THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacstogo View Post
Yeah - NZ is tough as well. Not all personal shipments get the full cleaning treatment on arrival, but from what we can gather most do. We are shipping a 40FT container because we have some of our house hold goods and personal effects going as well. That includes some outdoor furniture so we have budgeted for the full cleaning treatment at the other end.

I don't think NZ is as strict on asbestos - but anything's possible. I know we are going to have some hurdles with getting the T/A certified in NZ as they are very strict on rust and prior repair work. We may even end up having to strip the car to get the prior work inspected. Basically we are hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst - even a full restore if needed.

I've owned the TA 20+ years - I couldn't bring myself to sell it.
Who would move to a place like this? Sounds like the Gestapo God forbid the car had body work done OH NO -

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 01-22-2022, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Who would move to a place like this?
Me

It's not that repairs are not allowed - it's just that they need to be of good quality. NZ went through a period of time where cars were being imported that were cut and spliced or just poorly repaired. These were ending up on NZ roads and then disentegrating in accidents.

We knew what we would be facing so none of this is a suprise.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:28 PM
Senior Chief

Interesting Thread!! We are headed over there in June(hopefully), my son & daughter in law live in Palmerston North. We will be there 3 weeks

Old 01-31-2022, 02:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan66 View Post
Interesting Thread!! We are headed over there in June(hopefully), my son & daughter in law live in Palmerston North. We will be there 3 weeks
I would like to think things have opened up by June - but who knows.

The repair certifier has looked at the car and the quarters have to come off and be replaced. I have been working with a restoration shop that can do the work - we are just in the process of sourcing quarters and determining what panels we are going to use for the rework.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I would like to think things have opened up by June - but who knows.

The repair certifier has looked at the car and the quarters have to come off and be replaced. I have been working with a restoration shop that can do the work - we are just in the process of sourcing quarters and determining what panels we are going to use for the rework.
They have actual ROT? This seems like a stretch...??

Old 01-31-2022, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
They have actual ROT? This seems like a stretch...??
No rot that would warrant full quarters.

The welds need to meet a certain standard and they don't try to ascertain that with the welds that are already in place. The repair certifier requires the quarters to be removed, the body alignment checked, then the quarters replaced with the closest 'full' NOS or new repro quarters along with new outer wheel houses and trunk dropoffs. All of that work needs to be done by a certified repairer/welder (I can't do it myself). Then the repair certifier inspects and signs off on the bodywork prior to paint/sealing and then again after that.

And the panels needs to be shipped from the US of course.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:50 PM

Welcome to New Zealand !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This seems like an employment drive. Factory spot welds were increased in power for the 1973 model year for safety. ( this is why 72 strike cars and shells could Not be used)
Why can't your quarters get additional spot weld or even put that panel back on?
This is beyond being scared of junkers on the road. They see an old car and see this>>> $$$$$$$$
I see 15k or more of work, in your location, and maybe not match paint. Too bad you can't enjoy it.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I see 15k or more of work, in your location, and maybe not match paint.
If you're thinking 15K USD then that's pretty close! I'm paying the price now for a less than stellar job on the first repairs, but it is what it is.

Like I've said throughout this thread - there's no surprises here.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Finally sourced all of the panels and they are in LA waiting to go onto a container - will likely be 3 or 4 months before they arrive here.

Got full quarters, trunk extensions, outer wheel houses, rear seat floorpan, door skins and rear torque boxes and spring perches. Hopefully that's the bodywork covered.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The torque boxes dont fit that well. Have to beat them into submission. Also the rear seat belt "nut" welded on the new Torque Box is ROUND. Your car may still have the rectangular "nuts" These can be swapped over.
Good luck!

Old 03-15-2022, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
The torque boxes dont fit that well. Have to beat them into submission. Also the rear seat belt "nut" welded on the new Torque Box is ROUND. Your car may still have the rectangular "nuts" These can be swapped over.
Good luck!
Thanks - hoping I don't need them but there are a couple of small holes in the rear floorpan. I wanted to have them 'on hand' just in case. My concern is that the body shop gets into that area and then decides they need them - and then we are waiting for parts to ship.

With the body panels being 3 to 4 months away, I'm going to use that time to tackle anything else that might cause problems with the certification process. I had a local shop here put the car up on a lift and go over everything in the suspension. Ive ordered a center link and idler arm as there was some play in both. Also ordered all of the bushings and insulators for the rear end. Those parts are all shipping air and should be here in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Me

It's not that repairs are not allowed - it's just that they need to be of good quality. NZ went through a period of time where cars were being imported that were cut and spliced or just poorly repaired. These were ending up on NZ roads and then disentegrating in accidents.

We knew what we would be facing so none of this is a suprise.
Leave it to government to go from one extreme to the other without adding much common sense to the mix.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your rear anti sway bar shouldn't be so tight that it doesn't move. Lube the bushings too! Good luck!

Old 03-26-2022, 04:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a minor win with the windsheild washers today. Requirements here say that if the car is fitted with them, they must work - and I've not used them once while I've owned the car. After some contact cleaner and a new o-ring kit they sprung into life and work perfectly. First time they've had washer fluid through them in at least 20 years.

All of the other parts I ordered arrived safe and sound from the US via Fedex. Shipping costs weren't too bad and it's nice to know that I can order parts from RockAuto and get them here relatively quickly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pontiacstogo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yay - all of the body panels are on their way. Scheduled arrival date is MUCH sooner than I expected - everything is supposed to arrive on 4/28!

I've got a hell of a lot to do prior to the body panels arriving. Plus I need to get together with the shop that's doing the panel work find out what they want me to remove (or leave) on the car prior to them starting the work.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So much for 4/28!

The container has FINALLY been loaded onto a ship bound for NZ. Short of it sinking, it should be here on 6/13. I hope to have the panels picked up and the TA underway at the bodyshop by the end of June.

While I've been waiting for the body panels, I've got the windsheild washer working and replaced subframe mounts, leaf spring bushes, transmission mount and sway bar bushings. I've got engine mounts and control arm bushings to go.

Last step will be to remove the interior (everything except the dash and kickpanels).

It's a process!

Last edited by pontiacstogo; 05-30-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What a cluster!

I have to ask, are you wearing a mask during all of this?

Old 07-04-2022, 12:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dropped all of the sheetmetal off at the body shop today. Weird that one door skin was boxed and one wasn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacstogo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For anyone still following along..

Stripped the interior so that the car can be shipped to the bodyshop next week. I offerred to remove some of the exterior stuff too but the guy doing the work asked me to leave everything on so that they can check it all for fitment once the panels are replaced.

Last edited by pontiacstogo; 07-14-2022 at 11:56 PM.