Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Suggestion: Do not "practice" on an engine you care about. Head to the Treasure Yard, buy some craptastic core--Chevy, Ford...whatever you can get cheap. "Practice" on a sacrificial engine that you can screw-up and not shed tears over.

Saw the note on one posted photo about reusing a 3-hour-old head gasket. Woof. The gasket has been crushed, reuse is NOT recommended.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your measurements means nothing and nobody in their right mind cares about them. You need to look forward and forget what that moonshiner did to ruin your engine. Let the pros take care of the engine and be done with it before it´s trash. It´s the only way to ever have a proper functional engine. You can dream as much as you want. but an engine builder you will never be, this you have shown over and over again.

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 04:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So after 10 pages and 200 posts, with lots of incoherent rambling, irrelevant or incorrect data and argumentative responses to really good expert advice here you are. It sounds like you're finally saying you'll hand it over to a pro but something tells me this is not over yet.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

(what the moonshiner Did,) I just piss my pants. unfortunately Mike you have enough confidence in yourself to screw it all up. Please listen to those who are trying to help you avoid a disaster.

Old 02-02-2024, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mikes reply:

Yes, I have established this and I am simply getting my measurements this weekend.
Dragncars reply:
Mike, for the love of God, do not measure anything.
Give the whole thing to a competent shop and kindly ask him to fix your mess.
Then give him his space and let him give you back a fully rebuilt engine.
Be prepared to open up your wallet. Now is not the time to skimp.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been around this stuff since 1962 and cant count how many times I have seen someone to not have the time and or money to do things right but seem to find the time and money to do it OVER!FWIW,tom

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike won't listen. Think about it, he's had the car for ten years, still blames the previous owner for all his current woes. We all want to help, but what he wants differs - he wants to salvage ye olde pistons. When people told him that paint under timing covers wasn't good, he wanted to sand the block's face - everybody reeled. His destructive ambitions have advanced since then, now he wants to... sandblast. Because it works for trailers. Without an overwhelming consensus, he IS going to do what he wants to do (even if it's ill-conceived).

Old 02-03-2024, 02:53 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Mike won't listen. Think about it, he's had the car for ten years, still blames the previous owner for all his current woes. We all want to help, but what he wants differs - he wants to salvage ye olde pistons. When people told him that paint under timing covers wasn't good, he wanted to sand the block's face - everybody reeled. His destructive ambitions have advanced since then, now he wants to... sandblast. Because it works for trailers. Without an overwhelming consensus, he IS going to do what he wants to do (even if it's ill-conceived).
Mikes reply:

Yes, I have been fixing the mistakes that my predecessor made over the past ten years.

Not to call you a liar, But I did not sand the Block face, after getting told not to.

Destructive ambitions?
There is a difference in not knowing how to do something in the Auto world, when it differs from construction, but I am learning.

I experiment at times, so I learn, why are you being so negative toward Mike anyway? What side of the bed did you wake up on or is that you are old and crampy? Whatever it is, I don't want you to spoil my Thread with negative statements that don't make yourself look smart. I insist that you encourage me so that I will be ready to build this motor the correct way while learning a ton of new information. Remember you have been dealing with the Automotive industries since the model Tee was in vented and you have forgotten more than Mike has learned. Now balk about the change from first person to the second, or get back on track and teach me something, please.

Mike is listening and learning and enjoying the Hobby, don't ruin it for him.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:01 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I have been around this stuff since 1962 and can't count how many times I have seen someone to not have the time and or money to do things right but seem to find the time and money to do it OVER! FWIW, tom
Mikes reply:

Before I made any changes or made any decisions, I have been asking the forum first.

You're throwing me under the bus pre-maturely,
slow down, let me think. This way I can make the best decision, there is a lot to digest for me, all at once.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:12 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Dragncars reply:
Mike, for the love of God, do not measure anything.
Give the whole thing to a competent shop and kindly ask him to fix your mess.
Then give him his space and let him give you back a fully rebuilt engine.
Be prepared to open up your wallet. Now is not the time to skimp.
I have just read in the book that I recently bought, don't sand blast the inside of the motor, that media or other media can be stuck in the pours and low areas of the cast metal, then released into the oil and consequentially into the motor.

So, I elected not to do that.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:55 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
(what the moonshiner Did,) I just pissed my pants. unfortunately, Mike you have enough confidence in yourself to screw it all up. Please listen to those who are trying to help you avoid a disaster.
Mikes reply:

I am listening to you and I appreciate your involvement.

Since these Pistons are most likely going to be replaced, I am using them to teach myself where and how to measure them.

The Block needs extra cast flashing and the sharp edges bumped/removed, so that this procedure will prevent cracks in the future, where using a 3" round soft metal wheel in a drill, using slow speed to remove the paint. I can't depend on some shops to go out of their way in order to perform over and beyond their call of duty to remove casting flaws, we did the same on my Th 400, so we are good at it, trust us. I elected to service the Block and we have pulled the freeze plugs, only. On the exterior of the block, we removed most of the paint. We will clean the Block tomorrow with Dawn soap and a soft brush, in order that we may obtain our own set of gauge readings and precise measurements, ones that I can record in my own book, as I have been doing for the last ten years.

For example, look what happened when I brought the Heads to the shop and the machinist said that he would cut the exhaust seat bosses back to the proper size, then changed his mind and just installed a better seal over them.

When this Block goes to the shop, I will ask him to Magnaflux it and depending and depending of the outcome and if the Block is usable, we will let the shop go to work on it. I would have the Cam Bearings removed, inspect the Cam and Crank alignment in the Block, shave the Deck, and whatever they recommend.

I will bring the Pistons in on their Rods, along with the Cam and Crank to be inspected.

Once I get that report/information from them, then I will post the prognosis and we can talk about it from there.

Thank you all for your help, just to recap, this is either going to be a light build or if it needs to be Bored over, I just as well make it into a stroker SD clone. I will let the same shop build it as long as I get a warrantee for one to three years, if they will. It will come home as a short Block in a Bag. I have no doubt that I can build a motor, just not this one. It is one (1967 428 ci "special equipment" HO YK code) of 1035 ever made.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-03-2024 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:25 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
So, after 10 pages and 200 posts, with lots of incoherent rambling, irrelevant or incorrect data and argumentative responses to really good expert advice here you are. It sounds like you're finally saying you'll hand it over to a pro but something tells me this is not over yet.
Mikes reply:

"Not until the fat lady sings", certainly I need to get this to a qualified shop for the prognosis, then I can make an intelligent decision, "to build or not to build that is the Question", and into what...

Old 02-03-2024, 04:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
Your measurements mean nothing and nobody in their right mind cares about them. You need to look forward and forget what that moonshiner did to ruin your engine. Let the pros take care of the engine and be done with it before it´s trash. It´s the only way to ever have a proper functional engine. You can dream as much as you want. but an engine builder you will never be, this you have shown over and over again.
Mikes Reply:

Thanks for that vote of confidence, the fact that I rebuilt a TH 400 successfully aside, not to forget the five Engines that I was involved with over the years, in different ways, means nothing. I say, I can build an engine from scratch, I am conceding to the fact that this one has too much inherent value to even attempt and fail.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:49 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Suggestion: Do not "practice" on an engine you care about. Head to the Treasure Yard, buy some craptastic core--Chevy, Ford...whatever you can get cheap. "Practice" on a sacrificial engine that you can screw-up and not shed tears over.

Saw the note on one posted photo about reusing a 3-hour-old head gasket. Woof. The gasket has been crushed; reuse is NOT recommended.
Mikes reply:

Butler sold me the Head gasket and on it states reuseable, now that It comes up Butler also said that they don't recommend it either.

I have to ask, @ a cost of $75.00 a set and a racer is at the track and he pulls the Heads for any reason, but he has no more Head gaskets and can't find one, in the time for the next run, He remembers that he read on the package, that the Head gasket is reusable, is he going to use this Head gasket and Torque it down an extra 5-10 lbs or is he going to quit the race?

Old 02-03-2024, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I once had a patron come in the bar, acting very strange, I told them ... "I don't know what prescription you've been given ... but you are either taking too much, or, not enough"

The patron then went totally berserk, but that's another story.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have just read in the book that I recently bought, don't sand blast the inside of the motor, that media or other media can be stuck in the pours and low areas of the cast metal, then released into the oil and consequentially into the motor.

So despite being told by others here not to sandblast, you didn’t decide not to until you read it in a book?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project

Last edited by grivera; 02-03-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
So despite being told by others here not to sandblast, you didn’t decide not to until you read it in a book?
Mikes Reply:

Only that what was said is confirmed, please don't twist my words.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I didn’t twist your words, it’s what you posted. Perhaps it’s not what you intended to convey but you wrote you read it in the book so decided not to do it. Your post didn’t give credit to those who already informed you it was ill advised.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 02-03-2024, 11:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Mikes reply:

"Not until the fat lady sings"
https://youtube.com/shorts/YK2SJ2gLr...syYhTqZoIO3CQr

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 02-03-2024, 11:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Mikes reply;

I opened the door to that one, very funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_ain...fat_lady_sings

Closed Thread