THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Scannable tag for show cars

I was at a big show in Louisville this weekend and saw a new product I thought was neat.

Its called an Autobio Tag. Its one of those little tags that you use your smartphone to scan and it takes you to a site. People may be familiar with them from restaurants using them for touchless menus.

For the cars with interested stories to tell, where you can show how a restoration came along I think its a cool deal. Dyno sheets, quarter miles slips etc could all be added.

My only complaint from looking at it is the format seems like it cant be modified. Their standard "Why do you own this car" info spot seems kinda corny to me.

Anyway, I dont have any affiliation, but I thought some of you guys might think it was a good idea too. Looks like its $50 one time purchase, not a subscription fee.

https://autobiotags.com/

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont know, my first thought is 'big brother' and we have enough of someone looking over us already (although I dont think im important enough for someone to be watching me).
But I think it has its merits and seems like a pretty good idea. I tagged it so I can take a closer look. If its really good I would not be surprised to see it start to pop up at all of the shows. I enjoy talking to people at shows but I do see cars that I may have an interest in and no one is around to talk to. So it would def. help in that area. Thanks for bringing it up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew someone was going to say that, and its fair. I just cant think of what someone would do with a drag strip time slip image. We have all seen build threads on a message board, the information is being given away anyway. Just make sure its only information of no consequence.

I had a thought that I would have the first sentence being a detail of the antitheft system. Tell a fib about a geolocation device lol. Might be a theft deterrent to someone trying to case the car.

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 01-25-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could see this being a flipper tool. At only 50 bucks, I am betting the site will sell ads to various vendors.
One year at MACN I stopped to talk to a guy who asked me what I thought of the color of his car (not a Pontiac). This was his hook! Was there over an hour and every time I prefaced a "goodbye " line, he would change subjects, but still on the car. After I left him, I was told by others that this is his therapy. He's a Widower, and bought the car brand new and is in his late 80's.
This car, I would have scanned the code. I love listening to folks brag on their cars, but I think I need to set an alarm on my phone!

Old 01-25-2022, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Could see this being a flipper tool. At only 50 bucks, I am betting the site will sell ads to various vendors.
One year at MACN I stopped to talk to a guy who asked me what I thought of the color of his car (not a Pontiac). This was his hook! Was there over an hour and every time I prefaced a "goodbye " line, he would change subjects, but still on the car. After I left him, I was told by others that this is his therapy. He's a Widower, and bought the car brand new and is in his late 80's.
This car, I would have scanned the code. I love listening to folks brag on their cars, but I think I need to set an alarm on my phone!

Its funny you mention that because this show was one of those. I chatted with several old dudes talking about their cars.

Normally I do not attend car show only type car shows. I go to swap meets or races.

But, its mid winter so I figured I would go to this indoor show. It was fun.

Turns out it was super super high end. Lots of guys had custom fences for their cars. Almost everyone had had lettered show plaques. Some cars that had paint jobs probably worth more than the combined contents of my garage.

Most of them, while very pretty I just feel like are nothing but show cars. Probably barely get driven, but there were some really cool old race cars or survivor stories where the owners were happy to come out and talk about it. I chatted with several of these.

There were 4 Superbirds/Daytonas together. One was a drag car with one of those wild 1970s original windowed kinda paint jobs. Faded and worn. Apparently the 440 was yanked on day two and a Sox & Martin engine then raced until the mid 70s.

I did think it was funny as well that several guys made sure to show some proof in their displays that they actually drove their cars so as not to be labeled a trailer queen.

On the other end was a tri five Nomad with one of the aforementioned Mortgage level paint jobs. Another 70k plus in the interior and a 700 HP BBC. From the engine sheet I would have bet it didnt have much for street manners. Alternator only, no PS pump or anything. I would bet heavily that they dont drive that one much and risk damage to the paint.

I also heard "Surfin USA" I kid you not, 4 times over the speakers in the hour and a half I was there. The number one complaint I hear over and over about car shows is "Please Kill the Doo Wop!"

For all the money at this show these guys didnt even spring for the Time Life collection and apparently only had the one CD.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the "Glam Touring" class of cars is growing!

Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve never heard that term but I like it.

I don’t want to hate on it too much because I enjoyed the show quite a bit. They can keep The Beach Boys, but the show itself was cool.

I just preferred the cars that had real stories to them as opposed to ones that just had barrels of money tossed at them. I guess I get the allure of having a paint job that stands out above and beyond even when you are in a sea if 6 figure cars. It’s just hard for me to connect with when I know I’ll never own it. Stumbling upon a car that has a cool race history or something though seems more attainable and interesting. Restoring it or preserving it and keeping the story alive.

I’m sure that wing car didn’t get driven much either, but it was still cool because the owner loved to tell the story.

Picture of said Superbird from google. In all it’s hideous glory. I mean let’s be real those cars were an eyesore even without the 70s special paint. Cool story though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B859B089-A82E-449E-BF9E-7C360CE1B126.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	582713  

Old 01-26-2022, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont get me wrong, I like the tag idea. As for the show, sounds nice. I dont mind going to those types although it has been several since I have. I like all cars no matter what level of restoration or make. But my philosophy is to drive the thing. Thats where I get the most enjoyment. I suppose some get the same from just looking at it. Its all good.

I am with you on the music thing! Maybe we should put a petition out to anyone planning a show this upcoming season that no music recorded before 1970 is allowed.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:57 PM

No thanks. One more place scumbuckets to hack into and make a shopping list of cars to steal. Complete with a background story and location for pick up. Or worse the business owner starts working with thieves.
Gone in 60 seconds for the 21st century!

Old 01-28-2022, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at some of the examples they show on their website, and it appears to be basically a virtual version of the brag boards many people put in front of their cars at the shows. I didn't see where it's providing any information that's hackable or big brother or any of that.

Considering how many people use smart phones these days, I can see where it could be a useful alternate. There's a $50 one time fee, and I know that getting one of those brag boards made can cost more than that.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:21 PM

The way it works is that you will use a phone or computer to sign up for the service. (Unless your going to sit down and write a letter and send them a check.) Once you have signed up the service has your phone number or IP address and a email address stored on their network. These items in the modern day are no different than your drivers license to the hacker. For the $50 one time fee the service guarantees the highest level of internet security available at all times. (Yeah right. Want to buy a bridge?). Once the hacker cracks into the computer network of the service they will collect your car's biography along with your personal contact data. Then they will begin snooping your internet life looking for clues as to where you are keeping the car. That means they are on the lookout for bills paid to storage locations, all of your posts on social media, pictures on the cloud. All the things you do on the internet are there for them to find. These guys are looking for folks with $30k plus cars that are not stored in secure facilities but, in garages next to houses. Easy pickings in their world. Or you make it even easier by posting to say your taking your car on a trip somewhere.
Many restored cars are never recovered as they end up overseas or parted out and the bodies cut up and the remains crushed.
It is a known fact that some of the most lucrative jobs for young computer whizz kids is in organized crime. Truly a sad testament to the modern world.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your IP and email addresses are stored on this site too, along with your town and a list of your cars....just sayin'. It's pretty difficult to have a zero online presence.
For that matter, if you bring your car to a show and have your name and city written on the entry card or on a brag board, anyone walking by could get that information and track you down pretty easily as well.

Last edited by Stuart; 01-28-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VChoo, I thought my son was paranoid! I do agree that someone with a nefarious intent can and will do whatever they want. But I dont want to live in a bubble. I tell my son all the time, 'Im not that important that people are watching me!'

Old 01-29-2022, 01:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe It’s just me but going to car shows takes me back to a simpler time. It’s refreshing to see old cars and walk around talking to people face to face like we did years ago before all this technology. I much prefer talking to the owners and let them tell me about their cars. When people walk up to my cars I do the same. The last thing I want to see at a classic car show is a bunch of people walking around clutching cell phones in their hands scanning tags all day long and no one speaking to one another. I see that crap going on all day long in daily life.