Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-26-2022, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
Scott, where is Chief not now? That little EheadedPontiac did really well in America’s list and is holding its own so far in the regular show that they have just started showing with one loss being attributed to a slight jump by Chief yet the other guy could have jumped and Chief would have driven around him. So on the show he spun his first loss and he jumped his second loss...neither shows a lack of HP to win...
Honestly, I don't watch the show.. I just know he has been absent for awhile from things ive read..if he's back, good.. like to see how he fairs when they run on a track.. it's no prep but that track will hold a lot more power than the street..

Old 01-26-2022, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The nitro talk came from Chief's mouth, I didn't make it up.

What is so different about using a turbo as a compressor, over a blower?

As far as nitro and the Boss Bird. Jerry, the tuner of the Boss Bird, made decisions on how the combo was tuned, and what percentages they ran. Over the years Jerry has proven to be a wealth of information about nitro. I've spent a fair amount of time talking with him over the years about nitro. It's because I really didn't know anything first hand about it, and I was curious about it.

He preached to go in baby steps to keep carnage to a minimum in the engines.

I also happened to be standing next to Barcak's dragster when they failed to get all the fuel out of it before firing it up. The block exploded on #7 cylinder, and sent shrapnel into the trailer. Lots of potential for engine carnage when you don't follow the protocol to the letter.

From what Jerry had told me 25% is just tickling the fuel, as opposed to high percentages such as Eric and Mike were running.

Jerry did tell me that at percentages as low as 25% the fuel is still pretty tame, not anything near what 90% can do as far as destruction.

Not my opinion, just a fact:
I know Chief said it on TV, he also talked about using the lockup on the street...I have seen what locking up 2500-3000HP on the track looks like, and I just do not see that happening on the street...

As for the nitro...Its not about the percentage that he is talking about, it is the fact that all of the unburned fuel does not get blown out through the header tubes on a turbo car, it ends up in the exhaust housing...Now, maybe they have it figured out now, but about 15 years ago, some very very fast turbo guys couldnt get it to work...

Now I know that I could be 100% wrong on this...BUT, in my opinion...If ANYONE was truly successfully using nitromethane in their car on any of these shows, they damn sure wouldnt blast it out to everyone...If nitro suddenly was cool to use, the blower guys would be untouchable.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
I know Chief said it on TV, he also talked about using the lockup on the street...I have seen what locking up 2500-3000HP on the track looks like, and I just do not see that happening on the street...

As for the nitro...Its not about the percentage that he is talking about, it is the fact that all of the unburned fuel does not get blown out through the header tubes on a turbo car, it ends up in the exhaust housing...Now, maybe they have it figured out now, but about 15 years ago, some very very fast turbo guys couldnt get it to work...

Now I know that I could be 100% wrong on this...BUT, in my opinion...If ANYONE was truly successfully using nitromethane in their car on any of these shows, they damn sure wouldnt blast it out to everyone...If nitro suddenly was cool to use, the blower guys would be untouchable.
There are other forms of highly oxygenated fuels that can be added to race fuel for some serious gains.. also, untraceable on a fuel test... it's been done..; )

Old 01-26-2022, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
DOHC T/F. Late 80’s early 90’s.
Very successful effort from the McGee brothers. A young Gary Beck & Dale Armstrong with their dragster. I don’t remember if they just stopped using it or NHRA banned it.
That's really cool. When we were match racing there was a front engine dragster with a 427 SOHC Ford that would show up at various events. It was a real crowd pleaser and got allot of attention. They were able to run with their group ET and speed wise, but it was a bear to work on and get serviced between rounds. More than once it came apart in rather spectacular fashion. But the owner had a barn full of parts for it and they were back on the track in a few weeks. In a sea of hemi's, it was cool to see something really different like this.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Because of fuel burning in the exhaust on 90%, our EGT's were flirting with 2000 degrees. I'm not sure that a turbo would survive that. Also because of the continued burn in the exhaust, I'd worry about the back pressure of the turbo causing the exhaust to have a kaboom. Just speculation on my part......

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 01-26-2022, 09:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Because of fuel burning in the exhaust on 90%, our EGT's were flirting with 2000 degrees. I'm not sure that a turbo would survive that. Also because of the continued burn in the exhaust, I'd worry about the back pressure of the turbo causing the exhaust to have a kaboom. Just speculation on my part......

Eric
The "Kabooms" have always been the problem when its been tried in the past...Chief is a pretty smart feller, but I knew of a few highly funded teams that had no luck with it...

Old 01-26-2022, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The "Kabooms" have always been the problem when its been tried in the past...Chief is a pretty smart feller, but I knew of a few highly funded teams that had no luck with it...
That's 90% fuel... there is no reason one can't run 15% or so. That little bit will give u some noticable gain. That's not gonna smoke a turbo..
You're thinking all or nothing terms...

Old 01-26-2022, 11:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
That's 90% fuel... there is no reason one can't run 15% or so. That little bit will give u some noticable gain. That's not gonna smoke a turbo..
You're thinking all or nothing terms...
But, werent we talking about Chief using 40%???????? It sure sounded cool when he said it on a TV show...

Edit: Also, the guys that were trying it in the past, are smart enough to know how to TEST things...Its not like they threw 90% in the tank and turned it loose...

Old 01-27-2022, 12:07 AM

Chief and Jackie have been running a series of videos on U tube about the goin ons at Mid West Street Cars. What Cheif had been focusing on with the Crow is mid plate depth and aero. He been working with some cat in Austrailia and they came up with the air foil. He has been having a prob at about 400 feet hazing the tires as most do on a street. This is supposed to be the fix. He said if it stays planted he ll keep addin the nitro , Awesome. My assumption is he has plenty of power, he just can t keep it stuck at the big end. If I had 3500 hp I would like to carry that thru the trap too. Near 0% drive train loss and full contact ain t a bad thing to chase. Last I knew he was runnin the lockup. These dudes got balls man. Oh and guess they are filming the Americas list right now and the rumor is he and Jackie walked off on the first filming.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:02 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
.If nitro suddenly was cool to use, the blower guys would be untouchable.
Yes, but I don't see how its maintainable at that level. The between rounds effort for them is already substantial. There should be a mandatory rule where you drive (plates, insurance, wipers, e-brake required) 20 miles to the race spot and go. At this point, they're just recreating the race track without the spectators onsite nor NHRA involvement.

They're basically a Pro-Mod combo now, if they transition to a top fuel engine, that's the logical last step I would assume - Using the ELarson idea of taking every idea thru its logical paces to its very end.

I take their racing as entertainment and that's what it's intended to be.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 01-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoat65 View Post
Chief and Jackie have been running a series of videos on U tube about the goin ons at Mid West Street Cars. What Cheif had been focusing on with the Crow is mid plate depth and aero. He been working with some cat in Austrailia and they came up with the air foil. He has been having a prob at about 400 feet hazing the tires as most do on a street. This is supposed to be the fix. He said if it stays planted he ll keep addin the nitro , Awesome. My assumption is he has plenty of power, he just can t keep it stuck at the big end. If I had 3500 hp I would like to carry that thru the trap too. Near 0% drive train loss and full contact ain t a bad thing to chase. Last I knew he was runnin the lockup. These dudes got balls man. Oh and guess they are filming the Americas list right now and the rumor is he and Jackie walked off on the first filming.
So now Chief's car is up to 3500HP?

Old 01-27-2022, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Quote:
So now Chief's car is up to 3500HP?
LOL!

GTO George

Old 01-27-2022, 12:02 PM

Ahhhh give or take....lol. Don t hold me too it. The point is that hes tryin to use all hes got. Plenty for the street not enough for no prep unless they started to allow Nitro and wings..lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluegoat65 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best I have for Tommy is 3.949 / 189.52 MPH @ 2900 lbs

The best I have for Justin is 3.994 / 188.21 MPH @ 2820 lbs

So just how much difference is there in HP from track performance?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-27-2022, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-27-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
The best I have for Tommy is 3.949 / 189.52 MPH @ 2900 lbs

The best I have for Justin is 3.994 / 188.21 MPH @ 2820 lbs

So just how much difference is there in HP from track performance?

Stan
Well Stan I would say ummm, not much....lol. But in all fairness, both at the same track , same day, same tires would prolly be better stat. Since you shirt tailed Chiefs combo Opeliac, look at what you have instore for yourself...lol.

Old 01-27-2022, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoat65 View Post
Well Stan I would say ummm, not much....lol. But in all fairness, both at the same track , same day, same tires would prolly be better stat. Since you shirt tailed Chiefs combo Opeliac, look at what you have instore for yourself...lol.
If mine can make 2600+ and live, i'll be happy with it...Then i'll look at the next steps.

Edit: You guys should be thinking about how much HP it takes to run those numbers...Hint for ya, it aint 3500.

The Following User Says Thank You to opeliac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 03:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
?

GTO George

Old 01-27-2022, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Chief has run his car a million passes, where Tommy had only a handful….. damn good results for so little time on combo!

GTO George

Old 01-27-2022, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Chief has run his car a million passes, where Tommy had only a handful….. damn good results for so little time on combo!

GTO George
If that is the case then why did Tommy pull the Pontiac?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm