Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 11-08-2001, 07:23 PM

Beware I got charged $30.00+ to look at a chewed up milodon gear drive.Heres how. Posted here on PYBB "Milodon gear drive, was installed but motor was never run,150.00" I emailed John"GTOKID"Bailey. I asked if the gear drive was damaged or modified in any way.John"GTOKID"Bailey reaponded that it was "compleat and unused".I made a phone call to him for further details. I agreed to buy the Milodon gear drive for $150.00+$20.00 shipping and handling.I sent him a money order. John"GTOKID"Bailey sent me the gear drive. The Milodon gear drive I received wasn't the one he described to me. The gear drive I received was obviously used and very badly damaged. It looked like the mounting bolts were either too long or they backed out and hit the cam gear/hub assembly. This left deep gouges in the back of the gear and ruined the thrust bearing surface on the hub. The thrust bearing included was pitted due to rust. The idler bearing felt rough (I didn't take it apart).
The cost to repair + what I already had in this would be much more than a new gear drive.
I emailed John"GTOKID"Bailey about these problems. He told me he would refund my money.So I assumed that it was just a mistake. I sent the gear drive back to him as I received it(costing another $11.00). John"GTOKID"Bailey sent me a check for $150.00, wrote on the check was this "restocking fee $20.00". I cashed the check thinking I should be happy to get that much back.I emailed John"GTOKID"Bailey again questioning the "restocking fee" reminding him that his desription of the gear drive did not match the gear drive I received.In his last email he stated that "if you buy a part from jegs and send it back you get the part price back not shipping and handling.I sent you 150 back,end of story. I will be at the attco race if you feel the need to speak to me." Well by then I didn't think it was a mistake any more.(I have all the emails to back up what I have said here.)I was polite , I asked the right questions, I sent the money promptly.So thats how to look at a ruined gear drive for $30.00+.
Don"dj21502"Armentrout

Old 11-08-2001, 07:23 PM

Beware I got charged $30.00+ to look at a chewed up milodon gear drive.Heres how. Posted here on PYBB "Milodon gear drive, was installed but motor was never run,150.00" I emailed John"GTOKID"Bailey. I asked if the gear drive was damaged or modified in any way.John"GTOKID"Bailey reaponded that it was "compleat and unused".I made a phone call to him for further details. I agreed to buy the Milodon gear drive for $150.00+$20.00 shipping and handling.I sent him a money order. John"GTOKID"Bailey sent me the gear drive. The Milodon gear drive I received wasn't the one he described to me. The gear drive I received was obviously used and very badly damaged. It looked like the mounting bolts were either too long or they backed out and hit the cam gear/hub assembly. This left deep gouges in the back of the gear and ruined the thrust bearing surface on the hub. The thrust bearing included was pitted due to rust. The idler bearing felt rough (I didn't take it apart).
The cost to repair + what I already had in this would be much more than a new gear drive.
I emailed John"GTOKID"Bailey about these problems. He told me he would refund my money.So I assumed that it was just a mistake. I sent the gear drive back to him as I received it(costing another $11.00). John"GTOKID"Bailey sent me a check for $150.00, wrote on the check was this "restocking fee $20.00". I cashed the check thinking I should be happy to get that much back.I emailed John"GTOKID"Bailey again questioning the "restocking fee" reminding him that his desription of the gear drive did not match the gear drive I received.In his last email he stated that "if you buy a part from jegs and send it back you get the part price back not shipping and handling.I sent you 150 back,end of story. I will be at the attco race if you feel the need to speak to me." Well by then I didn't think it was a mistake any more.(I have all the emails to back up what I have said here.)I was polite , I asked the right questions, I sent the money promptly.So thats how to look at a ruined gear drive for $30.00+.
Don"dj21502"Armentrout

Old 11-08-2001, 10:43 PM
Suspended

Where's "LaVale?"

Old 11-08-2001, 11:15 PM

Just down the road a piece from "see my cars profile".

Sorry, couldn't resist [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Kurt

Old 11-09-2001, 12:20 PM

GTOkid

Old 11-09-2001, 12:21 PM

See milodon gear drive topic for more info

Old 11-09-2001, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Matt,
Check your email.I think i have the resolution to this.Let me know..

Old 11-09-2001, 05:20 PM

GTOKID,
I would like to hear your side of this story,I and everyone else can't make a decision about this without it.
I have recently considered buying a few parts from you,but now I don't know.

I guess.......(Red Green)
Old 11-09-2001, 06:02 PM
On Vacation

I was going to buy a Firebird that he was selling a while back. A few other guys here had apparently owned it and all of them had gotten rid of it before it was raced. Paul Spotts was one of the owners. If I hadn't e-mailed him and asked him about the car, I would have never found out that it was in an accident before and the frame rail had been repaired. Paul said it looked OK, but.....

After I heard about that, plus the cars long history of owners, all of which decided NOT to race the car, I decided to pass on the car. I don't know if I ever would have gotten the whole story out of John or not.

This was my only experience in dealing with him and he didn't rip me off, but I didn't get the whole story from him either.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:09 PM

Scott, LaVale is in western Maryland.If you are going to stop by get me a happy meal,I'm hungry and the toy would take my mind off of my hobby.

Old 11-10-2001, 12:35 PM

So this guy obviously must see these posts about him, and he hasn't even tried sticking up for himself.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 11-10-2001, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sold a gear drive for a guy who lives local,150.00 i got it in a box, sold as described to me..like I have done many times before. Don said it needed a thrust washer and race and had been run. I told him no problem. He sent it back.I sent him 150. bucks I ordered a washer and race and changed the ad to say gear drive 150. never gave it any thought, just threw in new washer and race in the box.. and resold it to Matt. Matt e-mailed and said he wanted to keep the part and wanted 100-150 to fix it. I said if you don't want it just send it back and I will give you a full refund 150.00. Then, later he e-mailed saying he spent 4 hrs taking it apart and it needs everything, and is not fixable. Matt said he wants 190. sent to him. In return he will ship the disassembled gear drive back.(after he worked on it for 4 hrs, can't imagine what he could have been doing with it that long.)I now have no idea whats left.. and what condition it is in and how much damage Matt did working on it for 4 hrs. I would like to help him out but can in no way send him 40. more than the selling price of the part. BTW the 82 firebird I got from paul was sold with no info about its past. I payed 3500.00 and sold it for 1800.(boy I sure made money on that one!) hear its running very low 10's with a BBC. I also got charged 15 bucks when bigunde sold me HO heads and decided he could never get off work early enuff to ship them, so he charged me a fee cause he decided not to sell me the heads.(he promised to send me the 15.00 on the BBS but failed to send me any money). If Matt sends the gear drive back to me, I will evaluate it and try to make a fair solution. My reputation is well known on the East Coast and on the internet as GTOKID and have sold 10's of thousands of Pontiac parts for myself and mostly for others and have a no questions asked return policy. IF sell a part and if returned in same condition, I give full selling price refund no questions asked.

[This message has been edited by GTOKID (edited 11-10-2001).]

Old 11-10-2001, 08:16 PM

That's not completely true John. I did inform you of all the problems(stated in matts and my posts) with the gear drive.(I still have the emails)As far as matt taking the gear drive apart,he couldn't hurt it any more than it was in four hours or four years.

Old 11-10-2001, 08:34 PM

And while i'm thinking about it. It's a simple process:If I screwed up I foot the bill if you screw up you pay.It's called responsibility and accountability it doesn't matter who you sold it for.You posted it, you put your reputation up.I'm bothered by the money that I am out over this, but to resell the gear drive to someone else after I told you all the problems with it!!!I don't know what to say.

Old 11-10-2001, 11:32 PM
Suspended

I bought a pair of headers from John. Better than advertised.

Old 11-11-2001, 12:05 AM

Well Scott what can I say. I didn't buy headers I bought a gear drive from John.
Maybe he likes you better.

[This message has been edited by dj21502 (edited 11-10-2001).]

Old 11-11-2001, 08:15 AM
Suspended

No, dj, I'll guarantee NOBODY likes ME better.

I just figured I'd illustrate the fact that GTOKID doesn't make it his normal business to cornhole EVERYBODY.

Old 11-11-2001, 10:21 AM

Scott, I never said that everything John owns or sold was junk, nor did I say that he dishonest with all his customers. My problem is his business ethics with Matt and myself.My response to you of maybe he likes you better was a joke.I might do business with John again sometime, but not without seeing the part before any money is paid.

Old 11-12-2001, 12:33 AM

Thank you for posting the truth of the matter Don. I will return the gear drive for the fair amount of $150 plus the $20 charged for shipping plus return shipping (which would obviously be less than $20. As for the condition of the gear drive the idler bearing and shaft are unusable. The bearing comes installed on the idler gear only from Milodon so I listed that price. I think the cam gear will be OK, but the hub thrust surface is ruined. Every hex bolt was stripped on the entire unit, the cam bolts which are specialized Milodon button head bolts (5/16 fine thread with heads cut) and the 1/4 fine flat heads that retain the idler shaft. If you have ever removed Loctited bolts with stripped heads you would know why that took 4 hours. All 9 bolts had to be set up on dill press and drilled center to easy out. Also chased threads to remove loctite. Cleaned rust from plate and all surfaces. I know Don I'm stupid for not sending it back and taking my $30 dollar medicine, but I refuse to let him do the same thing to someone else.

Old 11-20-2001, 09:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I just bought a Holley Street Dominator intake from John, (GTOKid). It arrived very quickly and was as good or better than he said it would be. I'm very happy with all of my dealings with GTOKid.
No, I've never met him or know him in any way other than buying parts from him. But I WILL do business with him again!

David Holmberg