Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 12-20-2021, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Leather/vinyl glue

I have a Toyota convertible and the driver's seat is getting pretty worn from getting in and out. I tried to fix it with one of those leather repair kits and it looked good for a few years.

I inquired about having the panel replaced but was told the tread is special because the air bags are in the side of the seat. Evidently it's really hard to get around here.

I have an old leather chair just about the same color and contemplating cutting a piece from the back of the chair and glue it over the worn section, leaving the stitching exposed.

Anyone have a suggestion for a glue that will hold up? I know it won't be pretty but don't want the problem to get worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211220_100941512.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	580149  

Old 12-20-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used DAP Weldwood adhesive on many vinyl materials with good results. I got it at ACE Hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 07:38 PM

Some people use MastaPlasta Self-Adhesive Leather Repair, which is just a leather sticker really. They come in different colors, probably not an exact match but close enough for some people.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The weldwood contact cement mentioned would do a good job. Its still going to look like a patch. I was looking to buy a used truck and one I saw had the driver seat patched in with some kind of crappy looking material. Looked like some type of spray in the can repair material. Did not hold up as it was already cracking out.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gluing any extra layer over the top may affect operation of the airbag in the event of a collision. Any possibility of finding another seat in a salvage yard you could harvest the cover from?