Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 02-24-2001, 12:07 PM

I am looking to replace my 74 SD455 T/A exhaust system. Currently it has a muffler shop system with two turbo mufflers. I want to return to a crossflow muffler (Flowmaster) with the proper 21/2" pipes and 21/4" tailpipes. I want it to run in the stock location and I want to be able to use the original chrome tips. The problem I am running into is that most systems available run only true dual exhaust.(I do not like the turbos hanging down) I am aware of Gardner Exhaust but are their other alternatives. The more performance oriented the better (mandrel bends). Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2001, 12:07 PM

I am looking to replace my 74 SD455 T/A exhaust system. Currently it has a muffler shop system with two turbo mufflers. I want to return to a crossflow muffler (Flowmaster) with the proper 21/2" pipes and 21/4" tailpipes. I want it to run in the stock location and I want to be able to use the original chrome tips. The problem I am running into is that most systems available run only true dual exhaust.(I do not like the turbos hanging down) I am aware of Gardner Exhaust but are their other alternatives. The more performance oriented the better (mandrel bends). Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2001, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad has the 42582 dual inlet/outlet tranverse mount muffler on his 72 T/A. This is a great performance muffler that performs great and sounds even better. I'm going to use this muffler when I swap heads and exhaust manifolds on my 76.

Now for my exhaust plan. Torque Tech makes 2.5" mandrel bent headpipes to fit the RA/HO manifolds. Skip Fix used them and said they fit well needed minor tweaking. From the headpipes, I plan on using the Flowmaster kit which includes a 2.5" mandrel bent system(from headers back) and the 42582 muffler. I'll mate the Torque Tech lead pipe to the Flowmaster mandrel pipes into the muffler. I'll then have the exhaust shop bend some 2.25" tailpipes and fit them with 1974 Firebird exhaust tips.

I've discussed this set-up with Jim Hand and he feels that the 2.25" tailpipes will not be an issue as the volume and temp of the exhaust gas has been greatly reduced by that point. I'm considering using the balance tube that comes with the Flowmaster system but I'm still up in the air on that point. I've also considered the X-pipe but I don't care for the sound. When it's all said and done, the system sould look good and perform well. Just my thoughts