Old 04-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

66 Bonne -

What manifold is that? How do you keep the paint from burning off there?

Sweet setup.

Jerry-

It is one of those things that is only good after it is long over. State trooper heard me light them up in all 3 gears as he was parked behind a church filling out reports when I rolled by. I guess it took a minute to turn on the radar back in '82. Other uh elements were involved, and surprisingly a ticket for 85 was a relief. Plus, the Trooper's post parental phone call "You did not tell me your father was a lawyer" comment to the passenger and the reply of "You didn't ask". also adds humor though I could have strangled the guy at the time for complicating things by tossing contraband onto the shoulder from a car with a flashing blue light close behind it. None of this ever would have happened in a full-size Pontiac 'cause they have built in stealth - or that is the only explanation I know for not having a repeat in 25 years.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Deadhead - if you are referring to the intake it is an Edelbrock Performer RPM, no problem with the paint. The heat cross over is blocked off. The exhausts/cylinder heads show plenty of wear/burnoff.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have to have an electric choke if you block off the heat riser? I noticed the Exh. manifold & that is why I wondered. My heat riser looks a lot like your Exh. manifold.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Deadhead - this particular motor does not have any choke at all, electric or manual.
It also has no vacuum advance and it starts as soon as I turn the key. P-Dude did a really nice job of setting this motor up.
EVERY Pontiac motor I have ever had - I blocked off the heat crossover from the cylinder heads. I just don't like having that much heat passing under the carb. I have run electric chokes on the other motors. I've never run a heat riser off the exhaust either, just don't like them. Since I'm running Doug's Headers on this motor there is no heat riser mechanism. Thanks for the question, Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank YOU for the information. The thought of life without a choke is a good one. I have always wondered if no crossover caused a prob. with this.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is the next step for the 421s tri-power manifold. That choke stove rig is for the birds. And, if it makes it so the intake will hold paint & cool the carb down all the better.

Thanks again guys.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM

Default My odd one

When have you ever seen this combo???

Here's a shot of my 65 Bonne 4DR HT with factory 421 HO, AT, no PW or power seats, no A/C, rear defroster, Plum interior, 8 lugs, and 4:11's What do you suppose the guy was thinking when he checked those boxes on the order sheet? The ultimate sleeper!! I'm the second owner, the original was a friend of my Dad's & I remember cruising around in the "Black Bomb" from about 4 years of age (both Bonne & I turned the big 40 last year). I was infected early by the sound of that tri-power and I still can't shake it!! What an amazing beast she is. Thought those of you with the heavy metal illness would certainly appreciate it. Thanks to all of you keeping these beautiful machines on the road and sharing them with those of us who love them so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bomb.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	49064  

Old 04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like the world's fastest funeral car !! Very nice ride, a true sleeper. This is one of several cool four doors posted here.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

wow i can't imagine a 421HO with tripower AND such high gearing!! Must be a blast!

Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 PM

Thumbs up MY 64

WOW got to say there are alot of nice looking rides in this post cant wait till spring I just put a set of 6X heads completly rebuilt and at about 93cc on my 455 what a difference it rocks ! I also put a electric water pump and electric fan on it saves a little more HP works real nice now ..still have to put my headers on and change the rear end gears .. I also would like to lower the front end a couple inches anyone know a easy way to do this ??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	455 bonneville 006.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	49462   Click image for larger version

Name:	pontiac2.JPG
Views:	680
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	49463   Click image for larger version

Name:	455 bonneville 008.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	49464   Click image for larger version

Name:	455 bonneville 005.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	49465   Click image for larger version

Name:	642.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	49466  

Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dadzz64- Very cool ride - do you run it at the track? With the changeover to electric water pump drive and electric fans did you notice any difference in water temps ? What parts did you use for the changeover ? I'm thinking about doing that in my 65 Cat w/455.
I dropped the front of my 65 Cat by using lowered front springs. Got a nice stance now and still rides smooth. Got them from a place in Kansas called Coil Springs Specialties. Do a google on that name and they should pop up. A little pricey compared to stock but they went right in. Turn around time was pretty quick too. Changing front springs is fairly easy to do. Just have to be careful to not allow the spring to pop out as that can be dangerous. When changing front springs I put a floor jack under the lower control arm and lower the jack very slowly.
Again, dynamite ride.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM

Here is the '65 with 17" Torq Thrusts I had powder coated to look like the old magnesium center wheels from the '60's. I am going to run these until I sell the car some day, then I will put the (still working) 8-lugs back on. The only problem with this setup is that I had to take off the skirts, and still there is rubbing on the rear fender occasionally. That's what I get for buying used rims from a '62, where they fit fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	040906 003 resized.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	49538   Click image for larger version

Name:	040906 007 resized.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	49539  

Old 04-10-2006, 12:44 PM

While I'm posting pics, I thought y'all would be interested/disgusted by these pics. My wife and I were travelling Northern California last week and stopped by a solar and biofuel energy exhibit. This was their graveyard, where they were showing '60s cars going to "good use". They also had a Buick 'vert, a '60 or so Chevy Impala, and a Caddy or two. While I'm all for researching future methods of powering our transportation, I was not too excited about seeing a Pontiac meet this ending. No good parts on it to speak of, in case you're wondering.

To add to the insult, I ended up with a tick on me from walking through their trees to take these pics. The little bugger started drilling into my arm while I tried to negotiate busy Hwy 101 traffic in SFO, in the rain. It was quite a trick pulling him out slowly without getting myself killed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	040106 074 resized.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	49548   Click image for larger version

Name:	040106 073 resized.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	49549  

Old 04-10-2006, 01:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to PMDman Send a message via Skype™ to PMDman

Hi!Including a photo of my 66"4HT,waiting for a spring that never seems to arrive,today the snow did fall up here in North Sweden.
/Hakan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4100002.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	49554  

Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ouch that is an ugly ending for a great poncho like the one in the pic with the tree growing out of it!! Ah well..

PMDman - i see you're playing quite the showman by giving us just a dim glimpse of the car at first and saving what I bet will be some hard core beauty shots for later!! I never noticed the rear 66 bonneville like I do after seeing it in your pic. Very cool over-extended rear flanks like that. The bumper meets the flanks half way up ! It's like the chrome was on steriods or the sheetmetal and the chrome were batteling over the car or something!

nice!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 bonne
When have you ever seen this combo???

Here's a shot of my 65 Bonne 4DR HT with factory 421 HO, AT, no PW or power seats, no A/C, rear defroster, Plum interior, 8 lugs, and 4:11's What do you suppose the guy was thinking when he checked those boxes on the order sheet? The ultimate sleeper!! I'm the second owner, the original was a friend of my Dad's & I remember cruising around in the "Black Bomb" from about 4 years of age (both Bonne & I turned the big 40 last year). I was infected early by the sound of that tri-power and I still can't shake it!! What an amazing beast she is. Thought those of you with the heavy metal illness would certainly appreciate it. Thanks to all of you keeping these beautiful machines on the road and sharing them with those of us who love them so much.
First of all...
Welcome to the forum!

That is one bad darksider.
Very cool car
Hey...BTW,My Bonneville and I both turned 40 last year also..
It is a nice way to handle Your mid life crisis,and who says the sportscar have to be small...
Stig

Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Hey 66 bonne so far with the electric water pump and fan i noticed a difference in temp but the real test will be this summer in the real heat I have the pump and fan hooked up to 2 toggel switches so when i shut the car off i can still run the pump and fan with them working together they really cool the 455 down fast I havent had a chance to try it on the track yet I still have some things to do before that happens hey thanks for the info on the springs i will look in to it

Old 04-17-2006, 07:39 AM

Boy,You boys have been busy

Lots and lots of grreat cars

Just took my car out for the first cruising on friday.Nice norwegian spring temperature (45 degrees F... ) Of course we had to take the top down!

Have finally got my norwegian lisence plates,Quite satisfied with the number :
B-for Bonneville
6532-for 65`with 3x2`s OR my birthday (March,2nd,1965 )

Keep èm coming !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Påskecruising,Østfold 14.04.2006 004.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	50279  

Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Different rocker moldings in the same year?

I have noticed on '65 Bonnevilles that there seem to be different rocker moldings. 65Bonne appears to have smooth chrome/diecast on his monster 4door but others have the finned diecast like '66. Then it seems like I have seen the narrow on them like on Cats too? What is up with that? Will the '66 finned fit on there? Did these styles change during the model year?

I think the guy ordering that '65 4 door had an attitude. "If we have to get a 4door honey I'm gonna get it like this..." "Yes dear".

And cheers to 40. I just turned the same & am fully enjoying my 'Powered By Pontiac Midlife Crisis'.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon

Last edited by Deadhead; 04-17-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepocket
While I'm posting pics, I thought y'all would be interested/disgusted by these pics. My wife and I were travelling Northern California last week and stopped by a solar and biofuel energy exhibit. This was their graveyard, where they were showing '60s cars going to "good use". They also had a Buick 'vert, a '60 or so Chevy Impala, and a Caddy or two. While I'm all for researching future methods of powering our transportation, I was not too excited about seeing a Pontiac meet this ending. No good parts on it to speak of, in case you're wondering.

To add to the insult, I ended up with a tick on me from walking through their trees to take these pics. The little bugger started drilling into my arm while I tried to negotiate busy Hwy 101 traffic in SFO, in the rain. It was quite a trick pulling him out slowly without getting myself killed.
where is this place? im in northern cal (bay area,..about 45 minutes east of san fran.)