Old 10-05-2021, 10:26 AM

Question Dashcam install advice 65 GTO?

I'd like to install a dashcam setup (front and rear) and hardwire it, so I'll have footage while driving plus also while at shows in case it gets bumped/etc.

Before trying to remove my very clean and nicely-installed headliner, rearview mirror, visors, etc has anybody done this on a 64-67 GTO?

Compared to modern cars there doesn't appear to be much room to sneak wiring around and definitely not sure about running down the A-pillar to get to the fusebox for power. It also requires a small wire to run front to back from the main camera system to the rear camera.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, tricks, etc!

Old 10-06-2021, 02:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm glad I read this post as this is something I've been thinking about lately. Fortunately the car it would be going in has its entire interior ripped out now so I can wire it however I need.

What gauge is the power wire? Perhaps run it down the rear pillars? - would use extra wire but would make things potentially easier.

What model of dashcam are you using?

Old 10-06-2021, 01:09 PM

The power wire is pretty thick, about the same as a laptop wire and has the stupid big rubber plug around it partway away from where it plugs into the camera. Its a Viofo A139 with front and rear camera units. the wire running from front camera to rear is really pretty thin, but the hardwire kit is the wiring I'm most worried about.

I hadn't thought about running the power all the way to the back then sneaking back to the front; that may be what it would take although I'd likely end up having to pull out the entire headliner to make it happen neatly, NOT something I'd be looking forward to.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to go through the trouble of hiding power cords under the headliner, etc. As with most forms of technology, these things become obsolete, break, and so on. Plus, I'm never comfortable leaving any electronic device in open view when my cars are unattended, even if that device is a camera which in theory records someone.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-06-2021, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not just run the cables under the carpet and mount the cameras dashtop/ on package tray?

Old 10-11-2021, 09:47 AM

Thumbs up

That is a good idea, I was thinking about keeping them more hidden up high with possibly a better view, but they still may be unobtrusive enough that way.

I’ll check the views from the cameras just mocking up by hand and let you know. Agreed, just going under carpet/into dash would likely be a ton easier, maybe I can sneak a wire in through the dash speaker grate.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:27 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up camera

you can get wireless plus see it on your phone real cheap too !

Old 10-11-2021, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dome light wire is done up top, fused, full time hot and plenty big enuff.

Clay

The Following User Says Thank You to "QUICK-SILVER" For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtopont View Post
you can get wireless plus see it on your phone real cheap too !
The wireless ones I saw don’t do the parking mode record, to insure it captures anything while you are away. If you found one like that let me know, thanks! All the ones that record parked require hardwire.

Dome light wire idea, I like that!

Old 01-23-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Why not just run the cables under the carpet and mount the cameras dashtop/ on package tray?
I ran a test yesterday since I’m doing wiring for power antenna and rear speaker, and with the rear camera sitting on the package tray you just can’t see enough; about half of the view is the package tray. The rear cam is nice and compact,, so I’m going to mount it at the rear windshield windlace at the top; I’ve snaked the wire down behind the passenger sail panel to meet up with the power antenna wiring, so will solve all of those together.

For the front I can sit the unit just in front of my dash pad, pushed up directly behind the dash vent; I should be able to route the rear camera wire and the power wire to it under the dash pad to keep it clean, and I can then remove the front unit when/if I want to. That provides a good wide view and you just see part of the driver wiper arm in the view. I don’t want to start tearing into the headliner/etc.