Old 12-12-2021, 01:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1972 SJ GP vinyl top

Question about vinyl top material/pattern for 72. I have a low mileage car that appears very original with one repaint. Vinyl top is supposed to be Pewter. The top on the car does match the color of the Pewter interior. However the pattern is similar to the SSJ vinyl tops. Were there options for a different vinyl top pattern other than the "pebble" pattern? Also does anyone make a correct vinyl top replacement in Pewter?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	579496  

Old 12-12-2021, 08:41 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Mark, it's my understanding that the pebble grain, from a supplier like SMS, is the correct top for the GPs.

That SSJ-type grain top looks great (you could say I'm a bit biased), but it's not the original material type, if that's what you're seeking.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Harvey. I kind of figured that top had been replaced. It has a felt backing I can feel. I once owned two original vinyl top cars and there was no "cushion" or felt backing on them.

The only colors offered by Ames are black and white. The last time I contacted SMS they wanted $800 to recover the upper rear seat cushion on my Tempest. I decided that it was not bad enough yet to spend that much on it. Also they needed about 8 to 10 weeks and that was before the pandemic.

As much as I would like to keep the car all correct the white vinyl top would make a nice contrast to the Revere Silver exterior and Pewter interior. I have seen two 72 GPs with the exact same color and trim combination. Must have been a popular combination.

Guess I will give SMS a call and see how much they want for the material.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Senior Chief

Mark,

My brother found some correct-grain dark green material for his 71 4-speed car here on PY. Not sure of the manufacturer, but it looks spot on.

I'd contact a guy named "Magic Mike" here in Tampa. He's been doing tops and interiors for decades and he's the one who installed my brother's top several years ago. Very knowledgeable.

He likely has access to the correct material and color.

I don't recall if I recommended him to you before, but here's how to reach him:

https://www.yellowpages.com/tampa-fl...tery-454042211

Harvey

Old 12-13-2021, 01:46 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks! I will contact him. I am also looking for the plastic baffle between bottom of bumper and core support #9790582.

Here is a video of the car. I plan on replacing top and removing stone guard previous owner applied. Car was originally from Canada and then spent time in Texas. I believe Texas owner applied stone guard when it was repainted. I dug out rocks and dirt from inside front frame rails! Must have travelled down dirt roads.

Mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbRpBSIBguM

Old 12-13-2021, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

Mark,

That air dam/filler panel is one of the holy grails for us GP owners. Not reproduced, finding NOS ones are difficult, and when you do, they're brittle with age.

My NOS one I installed on the 71 SSJ cracked within weeks of installation, even with finger-tight bolts to not stress the old plastic.

That's one heckuva nice SJ!

Harvey

Old 12-13-2021, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks! It is still no SSJ but drives nice.

Wonder if that filler panel would be the same on a Monte Carlo?

Old 12-14-2021, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

Mark,

Zero chance of a fit from a Monte Carlo.

The air dam panel mirrors the sharp 'beak' of the bottom of the bumper and the space over to the rad support, and it also accommodates the hood release pull rod.

Entirely different geometry.

I've pondered getting this NOS panel (despite crack) 3D scanned at a company here in Tampa, but that's going to cost $1100. Then considering its overall length, having someone 3D print it will require it to be done in 3 sections with some sort of 'joining' of the sections.

Another option would be to have a mold maker make a form for plastic injection, but those costs are exorbitant...

Not many appealing options, but somebody did make a generic metal on years ago that fit well and didn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Harvey