Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 01-29-2001, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to replace the entire system on my 1966 Grand Prix. (389 4bbl T400)

Right now it has a dual system which I believe it should have. But it only has two mufflers. They are located under the rear passenger area.

Am I correct that it should also have two long skinny ones right down the back on either side of the fuel tank?? I've seen these long skinny ones on a '65 Bonneville but have never seen a stock standard '66 Grand Prix

Any advise will be gratefully received.

Old 01-29-2001, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to replace the entire system on my 1966 Grand Prix. (389 4bbl T400)

Right now it has a dual system which I believe it should have. But it only has two mufflers. They are located under the rear passenger area.

Am I correct that it should also have two long skinny ones right down the back on either side of the fuel tank?? I've seen these long skinny ones on a '65 Bonneville but have never seen a stock standard '66 Grand Prix

Any advise will be gratefully received.

Old 01-29-2001, 02:48 PM
Administrator

You are referring to "resonators" found on some pontiac models. Your 66 grand Prix 400 2bbl & 4bbl w/dual exhaust except station wagon would have #9798281 on both sides. These were 1 3/4" outlet size. I may have a couple if you're interested I'll check.

Old 01-29-2001, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chris,

The car has a 389 4bbl engine. Not a 400

The trans is a TH400. Sorry if I've confused you.

I'm only interested in putting the exhaust back exactly as the car left the factory which is why I would like to know about the number of muffler's / resonators.

I have this firm belief that someone with a far greater knowledge than I have and an infinate amount of money at their resources worked out exactly the best specifications on all parts of my car. Putting a dead stock exhaust on my 1965 Parisienne Convertible turned it from a bad dog driver to a much better and smoother car. A lesson that I've never forgotten.

The practicalities of shipping parts over to Australia are not difficult but can be expensive. Let me know what you have and I'll make a decision on which way to go.