The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default Anyone use OER trans am fenders for a 74-81?

I've got a lot of work in a fender already (marker delete, flare, and cut to gap with the hood perfectly), but I'm not satisfied with some of the rust pits that are in it. I've patched where needed, but the surface rust just bugs me. I wonder if I'll potentially mis anything coming through from between the skin and the inner structure. Has anyone used the OER reproduction fenders? How do they fit? Here's specifically what I'm looking at.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/f004690.html

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Old 12-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

Also, anyone remember if classic industries has new year's sales and if they're historically better than the Christmas sales?

Old 12-26-2021, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default repop

I am using reproduction (their actually 70-81) and I could not be happier with the fit/quality. got them thru AMD, I have no idea if they are common to one manufacturer.

my entire front clip is reproduction and the fit is excellent. and I am well aware and have experienced bad repop pieces.

(see multiple pics in my floor/torque box/frame rail thread in this section)

the only difference is for the 70-73 owners. for these u simply weld the front brackets from your old fenders to the new. and cosmetically there a bend area up top common to the 74-81, and even that you can cut and weld flat if it bugs anyone. (not me) lol

Iv'e bought parts from all available vendors thru the years but mostly classic industries. its hard to beat the sales etc they always seem to have.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:14 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
I am using reproduction (their actually 70-81) and I could not be happier with the fit/quality. got them thru AMD, I have no idea if they are common to one manufacturer.

my entire front clip is reproduction and the fit is excellent. and I am well aware and have experienced bad repop pieces.

the only difference is for the 70-73 owners. for these u simply weld the front brackets from your old fenders to the new. and cosmetically there a bend area up top common to the 74-81, and even that you can cut and weld flat if it bugs anyone. (not me) lol

Iv'e bought parts from all available vendors thru the years but mostly classic industries. its hard to beat the sales etc they always seem to have.
Thanks for the reply. Why can't I find those on auto metal direct's website? Yeah, I know everybody says all these are made in the same factory in Taiwan. I'm not here to get into that either. I know AMD has good stuff. I got a hood from them, quarter panels, and more. It's all great. It's all thicker and heavier than factory. What are you talking about with the difference on the top edge? If you have a link to this set of fenders you got it would be great. I'm interested if you can find them from AMD.

Anyone else? Any experience with the OER front fenders?

Old 12-27-2021, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post

Just got off the phone with AMD. Indeed, they used to offer these through their x parts line. They no longer do. OER license parts are probably the next best bet.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Schroeder;6305868]Thanks for the reply. Why can't I find those on auto metal direct's website? Yeah, I know everybody says all these are made in the same factory in Taiwan. I'm not here to get into that either. I know AMD has good stuff. I got a hood from them, quarter panels, and more. It's all great. It's all thicker and heavier than factory. What are you talking about with the difference on the top edge? If you have a link to this set of fenders you got it would be great. I'm interested if you can find them from AMD.

Check around. I thought i'm sure it was amd but may have been another source. and that was 5 years ago. I disagree thicker and heavier than factory though. original stuff is always better than repop. check goodmark to. there my main source for sheetmetal usually. at the structural area at the top of the fender (only seen when the hood is open) the 74 and up have a bend area that the 70-73 original fenders dont have. does not matter at all unless you gotta have that original look. it makes it super easy to spot non original fenders on a 70-73. outside is same 70-81 thank goodness. personally I would get the repops from whoever has em. bet there all from same manufacturer. and I have received average and excellent stuff from all of em.