Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-07-2000, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi everyone,

I have read some VERY interesting discussions in this arena! The whole manifolding (both in and out) study is, I believe, where some REAL power can be achieved.

I would like to submit to you a combination I have on my '62 GP that I have been happy with for several reasons (below):

Paul Delfield's Ram Air Restoration Long-Branch repros with 2.5" pipes into Walker Super Turbos into 2.5" tailpipes.

Non-ET-backed Comments (from a street guy who's kinda new to the Pontiac Performance "family") on the manifolds and mufflers:

Manifolds: made from high-Ni iron so they are less brittle than 35 year old originals; don't have the pre-heater flapper (but are cast for the drilling if you are doing a restoration); When I bought them, Paul hadn't sold them to anyone intending their use in a pre-'65 B-body, but I took a chance. I had to grind part of the driver's engine mount (not a structural issue, just rounded a corner) and grind perhaps 1/32" to 1/16" from the inside of the pittman arm (along the casting line) that faces the manifold. It is my opinion that the are's strength is not compromised due to the modification. (If anyone has contrary data, please email me- I am ALWAYS willing to learn of objective findings)

I mounted them with Fel-Pro steel gaskets in 1996 and haven't had so much as a leak or the slightest bit of trouble with them since! I fully realize that headers are superior in terms of raw flow rates and balance over manifolds, but I have been really happy with how well the car pulls with these "manifolds". It is also my belief that the car on the street in (virtually) stock trim wouldn't /measureably/ benefit from the weight savings alone from tube headers over these gems. Comments?

Mufflers: Dynomax 17749s were about $50 each in Milwaukee in '96. They are about 30" long overall, so they may not work in A- or F-bodies. I prefer the long muffler because I believe a case can be made that the flow disturbance (as in lost exit velocity) from a short-S transition would be greater than for a stretched-S transition.

They allow a respectable rumble from the 389 I have in the GP (which has an 068-ish cam from P.A.W.) at idle and under hard acceleration they wake up and tell you your foot is in it.

Future exhaust-system plans are an X-type cross over (I see others on this page are interested in this, too!) and mandrel-bent pipes.

Thanx for reading my ramblings; I offered this not to plug products but to share with you guys what has seemed to work well for me.
And I know what you're thinking, without DATA, it's just an OPINION...Next spring I am going to Union Grove to get some data!

Stay Tuned!

Old 11-07-2000, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi everyone,

I have read some VERY interesting discussions in this arena! The whole manifolding (both in and out) study is, I believe, where some REAL power can be achieved.

I would like to submit to you a combination I have on my '62 GP that I have been happy with for several reasons (below):

Paul Delfield's Ram Air Restoration Long-Branch repros with 2.5" pipes into Walker Super Turbos into 2.5" tailpipes.

Non-ET-backed Comments (from a street guy who's kinda new to the Pontiac Performance "family") on the manifolds and mufflers:

Manifolds: made from high-Ni iron so they are less brittle than 35 year old originals; don't have the pre-heater flapper (but are cast for the drilling if you are doing a restoration); When I bought them, Paul hadn't sold them to anyone intending their use in a pre-'65 B-body, but I took a chance. I had to grind part of the driver's engine mount (not a structural issue, just rounded a corner) and grind perhaps 1/32" to 1/16" from the inside of the pittman arm (along the casting line) that faces the manifold. It is my opinion that the are's strength is not compromised due to the modification. (If anyone has contrary data, please email me- I am ALWAYS willing to learn of objective findings)

I mounted them with Fel-Pro steel gaskets in 1996 and haven't had so much as a leak or the slightest bit of trouble with them since! I fully realize that headers are superior in terms of raw flow rates and balance over manifolds, but I have been really happy with how well the car pulls with these "manifolds". It is also my belief that the car on the street in (virtually) stock trim wouldn't /measureably/ benefit from the weight savings alone from tube headers over these gems. Comments?

Mufflers: Dynomax 17749s were about $50 each in Milwaukee in '96. They are about 30" long overall, so they may not work in A- or F-bodies. I prefer the long muffler because I believe a case can be made that the flow disturbance (as in lost exit velocity) from a short-S transition would be greater than for a stretched-S transition.

They allow a respectable rumble from the 389 I have in the GP (which has an 068-ish cam from P.A.W.) at idle and under hard acceleration they wake up and tell you your foot is in it.

Future exhaust-system plans are an X-type cross over (I see others on this page are interested in this, too!) and mandrel-bent pipes.

Thanx for reading my ramblings; I offered this not to plug products but to share with you guys what has seemed to work well for me.
And I know what you're thinking, without DATA, it's just an OPINION...Next spring I am going to Union Grove to get some data!

Stay Tuned!