The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What is best way to assemble endura + rear bumper 70 GTO

Hello,

I am thinking ahead to the installation of the front end as well as rear bumper after I complete the cut & buff on the remaining panels.

I am looking for advice on what could/should be pre-assembled to the endura bumper and rear bumper prior to installation, in case it makes things easier for me.

Example:

Front endura, is it advisable or helpful to preinstall the grilles and headlights panels, lamp buckets, headlights, headlight bezels etc. onto the endura first, or better to install the endura bare and add all of these items later?

For the rear bumper, should anything be preinstalled on the bumper first or is this better done after installation?

Thanks

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 12-26-2021, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my 72, It made most sense to tape around rear paint area and install bumper first. I found I needed the tail light cavities to aid in bumper bolt assembly. The front endura I also installed bare. But, since my headlight assemblies are separate (which I installed first), I'll let others lead on that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2022, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Remember to wrap towels around the ends of the rear bumper- I used painters tape to wrap the towels and keep them on the bumper . Really makes it easier when you aren’t as worried about scratching the paint.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

I spent most of the Christmas holiday fitting my Endura. It was badly bent & I had to beat it back into shape (no easy task). Here's my thoughts based on that...

I would not assemble the Endura completely for a couple reasons. It's already heavy as hell, and any weight you can keep off of it makes it easier to manage. As well, with the grilles out you can reach thru the openings to bolt everything together.

My car is still in the final prep stage so I wasn't too worried about scratching paint. On a painted car I would defiantly want a helper. I bolted the frame brackets & upper reinforcement to the car but only finger tight. Then I hoisted the endura up & onto the brackets, also finger tight. Used blocks & floor jack to get it in final place & snugged it down. With a helper you could do it without the blocks & save the paint.

The Following User Says Thank You to jarretts70 For This Useful Post: