THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cannonball 1975 (Super Duty)

Apologies if this has been discussed before.
I was watching a documentary on the Cannonball Run. The footage of the 1975 entrants showed a red '74 SD Trans Am; which finished 12th. A little research came up with this bit of info.

12/Dave Shugars, Ann Arbor, Michigan; Dennis Weglarz, South Lyon, Michigan; Ron McConkey, Milford, Massachusetts; 1974 Pontiac Trans Am; 40 hours, 43 minutes; average speed, 71.3 mph: These are three engineers, on vacation from the emissions laboratory at the proving grounds at what we will enigmatically describe as a Big Three automaker, ran an immaculate Firebird with one of the rare 455 super-duty engines and a tall 2.60 final drive. Unfortunately, a speeding bust, shock absorber troubles and set of radials that were excellent in the rain but limited top speed to 110 mph ruined their chances for a high placing

Anybody know these guys or know more of the story?

Curious,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 01-21-2022, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a picture of it. It was at a Trans Am show in Florida a few years ago.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Was the documentary streaming somewhere?

Old 01-21-2022, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a few shots of the SD Trans Am in this documentary on the Countach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b7erU_DOfE

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 01-21-2022, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
There are a few shots of the SD Trans Am in this documentary on the Countach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b7erU_DOfE
Yup, that's the video that I was watching. SD is visible starting at 21:35

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 01-21-2022, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool find guys, I was talking to the father of one of the guys who set the new record during covid. He was telling me
All about how technical it’s become in recent years.
Cool that there was a SD 455 car in the mix once upon a time.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 01-21-2022, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're still running the Cannonball Run? I thought it was over years ago.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know of Dennis Weglarz (from when I worked at Milford) but did not know about his involvement in this.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-21-2022, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect Ron McConkey is from Milford, Michigan, like the rest of them; not Milford Massachusetts as stated in the article.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-22-2022, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
They're still running the Cannonball Run? I thought it was over years ago.
My kid was reading about it and wanting to do it during covid ( perfect time). Of course we didn’t and this guy I ran into said his son set the record during covid and blew the old one away . That’s all I really know . As far as my kid was telling me it still goes on.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...d-coronavirus/

These guys are pretty high tech about it these days too.

Funny thing is I didn’t even know my kid knew what the cannon ball run was she’d never even seen the movie that I know of guess she just ran across a story about it somewhere or tik tok or something.

Last edited by turbo69bird; 01-22-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

It reminds me of a few years ago when a couple of GM engineers from the Milford Proving Grounds took a stock 2012 Buick Regal GS with a 6-speed manual trans and did the pony express. That car was a production Regal GS with a 260 hp 4-cylinder Turbo and they did very well in their class. They surprised a lot of people with that car.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why bother to bring the car if you can't see it? Put that stuff with the other stuff to one side. I have had people ask me to move a card INSIDE the windshield because of reflection, thats fine. But this 74 YOU are blocked �� out of..

Last edited by Formulabruce; 01-22-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the only picture I had. Space at the show was limited.
There ought to be good pictures somewhere from articles in magazine or other sources.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
The Following User Says Thank You to thepontiacman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 09:41 AM

https://m.imdb.com/video/vi306297881...f_=tt_pr_ov_vi

Old 01-24-2022, 09:44 AM

Very interesting documentary from ice tea I know he loves to race sports cars and such. He makes the documentary very interesting when you listen to his excitement. No I’m a big fan. Somebody recently broke the record in something like 24 hours in a AMG Mercedes disguised as a Honda.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone remember the specs on gearing on this car? I want to say I vaguely remember 2.56 or 2.73 gears non OD of course.....

Old 01-24-2022, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepontiacman View Post
Here's a picture of it. It was at a Trans Am show in Florida a few years ago.

A couple years ago I was in the market for a SD455 4 speed. The owner of this car approached me and offered to sell the car. I declined due to it having extensive sheet metal replacement. IIRC.. The current owner was from the Chicago area and had owned the car since the early 80's.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
It reminds me of a few years ago when a couple of GM engineers from the Milford Proving Grounds took a stock 2012 Buick Regal GS with a 6-speed manual trans and did the pony express. That car was a production Regal GS with a 260 hp 4-cylinder Turbo and they did very well in their class. They surprised a lot of people with that car.
The convergence of the words "Milford Proving Ground" and "Pony Express" just reminded me of something; it doesn't have anything to do with this thread really, but I wanted to capture it while I was thinking of it.

When I was at MPG my office mate was the fleet coordinator for full size truck development.

One of his responsibilities was to administrate the "Pony Express" test program. We had two identical crew cab dually pickups with matching gooseneck trailers. Every week one rig would leave the Desert Proving Ground and at the same time another rig would leave the Milford Proving Grounds. They would meet up mid week in Oklahoma City, where the drivers would switch rigs and return home, thereby completing a full trip for the vehicle and cargo itself.

The motivation was twofold: (a) it gave us a dependable way to expedite material from one facility to the other, and (b) it was an opportunity to durability test the trucks and any additional equipment added.

I suspect they don't do that anymore. My office mate John was the champion of this project (among other real world evaluations) and it probably died when he was put out to pasture in the passenger car group.

K

The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Anyone remember the specs on gearing on this car? I want to say I vaguely remember 2.56 or 2.73 gears non OD of course.....
From the pasted article:

".....with one of the rare 455 super-duty engines and a tall 2.60 final drive."

Eric