Old 01-26-2022, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1974 Firebird Full Quarter Replacement

No one (that I know of) re-pops the full 74 quarter panel and full length patch panels are not an option.

Good used 1974 quarters are very hard to find and NOS 1974 quarters are even harder to find.

Given the above if you wanted to do a full quarter on a 74 firebird would you use a re-pop 70-73 quarter and rework the sail panel/rear window area or use a re-pop 75-81 quarter and rework the rear bumper cutout area?

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 01-26-2022, 04:35 PM
Senior Chief

Have you disassembled it yet? Curious how the rear window channel is and the area behind the wheel opening spoiler as well as the rear bumper jam.

Of all the quarters I've ever done, I have only spliced one lengthwise on a 3rd gen Camaro. It's more work to get it right than replacing the full panel. I would go with the full '73 panel because the rear window channels tend to rust through and splice the rear bumper area if yours is still good or fabricate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to HoovDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 08:33 PM

Used a 80 quarter and outer wheel housing. 74 is the same quarter as a 75-81 but with a small rear window. Cut the 80 below window and into factory trunk seam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3463.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	582803  

Old 01-31-2022, 02:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
Used a 80 quarter and outer wheel housing. 74 is the same quarter as a 75-81 but with a small rear window. Cut the 80 below window and into factory trunk seam.
Thanks - I'm very familiar with that process as that's exactly what I did on my TA many years ago;

I'm going to do full aftermarket quarters - so I know that same process using a 75-81 quarter will work. But I'm trying to determine if using a repro full 70-73 quarter and reworking the tailpanel/lower quarter area (behind the rear wheel) using a 1/2 patch panel would be a cleaner approach.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 73 Panel will be a "cleaner" approach seeing the scrutiny you are under.
If your tail section of the current quarter is good, you would have to splice it in.
Taking you car apart on the welds at the "vinyl roof line" will be a hack job at best to try to but weld to
and could show through after its all cured etc. If it was Not done already, It might be the way to go.
I like to keep any repairs out of easily seen areas.
ALL... IMHO

Old 02-04-2022, 12:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
The 73 Panel will be a "cleaner" approach seeing the scrutiny you are under.
If your tail section of the current quarter is good, you would have to splice it in.
Taking you car apart on the welds at the "vinyl roof line" will be a hack job at best to try to but weld to
and could show through after its all cured etc. If it was Not done already, It might be the way to go.
I like to keep any repairs out of easily seen areas.
ALL... IMHO
Thanks for the input. That's the direction we are leaning towards as well, for the same reasons you state.