Old 01-22-2022, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default Just picked up a 2+2

Today is a good day. I picked up a 1966 2+2 convertible. It has a 356 horse (tripower) 421, 4 speed, 8 lugs, and it might have a posi (I crawled under and saw a tag on the diff cover) . Other than those it has minimal options; manual windows and door locks, manual brakes and manual steering. It also came with a remote mirror.

Paint code is W1. Its got parchment interior and a white top.

The car is taken apart and in primer. Some stuff has been replated (bumpers, console, headlight bezels, etc). Its missing a few pieces such as the quarter extensions. Im sure its missing more stuff too.

I'll post more pics when I drag it out of tje trailer.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scld1354 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice assemby project🙂 steering wheel looks in good shape. Got a trunk light in the box too.

All the stuff wrapped in paper. Has it already been reconditioned?

Old 01-22-2022, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpiston View Post
Nice assemby project steering wheel looks in good shape. Got a trunk light in the box too.

All the stuff wrapped in paper. Has it already been reconditioned?
Stuff wrapped in paper has been rechromed.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Such a deal. Bodywork done, stuff rechromed, just about ready for paint. Hope you got a deal.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on that purchase. 66 2+2 convertible, one of my favorite cars. I owned this one almost 20 years. It did everything well. Have fun with it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	582459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	582460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	582461  

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 11:31 PM
Senior Chief

mgarblic, is that barrier blue?

Old 01-23-2022, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it was barrier blue with a blue interior and black top. Original owner ordered the car with a black interior and waited months for it to arrive. When it came in he rejected the car and the dealer was upset and didn't want to sit on it. So they discounted it several hundred dollars and he took it. I loved that car. It was an HO engine with lots of good options. BTW, PM me if you have any questions about authenticity on parts of your purchase. I am sure you already know the fresh engine is the older blue color not the metallic blue of the 66 engines. Also happened to notice the timing cover is off an older model as well, possibly a 64, as the 66 has the timing plate with 0-+8 on it not just a pointer. Not trying to nit pick, just a couple things I noticed at a glance. What a great project. BTW, the standard rear axle on an HO 4-speed non AC car was a 3.42. Limited slip was optional on all ratios, and many other ratios were available on 66 full size cars. 15 different ones. 2.56:1 to 4.10:1 dealer installed. My car had "special order performance axle ratio" 3.73:1. I liked it, but limited the top speed to around 115 mph. Ran the quarter mile @ 104-105. 13.60's. Surprisingly quick and agile for such a big car. What color was your new car?

Last edited by mgarblik; 01-23-2022 at 11:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being a California black plate car is a good sign, hopefully that means its rust free.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:41 PM
Senior Chief

I believe the original paint color is Platinum Poly. The paint code is W1. There is still some silver paint on the edges of the inside of the doors. (I dont remember what the jams look like.) It looks like the underside of the trunklid has been repainted silver. The top is white.

No rust in the quarters or fenders. No evidence it has ever seen road salt. The frame is solid. The floors looked solid. I believe there is a patch panel (screwed in) on the floor behind the driver's seat. I didn't get a look at the entire trunk floor yet, but it looks good where there is usually rust.

The car is going to stat in the trailer until I can make some room in my garage.

The Following User Says Thank You to scld1354 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scld1354 View Post
I believe the original paint color is Platinum Poly. The paint code is W1. There is still some silver paint on the edges of the inside of the doors. (I dont remember what the jams look like.) It looks like the underside of the trunklid has been repainted silver. The top is white.

No rust in the quarters or fenders. No evidence it has ever seen road salt. The frame is solid. The floors looked solid. I believe there is a patch panel (screwed in) on the floor behind the driver's seat. I didn't get a look at the entire trunk floor yet, but it looks good where there is usually rust.

The car is going to stat in the trailer until I can make some room in my garage.

Congrats on a great find! X2 on Cal Black Plate, cool that it stays with car. Good luck with it!

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 01-23-2022, 06:16 PM
Senior Chief

Engine casting and stamping numbers, etc:

Does anyone recognize the M.M.5.01 or the CE stampings?

Old 01-23-2022, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

I'm assuming the water pump is an aftermarket unit.

And I'd like to point out the bolts sourced from the hardware store.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:00 AM

A really fine combination of exterior, convertible top, and interior trim colors. Wondering if you know the name of the original delivering dealer, and if the license plate frame shown is from that dealer.

Last edited by Back Channel; 01-27-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Yes, it was barrier blue with a blue interior and black top. Original owner ordered the car with a black interior and waited months for it to arrive. When it came in he rejected the car and the dealer was upset and didn't want to sit on it. So they discounted it several hundred dollars and he took it. I loved that car. It was an HO engine with lots of good options. BTW, PM me if you have any questions about authenticity on parts of your purchase. I am sure you already know the fresh engine is the older blue color not the metallic blue of the 66 engines. Also happened to notice the timing cover is off an older model as well, possibly a 64, as the 66 has the timing plate with 0-+8 on it not just a pointer. Not trying to nit pick, just a couple things I noticed at a glance. What a great project. BTW, the standard rear axle on an HO 4-speed non AC car was a 3.42. Limited slip was optional on all ratios, and many other ratios were available on 66 full size cars. 15 different ones. 2.56:1 to 4.10:1 dealer installed. My car had "special order performance axle ratio" 3.73:1. I liked it, but limited the top speed to around 115 mph. Ran the quarter mile @ 104-105. 13.60's. Surprisingly quick and agile for such a big car. What color was your new car?
My Uncle owned a 66 2+2, Barrier Blue, white top, parchment interior auto, conv. Beautiful car. I remember he sold it in 1973 for $600.00. Was in nice condition, but I was 11. My brother and I wanted to buy it. My father thought we were crazy. That car was the car that got me into Pontiacs as an adult.

You have a beautiful car.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:36 PM
Suspended

093 10.75 compression heads. Thats a good sign. I would consider a set of 092s for the lower compression. 9 to 1 with the 068 cam would be better with today's fuel.

The chances are pretty good that those 8 lug drums aren't corroded and will only need a little cleaning up. Make sure you torque the rim to the drum before having it cut and afterword's keep that wheel with the drum in that exact spot and you'll love those 8 lugs.. Diamond Back sells the H-78-14 tires for those wheels. The 67-68 checkered 8 lug wheels are the best.

That is one beautiful car. Cruising those moon lit summer nights with the top down, reverb on.