Old 05-17-2021, 05:06 PM

Default Sad Tri-Power picture

I bought this from Mike Wasson as part of a complete '66 Tri-Power kit. Apparently FedEX dropped it on the way to me. Mike and FedEx have made good on the deal and I have another manifold coming from Frank's. Anyone have any creative ideas on what to do with this formerly beautiful piece of iron other than throwing it in the scrap heap?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	566789  

Old 05-17-2021, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet.
UPS broke a '67 Q Jet intake recently that the guy really wanted. Date code was perfect for his car

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 05-17-2021, 06:08 PM

Proper packaging would have saved that intake.

I’ve shipped numerous iron intakes and never have any arrived damaged in any way.

Shippers drop packages, it up to the sender to prepare the package for the rough handling it is very likely to receive in transit.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd get it rough welded on the underside, pretty the face up with JB Weld, and hang it as wall art.
A tree eighty nine as a coffee table would also be sweet...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	890
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	566790  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Proper packaging would have saved that intake.

I’ve shipped numerous iron intakes and never have any arrived damaged in any way.

Shippers drop packages, it up to the sender to prepare the package for the rough handling it is very likely to receive in transit.
Agree with b-man.

That should have never happened, the packer of that intake should be scolded.

Years ago I purchased a single 65-66 Aluminum front brake drum and it showed up in a Budweiser 12 pack wrapped around it with duck tape.

No damage, but I was pissed at this guy.

Some people are clueless.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:04 AM
Senior Chief

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Agree with b-man.

That should have never happened, the packer of that intake should be scolded.

Years ago I purchased a single 65-66 Aluminum front brake drum and it showed up in a Budweiser 12 pack wrapped around it with duck tape.

No damage, but I was pissed at this guy.

Some people are clueless.
That's what drinking Budweiser will do to ya

The Following User Says Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Packaging only goes so far.

Shipped a tripower a few months ago. We use a lot of wood (1 inch plywood bottom, 2x4 artificial cylinder heads affixed to the plywood bottom, etc.). The tripower is firmly supported.

The forklift point went through the package and luckily centered on the waterneck, shattering the waterneck. Fortunately, no other damage. Didn't even bend the bolts.

First time in 49 years we had a multiple carb setup damaged in shipment (and we have sent more than one to Europe), but this one was damaged.

One simply cannot package for "I don't care" attitude!

And just for the record, got a 1966 Corvair turbo carb back, still in the box we used, which was now approximately 1 1/2 inches tall; and yes, the truck backed over the package! Accidents sometimes happen. Fortunately, I had more than one of the carburetors.

And I love that coffee table!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say that was dropped from pretty high up; like mebby off of a conveyer belt coming out of a 747 or something?

Old 05-18-2021, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys made me look this up, I thought it was Fed Ex, but it was Purolator;
In light of this discussion, can anyone explain to me why Purolator doesn't allow you to insure packages?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:54 AM
Senior Chief

Default drop test

Have you ever seen what the packages are supposed to survive?

https://www.intouch-quality.com/blog...rton-drop-test

Billk

Old 05-19-2021, 05:27 PM
Senior Chief

At the very least trim up the water crossover, it’s worth something.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not always the fault of the person that packs it. I've seen FedEx thro packages they deliver, and the same with UPS when they pick them up.

Years ago I packed a window frame mirror I had added stained glass to in a wood box built with heavy duty foam padding inside so it didn't touch any wood, 2x4 frame, covered with 3/4" plywood all around built as a 3'x3' square. It was checked [I had to open it up] and was told it would be alright to ship as it was well packed. I even had "Fragile: Glass" in very bold print on both sides, plus a handle to carry it. The guy that said it was ok watched the UPS jerk actually throw in in the truck. I even had insurance on it for 250.00, which was confirmed that it should be around the correct value and completely covered. When called about it I went straight to the shipper and they denied paying for the damage. I even called UPS and made one hell of a complaint. All for naught. I was super . Word spread on what happened and the shipper lost some customers. Everyone even made sure they checked packages for damage before the UP{S guys left their premises, They weren't happy, but what goes around comes around to bite ya in the backside.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I sent two complete Tri-Powers this week--one to Texas and one to California. The California one is on an aluminum intake, which makes for a package less than 50 lb. The Texas one is a cast iron '66 setup, which weighs 70 lb. I've been shipping these disassembled in two boxes, which sometimes actually costs less than one 70 lb. box.

FedEx will gladly mark your packages fragile. I don't know if that helps, but it has worked well for me for the dozens of Tri-Powers I've shipped.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan