Old 12-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mike, the 65/66 fullsize cars use the same rear bushings as the GTOs use, so the poly bushing are no problem for the rear, but I've yet to find anyone who supplies poly bushings for the front.
Bob

Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM

6t5 thanks for the info.

i'll have to do some digging i thought i saw a kit for the poly front bushings somewhere.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at a 65 Cat the other day. It is the one on collector car trader the beige one on airbags. It was a pretty car. I believe he was running weld evo 18X8 wheels with 245/40/18's on it. It cleared even when it dropped down. I did not see any surgery to the wheelhouse at all. I did not drive it but I did not see any scrubbing on the tires.

Here is another question. How big of a 14 in tire can you buy now? I want to run eight lugs on my car and really want a redline tire.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 AM

hitman, i'd run the repro 15" rims on the 8 lugs just for the tire size selection.

i'm not sure what the largest 70 is but you can still buy a 245 60 r14 which is too wide for these cars.

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cooper Tire still makes and sells a 225/75/14 "Trendsetter SE" tire, it's 27.3" tall. They also sell it under the Mastercraft IV all season brand name. Here's a pix of it on an 8 Lug wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010079vi-vi.jpeg
Views:	480
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	77557  

Old 01-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I was where the repro 8 lugs were about 190.00 a pop. Is that corrrect? I assume that did not include everything you needed.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 PM

for the pricing on the drums check postings in this forum and the new parts forum by dm_fan.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-13-2007, 03:22 PM

I am about to put a rear sway bar and 15" rally II's under my 65 2+2. Dedhead or Mike, do you guys think I can fit 245 60 15's under there?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:32 PM

Let me put that another way. A 245 tire is about 9.65" wide, maybe 11 inches with the bulge? With a 60 percent aspect ratio, the sidewalls should be 5.78" tall each. So add the 15" wheel and I have a tire/wheel that is about 26.6" tall. Does this fit according to you guys' experience? I can and will go to my local tire store once I am rolling again, but I am trying to plan and therefore budget before I get back to work on it. Thanks for any insight.
Barry

Old 02-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Wait. I guess I skipped over Mikes post of 1/7/07. Even with the taller wheel, I guess 245's won't fit.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Here is another question. How big of a 14 in tire can you buy now? I want to run eight lugs on my car and really want a redline tire.
As mentioned above, a 225/75-R14 is the closest thing to the original tires, as far as the height goes. The wider tires that are available in 14" are all shorter, some by quite a bit. I *think* Coker or one of the other vintage tire companies does sell a 235/75-14 but it's really expensive. My second choice would be 225/70-R14; it's still too short but not by a lot, and there are more brands available in that size. I've used that size on several '61 Pontiacs without any problems other than the speedometer reading was probably a little off.

Of course, Coker also sells bias ply tires in the correct size, 8.00 to 8.50-14 depending on the year. They even have them up to 9.00 or 9.50-14 or so that were originally used on big Chryslers, but I don't think bias plies in any size are appropriate anymore for a daily driver.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I bought some 15X6 big car rallys with 235/60/15's on them. I hope that gives a good enough look. We will see soon.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Hitman, can't wait to see how that looks.
Barry

Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are supposed to be here Thursday. And you know they wont stay in the packaging long.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T5 Cat
Mike, the 65/66 fullsize cars use the same rear bushings as the GTOs use, so the poly bushing are no problem for the rear, but I've yet to find anyone who supplies poly bushings for the front.
Bob

after crawling under the g/p today to replace the fuel pump i got to looking at the front control arm bushings.

they looked enough like the a-body units that i ran into the parts store after delivering a customer's car and dug out the moog book. it turns out the lower's use the same part number bushing as a same year gto. so the lowers can be had in poly. i'm going to dig out my poly kit for the 68 gto and see if i can tell just what the difference in the uppers is.

as an fyi the lower's fit 65-70 cars.

i'll post more info as i figure it out.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED
Mike, for my 65GP, I replaced the front lower control arm bushings several years ago with new rubber units from Ames. On each arm, the rearward bushing is round while the forward bushing is oval shaped....is that similar to a 68 GTO?

As for the upper control arms, I don't think there is anything too special about bushings for them. I tried red polyurethane parts several years ago from Summit, that were actually listed for a 65 fullsize Chevy...they lasted about a year before severely deforming, actually got squeezed out of shape. Yanked them back out and replaced with standard rubber bushings bought over the counter at a local Advance auto parts. If I remember right, the counter guy couldn't find a listing for 65 Grand Prix so I told him look up 69 Firebird, and those were a perfect match.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROWHED
Mike, for my 65GP, I replaced the front lower control arm bushings several years ago with new rubber units from Ames. On each arm, the rearward bushing is round while the forward bushing is oval shaped....is that similar to a 68 GTO?

As for the upper control arms, I don't think there is anything too special about bushings for them. I tried red polyurethane parts several years ago from Summit, that were actually listed for a 65 fullsize Chevy...they lasted about a year before severely deforming, actually got squeezed out of shape. Yanked them back out and replaced with standard rubber bushings bought over the counter at a local Advance auto parts. If I remember right, the counter guy couldn't find a listing for 65 Grand Prix so I told him look up 69 Firebird, and those were a perfect match.
the lowers on the a-body's could be either round or oval. the ones on my car are oval as are the ones under the g/p.

when i get time i'm going to measure the uppers compared to the gto's kit i have on the shelf. i did the lowers but not the uppers in the gto's donor frame before i got sidetracked. if the uppers match or are "close enough", i'll throw one of the poly graphite kits in her to see how it works.

i know in one of the other threads i asked about a kit and was told they weren't offered in the urethane units. for those interested i thought i'd post this.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is the red polyurethane fullsize 65-70 Chevy bushing kit I tried a few years ago, Summit #ENS-3-3150R. (I just used the 4 upper control arm parts and tossed the unneeded larger bushings on the shelf).
They deformed badly....the urethane was actually pinched and squeezed out of place, as if the upper control arm had an unusually heavy force pulling it away from the engine, parallel to the ground. Wish I had taken a picture of that before I removed them. Never really understood how or why that happened, as the rubber units in there now are jsut fine. I know these were specified for a 65 fullsize Chevy, but would being designed for a strut rod front suspension really make any difference?? They sure didn't seem to be any softer than any other poly part I've used, and I did use that sticky lubricant that came with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ens-3-3150r_w.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	84751  

Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 PM

i wouldn't think so, unless a different grade / tesile strength [for lack of a better term] is used for different bushings.

i wonder if by using rubber on the lowers, you put more strain on the uppers when they didn't flex as much. [thinking out loud here].

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You may be onto something there Mike. Take a close look at the red bushing picture..notice how the poly used in the upper control arm bushings is more translucent than the larger strut rod bushing.....a iffernt shade of red, and not just becasue it is smaller than the strut part, but more like it was a slightly different, and possibly less rigid material??

Hmmmm....I'll have to dig around in the barn, see if I kept those things by chance, after I took them back out.

If you are still hunting for poly uppers, all Ican say is avoid these 'translucent' bushings!