Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Flexible exhaust couplings

Have any of you ever used the stainless "braided" style "flex coupling" on your exhaust like new cars use? I have a pretty "rigid" exhaust system, 2 1/2 dual with "H" pipe. Hangers are tight. The 455 with 041 cam tends to rock a little in the mounts, and my head pipe to manifold bolts keep getting loose after numerous miles. I am thinking if the exhaust can move more freely with the engine, it will not have such a load on my headpipes and RA manifolds. Was thinking of using it in the "H pipe" section.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Senior Chief

Good inquiry and yes it can be done either between the pipes if three is room or on each pipe before the crossover or X.
A guy i know with a 455 buick (3inch) used two and welded on band clamps, it looks nice and neat . He had some issues with his high flow manifolds and thought the same as yourself, problem solved.
I wish i had some pics,looks good.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I have built hot rod (32 Ford/SBC) exhaust systems and dual systems for several 60's era cars using flex sections. Works great.

On the street rods, we welded 4-bolt flanges to both the flex and the intermediate pipes, then assembled everything with composite gaskets. Easy to disassemble and no leaks. It has a nice, "industrial" look, too.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the input Torquewar. I love the sound of the 041, but it does lope a bit at idle, (have done a lot of tuning to smooth it out, with a lot of help from people here) I dont like the idea of the engine "pressing" against the whole exhaust. In the guy's Buick you mentioned, did he mount the coupling at the front of the headpipes? I ordered two of them, I am curious if i need to mount another set of exhaust hangers on the tranny crossmember when I do this, or will it hang ok on the four rear mounts with the flexible coupling in the front? Otherwise, I will mount it in the H section. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt455 View Post
Yes, I have built hot rod (32 Ford/SBC) exhaust systems and dual systems for several 60's era cars using flex sections. Works great.

On the street rods, we welded 4-bolt flanges to both the flex and the intermediate pipes, then assembled everything with composite gaskets. Easy to disassemble and no leaks. It has a nice, "industrial" look, too.
Do you have any pictures? I work on late model cars all the time, notice almost everything has it now, and I beleive they use it to cut down on exhaust vibration and resonance. As well as allow normal movement of engine /tranny. When my pipes get a little loose, they will "squeak". Had this problem as well with the "mild" cam I used to run that idled very smooth. it is just more "pronounced" now with this cam. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

I dont have any pictures ,it would be easier to see then to explain. I remember when i helped with the system , the decision was to weld the flex to the head pipe and then use a band clamp with weld on rings to the pipes leading into the X cross over. This allows for trans removal later if needed.
We did use rubber mounts off the trans cross member for extra support. The mounts are very small oval shape with a slot in either end just generic part store purchase. Two small pieces of flat bar were welded in place one on the pipe and one on the cross member.
Stainless was used and the car underneath is show quality, the installation looks clean. Hope this gives you some ideas to fab your system.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Do you have any pictures? I work on late model cars all the time, notice almost everything has it now, and I beleive they use it to cut down on exhaust vibration and resonance. As well as allow normal movement of engine /tranny. When my pipes get a little loose, they will "squeak". Had this problem as well with the "mild" cam I used to run that idled very smooth. it is just more "pronounced" now with this cam. Thanks.
No pics available right now.
I will take a few pics & post them as soon as possible; probably Sunday.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Had the Summit Flex couplings installed at the front of the exhaust and work great. The 2 1/2 x 10" pipe was stiff enough I didnt need any non stock hangers added. Lets the engine move without pressing down on my manifolds and headpipes. A modification I highly recommend,

Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Nice to see you have it done and are pleased with the modification. The couplings are a good option if needed.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Finally got a couple of pics of the flex on the 32 Ford.
I thought we had mounted the flex between the collectors and the front exhaust pipe, but that was a different car that had long-tube headers.

On this car, the flex sections are installed between the front exhaust pipes (very short down-pipes) and the intermediate pipes.

This car is still under construction; not all the fasteners are installed yet.
The first pic is taken from below the frame rail on the driver's side. You can also see the passenger side flex in the background.

This photo shows the passenger side flex section, looking down through the frame next to the transmission.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt455 View Post
Finally got a couple of pics of the flex on the 32 Ford.
I thought we had mounted the flex between the collectors and the front exhaust pipe, but that was a different car that had long-tube headers.

On this car, the flex sections are installed between the front exhaust pipes (very short down-pipes) and the intermediate pipes.

This car is still under construction; not all the fasteners are installed yet.
The first pic is taken from below the frame rail on the driver's side. You can also see the passenger side flex in the background.

This photo shows the passenger side flex section, looking down through the frame next to the transmission
Thanks for posting. Will post some of mine when I get the chance.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquewar View Post
Nice to see you have it done and are pleased with the modification. The couplings are a good option if needed.
Thanks>.