Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing you could do at this point is crank the engine and see if it starts and runs WITH the fuel pump jumpered and running. This would help isolate the problem to the fuel pump circuit or the PCM and it's ability to run the injectors. There is no easy way to check individual injectors on the central injection system that truck has. I don't know off hand what security system that truck may use. Chevrolet used a variety of different systems. Does your ignition key have a little black resistor pellet in the key?

Old 12-02-2021, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The key is just a plain one. I have tried starting the truck with the fuel pump jumped with no success. However, if I spray a littler starter fluid in the air intake the motor will start and run briefly until the starter fluid runs out. I don't think my problem is the security system because there is no security warning light on the dash. Though the dash was melted in the fire most of the lights work as does the tach.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, that is helpful. So that tells us a few things. 1. The PCM is not capable of keeping the fuel pump on during crank. 2. With you jumping the fuel pump relay, the engine will not run. 3. With starter fluid, the engine will run on it for a few seconds. 4. The entire ignition system is functioning, primary and secondary. 5. The engine is mechanically capable of running. So knowing all these things, this leaves us with the PCM is incapable of firing the injectors or the injection unit itself is dead or the wiring between these two units is defective. Unfortunately, without verifying dozens of circuits with a Fluke meter between the PCM and power and ground and the injector, the only three choices you really have now is to "shotgun" the repair. 1.You could replace the PCM with a known good unit, (easiest) 2. You could replace the injection unit, (more expensive and a little more difficult. 3. You can run through the PCM wiring harness with a full schematic and verify all the related circuits to the injector unit are working. (least expensive if doing yourself but could take many hours of troubleshooting) My experience tells me if you are replacing wiring damage from a fire, the most likely issue is in the wiring and/or wiring harness unfortunately. I wish I had better news for you. If you decide to begin tracing the wiring, PM me and I can e-mail you better PCM wiring schematics and individual circuit diagrams. You start with the power and grounds, and then proceed to everything related to making the injectors work. It can be a long and tedious process. Hope you get it figured out.

Last edited by mgarblik; 12-03-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hoping you got your little truck up and running. Any update? Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still no luck. To be honest I have put this thing on the back burner for now. Other, more important things to do plus the weather has not been the best. It is supposed to be in the upper 70s-low 80s for the next week but my wife is off from work until the 1st so I won't get anything done. I do appreciate all your help and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!