Old 10-22-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Headliner Adhesive

I'm thinking I might want to use a brush on adhesive for my headliner ... any suggestions? Does 3M make their headliner adhesive in liquid form?

Seems like it would be easier brushing on the glue than trying to spray it up in that tack channel.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:40 PM

I used this stuff on an early Mustang headliner. It worked great.

SCIGRIP Weld-On #1829

https://theengineerguy.com/weld-on-1829/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinindian68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I used the Permatex weatherstrip adhesive for my headliner, I squeezed it onto a plumber's flux brush (the short ones for applying flux to solder pipes) and then brushed it on the tack strips.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Use DAP Weldwood contact cement. I used it for convertible top and other interior uses and it sticks. Brush is part of the top cap. Get it at Ace Hardware as well as others.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My original headliner did not seem to be glued in. (1971 GTO).
I bought the headliner and adhesive.
I just pushed the headliner in the slot with a ;putty knife and it stayed put.
No adhesive at all on my headliner.
I'd thought there were little grippers/spikes in the slot that held it?
I'm probably wrong about that but mine stayed up there without glue i guess it's been 5 years now.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:17 PM
Senior Chief

DAP Weldwood is the best I’ve used.

That Weld-On #1829 posted above looks interesting though.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any of you guys used the DAP vinyl top adhesive for both headliner and vinyl top? It appears to only be sold by the gallon, if I buy that much it would be nice to use it for both jobs.

F Rock .... wondered about that myself ... almost looks like if it's stretched out good, clipped all around and left for a few days, then pressed nicely onto the barbs, with the cinch molding quickly put on, jeez it might stay in place for a long time.

Mine was definitely glued from the factory, cause I spent a bunch of time cleaning it off the tack strips. I agree, if the tack strips were more aggressive like household carpet tack strips it probably wouldn't need glue at all

Old 10-25-2021, 04:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Any of you guys used the DAP vinyl top adhesive for both headliner and vinyl top? It appears to only be sold by the gallon, if I buy that much it would be nice to use it for both jobs.

F Rock .... wondered about that myself ... almost looks like if it's stretched out good, clipped all around and left for a few days, then pressed nicely onto the barbs, with the cinch molding quickly put on, jeez it might stay in place for a long time.

Mine was definitely glued from the factory, cause I spent a bunch of time cleaning it off the tack strips. I agree, if the tack strips were more aggressive like household carpet tack strips it probably wouldn't need glue at all

I just used a qt of the std DAP contact cement from the hardware store after reading the suggestion online but this was 10+ years ago. Worked good and still holding up in a car that gets used a decent amount in summer and sees some weather.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdk1976 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 04:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just use the DAP vinyl top adhesive to glue some Thermozite to the roof before the headline goes on, works nicely.

I think someone mentioned not to use a plastic container for the DAP .... almost had a "Ask me how I know" moment ... went to throw away the little yogurt container I was brushing out of just as the bottom fell out of it, luckily right over the trash can

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post: