Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-27-2024, 09:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Broke the one of the top eyelet off mine in high school doing a 3k neutral drop with protrac stickies. Dumb kid back then. Fun though.

The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightAuto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy with 70 Ram IV judge broke his. Just Gears though. This is funny when I pull the cover. NO ! Rear end oil. I’m like Greg your supposed to check your rear you know like checking your oil. LOL

Old 01-27-2024, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is even funnier, I talked him into buying the Judge after he sold his 68 Camaro. Went to Pontiac dealer with him… but I order it, Ram air IV and suspension package. Turbo 400 trans. On the way home he says Lou you think black is going to look good, Don’t worry Greg your going to love it…LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FF7AD71-CD0A-4C2C-BC68-38289074E322.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	627294  

Old 01-27-2024, 10:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jinkies...this tread giving me more Grey hairs...i guess I'll be moving that rear end upgrade higher in the growing queue...I had no idea it was that weak

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 01-27-2024, 11:45 PM
Boost Engineer

1) Broke the driver's side Rear Bearing cap.
2) Swapped to whole rear out for another 8.2 BOP which broke one of the axle shafts, (that was scary).

Replaced the rear axle for a 2.73 rear axle and small tires and had to issues with that
10 bolt rear.

Swapped the 2.73 rear axle for the original "Jim Wangers 64 GTO 4:33 (red car).
No issues with that. Later swapped the rear to Tenny so he had the correct real axle under the read car and installed a Ford 9" rear under the car. "N" case center section
and later bought from (Larry with the 1961 Catalina SS car) a Strange "Bullet Proof"
Ford center section. I now have two of those (one under the car presently) along with some gears from Larry K and Joe Z, so have a string rear set-up. The center sections use a Moser built rear housing and I have installed 4 wheel "Explorer" rear disc brakes.

That being said I was goos at swapping BOP 8.2 complete axle assemblies under the car when a teenager.

8.2 BOPs were not worth the money to sell them for scrap metal.

Tom V.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 11:45 PM
Boost Engineer

1) Broke the driver's side Rear Bearing cap.
2) Swapped to whole rear out for another 8.2 BOP which broke one of the axle shafts, (that was scary).

Replaced the rear axle for a 2.73 rear axle and small tires and had to issues with that
10 bolt rear.

Swapped the 2.73 rear axle for the original "Jim Wangers 64 GTO 4:33 (red car).
No issues with that. Later swapped the rear to Tenny so he had the correct real axle under the read car and installed a Ford 9" rear under the car. "N" case center section
and later bought from (Larry with the 1961 Catalina SS car) a Strange "Bullet Proof"
Ford center section. I now have two of those (one under the car presently) along with some gears from Larry K and Joe Z, so have a string rear set-up. The center sections use a Moser built rear housing and I have installed 4 wheel "Explorer" rear disc brakes.

That being said I was good at swapping BOP 8.2 complete axle assemblies under the car when a teenager.

8.2 BOPs were not worth the money to sell them for scrap metal.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once I started making more power, above 650 hp. Back then wasn’t any aftermarket rears available like there is now. Had rear end done to handle the power. Which meant Chrome Molly axle tubes. Welded and reinforced. Mark Williams axles, with clip Eliminator‘s. Axle tube braces. Rear end cover that gets torque and puts pressure on the main caps, and pro gears. Kinsler has same set up 12 bolt and runs mid 7’s. The Ford 9’s is ok but its allot heavier then a 12 bolt. So when your chasing ET’s you go with the lightest. Been running car with that 12 bolt for 28 years, well worth the investment.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I broke two when I was a teenager in the early 90's, but unless you are doing 6000 RPM clutch drops with a Marlboro red in one hand and AC/DC cranking at full volume through your Panasonic cassette player and sweet-ass Jensen 6x9's, I am not sure my experience is relevant for your situation.
You forgot the Kraco amp pushing those Jensen Triaxles. !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 03:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It sucks that GM had weaker rear ends and 4 speeds than the Ford and Mopar guys. A LS6 should have something better than a Muncie and 12 bolt.
Myself, I broke a 10 bolt posi with a 400. Went to a 9" with 400 and did not hurt it. 455, with 9", broke Trac Loc then Detroit Locker. Went spool and MW axles. Eventually broke the 31 spline MW axles. Bent the snout out of my housing.
Straightened it and installed back brace, Moser Thru bolt big pinion, 40 spline Pro gear center section and 40 spline gun drilled, star flange axles.
If I had to do it all again the lightweight Strange Dana 60 might be the way to go. Light, full floater and they have a bolt on cover so they at least look kinda stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The word back then was the axle tubes would bend causing everything to flex. I bought a 12 bolt cheap, when we checked it, axle tubes where bent. I brought it back and got my money back. Thats when I decide to go Chrome Molly axle tubes. Plus put axle tube braces. I just seen so many rear end blow. All I could picture is going though traps at 140 mph and have one let go, thats when I decide to spend money and make as bullet proof as I can.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want an 8.2 to last forever the key is .... open diff, auto trans, no racing

Old 01-28-2024, 06:44 AM

I completely snapped the bearing carrier off of the housing in an 8.5 2nd to 3rd gear change on the track and a ridicuiously loud bang. Had a ford 9" under there since.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

8.2 BOP behind my 455 here. Spent the 1st 20 years of ownership with a 4:56 gear behind a 3500 stall convertor. I never, repeat never left a stop sign or light without leaning my mark and routinely beat it like crazy including many long burnouts on uneven road surfaces where I thought "Yep I'm sure that one broke an axle."

I swapped my convertor with Lee Atkinson (who wanted to try a higher stall in his Firebird) for his Huges BOP 25. After about 5 more years of abuse, my posi gave up and began peg legging, I bought a used 8.2/3.55 from a forumite who claimed it was rebuilt but it wasn't. Had a shop rebuild it and the trans and put it in along with new axle bearings 10 years ago. The trans rebuilder set up my trans with good firm shifts and I've been driving it ever since. All told, I've owned the car for 35 years and besides the posi wear, the rear end has never been an issue.

Perhaps being an automatic on street tires helps but the 8.2 rear end is the last thing I've ever worried about.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 01-28-2024 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

@Tom ; i bet that 2.73:1 was a whole lotta fun. My 2.73:1 12-Bolt was great fun for drives involving the highway.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I broke two when I was a teenager in the early 90's, but unless you are doing 6000 RPM clutch drops with a Marlboro red in one hand and AC/DC cranking at full volume through your Panasonic cassette player and sweet-ass Jensen 6x9's, I am not sure my experience is relevant for your situation.
LMAO

GT

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueghoast For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m still laughing LOL only because it sounds familiar.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
I have broke a few but the best one I saw was a 69 GTO the housing split in half from top cover bolt to the bottom cover only thing holding it together was the cover. I was at the purestock race in 17 and a 70 magnum 400 started to do a burn out in the box next to me I just happen to look over and bang every drop of gear oil dumped out on the track in 30 seconds or so. I’m pretty sure it did the same thing.
LOL….That is some awesome 10 bolt carnage!

My buddy said I should carry a bag of floor dry in the trunk so when the 10 bolt’s shrapnel comes through the floor it puncher’s the bag and helps soak up the gear oil.

It is a solid idea LOL

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wk86GV...eHBsb3Npb24%3D

Old 01-29-2024, 07:12 PM

Broke the spider gears and twisted both axles using 9 inch slicks. 12.7 at 107mph. Replaced everything with Moser axles and Moser's Ford 9 inch.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
8.2 BOP behind my 455 here. Spent the 1st 20 years of ownership with a 4:56 gear behind a 3500 stall convertor. I never, repeat never left a stop sign or light without leaning my mark and routinely beat it like crazy including many long burnouts on uneven road surfaces where I thought "Yep I'm sure that one broke an axle."

I swapped my convertor with Lee Atkinson (who wanted to try a higher stall in his Firebird) for his Huges BOP 25. After about 5 more years of abuse, my posi gave up and began peg legging, I bought a used 8.2/3.55 from a forumite who claimed it was rebuilt but it wasn't. Had a shop rebuild it and the trans and put it in along with new axle bearings 10 years ago. The trans rebuilder set up my trans with good firm shifts and I've been driving it ever since. All told, I've owned the car for 35 years and besides the posi wear, the rear end has never been an issue.

Perhaps being an automatic on street tires helps but the 8.2 rear end is the last thing I've ever worried about.
Back in the early 70's, my stock 3.55 rear on my pattern 69 Judge with 4spd was thrashed many times in street races. Never had an issue until one day I discovered one of the rear wheels seemed very hot to the touch. Finally looked to the rear and found the axles were very sloppy. Took out the axle on one side and the ball bearings just fell out onto the ground. Couldn't believe it. Took it to a local auto parts store to have another bearing pressed on. Was told the old bearing spun on the axle and was recommended to get a new one. I didn't and had the new bearing pressed on the old axle. Changed both axle bearings and never had another issue. The rear held up fine, but I wasn't hole shotting the car on a dragstrip either. I think for street use many of these rears held up fine with stock HP motors. However, if you began to gain more HP, that could be another matter.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Air IV Jack View Post
Back in the early 70's, my stock 3.55 rear on my pattern 69 Judge with 4spd was thrashed many times in street races. Never had an issue until one day I discovered one of the rear wheels seemed very hot to the touch. Finally looked to the rear and found the axles were very sloppy. Took out the axle on one side and the ball bearings just fell out onto the ground. Couldn't believe it. Took it to a local auto parts store to have another bearing pressed on. Was told the old bearing spun on the axle and was recommended to get a new one. I didn't and had the new bearing pressed on the old axle. Changed both axle bearings and never had another issue. The rear held up fine, but I wasn't hole shotting the car on a dragstrip either. I think for street use many of these rears held up fine with stock HP motors. However, if you began to gain more HP, that could be another matter.
Would that 8.2 with 3.55s in a 69 Judge be an nodular (N) rear axle?