a meter? Turn on the headlight switch. You should find voltage (12 volts or so) on two of the three posts on the dimmer switch. Click the dimmer one time. Voltage should still be present on one of the posts, missing from one of the posts that had it before and present on the post that didn't have it before.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:50 PM

Sorry guys. I haven't used a volt meter yet. Its been -34C (-29F) here with wind chill factors and its not much better today. The problems of not having a heated garage is not having the comfort to do some things over the winter months. I was trying to troubleshoot early and get ideas since its bugging me. Now they're calling for hot to 40cm (15+ inches) of snow into tomorrow morning. I greatly appreciate the feedback and will be back on it as soon as temperatures allow. Thank you!

Old 04-18-2022, 07:56 AM

I tested for current at headlight switch. Does it have to be turned on to test for 12V or is it current all the time? I did test for current with switch off and got nothing. I figured cause the headlights will come on even without the ignition on that there should be 12V present at all times. Also, my power antenna stopped working. Stereo works but the antenna doesn't come up when the unit is turned on. The face usually shows the time when its off but there is nothing there until its turned on. So there is power to it but something is off that there is no display unless its on and the antenna doesn't work. I'm not good with electrical and am not intirely sure how either system works. TIA

Jeff

Old 04-18-2022, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure the 81 bird's had TWO hot wires going through the bulkhead connector to inside the car. Both protected by fusible-link-wires.

I suspect a blown fusible-link or one of the hot wires didn't get reattached during the engine swap.

I do not remember if the fusible-links came off the starter (+) post or if they were in the harness behind the alternator.

Clay

Old 04-18-2022, 11:11 AM

Would you happen to know if the fusibule links are under the dash or in the engine e compartment?

Old 04-18-2022, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post

I do not remember if the fusible-links came off the starter (+) post or if they were in the harness behind the alternator.
Both locations are under the hood

Clay

Old 04-18-2022, 02:30 PM

Sorry. I missed the part about the links coming from the starter post or harness behind the altenator. Trying to do two things at once. I'll check in the next couple of days when I get a break from work. Thanks Clay!