Old 06-26-2023, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just asked my cousin (has a 71 TA with a power release trunk);
He’s out of town right now, but his recollection is that the button on his car is yellow.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-26-2023, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 One year only parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
can anyone who has (or had) a ‘70 with a power release trunk share the colour?

Can anyone clarify when the colour changed?

I believe it’s inclusion on this list suggests that the colour changed for 1971.

My car has very few options, and I have learned from this continued discussion.

I have an original low mile 1971 Trans Am and the power trunk release button is green. The car is a 05B dated Norwood build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Judge For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2023, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ok, so this begs the question;
Were there blue buttons used for the trunk release in "1970+" Firebirds?

When was the change from green to yellow?

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-26-2023, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Blue buttons....no

Over the years some folks have ask for in orders or mentioned on boards a GREEN release button (the actual med green color) when the actual color is the slight greenish turquoise color.

For the different GM divisions in the late 60's through early 70's each division still had a lot of autonomy, & each division sourced their own trunk release buttons. This was ESP true for '70 & 71 models.

From decade after decade after decade of pulling & offering desirable parts & chasing specialty core parts, rescuing cars, dragging in partscars, & examining in collections many fine GM musclecars of the era, there are at least 5 different style small diameter trunk buttons. All used basically the same recessed center tip button.

Buick : '70 model & have pulled several from '71's. Black housing, Red button... to me has been one of the tougher to find versions.

Chevrolet: 1970, black housing, med green, have pulled near a dozen, all from Caprices & MonteCarlos. Have yet to pull an original one from a '70 or 71 Chevelle or Camaro but have examined highly detailed original cars with them. There were also over the counter Chevrolet accessory pkg's sold with this color of button, as I've owned & sold two such pkgs & have examined several more.

Olds: the flat chrome plated rectangular plastic postage stamp size switches, embossed trunk release, black button. Though different design outer area, the black button is same size. Not an easy button to remove for the newbie in yards. Solved that problem in the mid 80's.

PONTIAC : confirmed on many very original '70 Pontiacs, all body lines.
Dk greenish turquoisish color, used up into mid 74 model year. Been pulling & stocking trunk release options of this style since 1982. Dairable options are one of the segments that I loaded up on decades ago when it was like a kid in a candy store. During major boneyard trips with tight time lines, often I just pulled the original switch, the clips, & either one piece or two piece trunk release in the back. On '71- mid 74 Pontiac big cars, normally just pulled the buttons & clips. The '71-76 big Pontiac trunk release is a very slow seller. In yard visits with time to burn, have pulled jumper harnesses & main line harnesses.

"Corporate button"
Small diameter yellow button (common as dirt).
Was avail at local GM dealers forever. Included in many accessory pkg trunk release kits. National catalogue joints like Year1 offered these buttons for sale for over 20 years. Not used on original '67-72 A-body's, F-body's etc. Original use was mid '74 through at least '80 models. Eventually the larger diam yellow buttons began to go in every thing GM from the 80's-90's GM crusherbait years.

The mystery button. Small diameter with black button. Outer round housing is chrome plated plastic. Same exact button as most above.

First style GM electric trunk release button... the black long bubble style button that the outer hsg is threaded & requires jamb nuts or a cup shaped protective shroud type housing like used in '69 GP consoles. On several other late '60's GM, used w/o a shroud.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 06-26-2023 at 12:52 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you for the very clear answer!
I will remember to remove this from a "1970 only" part, to maybe an 'honourable mention' incase anyone asks about it AFTER reading the thread

Old 06-26-2023, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Over the years some folks have ask for in orders or mentioned on boards a GREEN release button (the actual med green color) when the actual color is the slight greenish turquoise color.

For the different GM divisions in the late 60's through early 70's each division still had a lot of autonomy, & each division sourced their own trunk release buttons. This was ESP true for '70 & 71 models.

From decade after decade after decade of pulling & offering desirable parts & chasing specialty core parts, rescuing cars, dragging in partscars, & examining in collections many fine GM musclecars of the era, there are at least 5 different style small diameter trunk buttons. All used basically the same recessed center tip button.

Buick : '70 model & have pulled several from '71's. Black housing, Red button... to me has been one of the tougher to find versions.

Chevrolet: 1970, black housing, med green, have pulled near a dozen, all from Caprices & MonteCarlos. Have yet to pull an original one from a '70 or 71 Chevelle or Camaro but have examined highly detailed original cars with them. There were also over the counter Chevrolet accessory pkg's sold with this color of button, as I've owned & sold two such pkgs & have examined several more.

Olds: the flat chrome plated rectangular plastic postage stamp size switches, embossed trunk release, black button. Though different design outer area, the black button is same size. Not an easy button to remove for the newbie in yards. Solved that problem in the mid 80's.

PONTIAC : confirmed on many very original '70 Pontiacs, all body lines.
Dk greenish turquoisish color, used up into mid 74 model year. Been pulling & stocking trunk release options of this style since 1982. Dairable options are one of the segments that I loaded up on decades ago when it was like a kid in a candy store. During major boneyard trips with tight time lines, often I just pulled the original switch, the clips, & either one piece or two piece trunk release in the back. On '71- mid 74 Pontiac big cars, normally just pulled the buttons & clips. The '71-76 big Pontiac trunk release is a very slow seller. In yard visits with time to burn, have pulled jumper harnesses & main line harnesses.

"Corporate button"
Small diameter yellow button (common as dirt).
Was avail at local GM dealers forever. Included in many accessory pkg trunk release kits. National catalogue joints like Year1 offered these buttons for sale for over 20 years. Not used on original '67-72 A-body's, F-body's etc. Original use was mid '74 through at least '80 models. Eventually the larger diam yellow buttons began to go in every thing GM from the 80's-90's GM crusherbait years.

The mystery button. Small diameter with black button. Outer round housing is chrome plated plastic. Same exact button as most above.

First style GM electric trunk release button... the black long bubble style button that the outer hsg is threaded & requires jamb nuts or a cup shaped protective shroud type housing like used in '69 GP consoles. On several other late '60's GM, used w/o a shroud.

Hmmm... https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=727640

Old 06-26-2023, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that last link was awesome! - it even gave a picture!

I have been slowly picking at an updated comprehensive list, and looking for already hosted images to link for the updated post;
This item has been moved to 'honorable mention' status.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
can anyone who has (or had) a ‘70 with a power release trunk share the colour?

Can anyone clarify when the colour changed?

I believe it’s inclusion on this list suggests that the colour changed for 1971.

My car has very few options, and I have learned from this continued discussion.
Green switch.through 72.. part of 73 anyway.< have had originals in the car, as well as Dealer Kits from that era in my hands) Long black ground wire runs to trunk. Have had a few. Also, the trunk release used in 1970 is NOT the trunk release mechanism generally seen on a second gen car. So, yeah, the part in the trunk is a 1 year only part, If factory installed. Its Rare in a Bird.
If you had a dealer install one in 71, Green button, newer style release mechanism in trunk.

Last edited by Formulabruce; 06-26-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

None of the original greenish turquoise buttons that I have appear that blue.
Have the original dash assembly out of an Oct 69 Baltimore built GTO awaiting trip to Al Knoch. Its button is same shade as the original button in my HO T-37 Coupe built 14 months later. The latter is a 31 option car & the harness & button are the same that was in the car 33 years ago when it came up from Texas.

Several years ago strategically cut up a rustfree April 71 Atlanta built GrandPrix. Had a bad frame from a prev front end wreck. It still has its original greenish turquoise trunk release button in the console box. After I pulled that GP's rebuilt YS engine, I had to jump the console mounted switch connection with a battery to pop the trunk. Back decades ago I hauled 9.6 Makita tools. a fully charged 9.6 Makita battery would normally pop a trunklid the same way.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 06-26-2023 at 06:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2023, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Green switch.through 72.. part of 73 anyway.< have had originals in the car, as well as Dealer Kits from that era in my hands) Long black ground wire runs to trunk. Have had a few. Also, the trunk release used in 1970 is NOT the trunk release mechanism generally seen on a second gen car.
Have pulled many greenish turquoise small buttons out of late '73 & early 74 Grand Prixs, Grand Ams, & Pontiac B series. The mid 74 model changeover is what I ran across many years beating down the weeds & opening pass doors on Bonnevilles & Grandvilles. Loaded out '74 Firebirds can't remember running across many.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC the change over most see is in more luxurious cars. That said, the new yellow button that showed up in those cars is bigger..

Old 06-27-2023, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's END the " Blue" " mystery " . The " blue" pic in the other thread posted by Greggggg is clearly a painted switch and clearly matches the blue paint on that section of dash that the green switch is in.
I am positive Gregg didn't paint that as his OCD would be acting up!!
I can say from my experience that I never saw a Pontiac Dealer kit for a f body dated from 71 and up to have a Green button. This does Not conflict with OPH . We installed a bunch, and when we didn't have a F body kit, we used the Bigger yellow buttons from big car kits, in Firebirds. Yes they fit fine, just make a bigger hole. Ordered the release , used our in house black ground, and a standard fuse box power lead.
The yellow small and large are far more common as OPH says.
The release is inside the glove box for Valet reasons.
Over the years many have sold open kits with miss matched parts and claim they are for a F body. Most are Not. Kits for Le Mans , Catalina, Bonney's etc were Much more common.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't gone back and reviewed the whole list,...but is the one year only Van Nuys built California emissions NA9 gas tank on there?

Old 07-22-2023, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Norwood built many Birds that were " exported" to California, with EEC . I assume they had the 3 hole gas tank too

Old 07-22-2023, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Let's END the " Blue" " mystery " . The " blue" pic in the other thread posted by Greggggg is clearly a painted switch and clearly matches the blue paint on that section of dash that the green switch is in.
I am positive Gregg didn't paint that as his OCD would be acting up!!
I can say from my experience that I never saw a Pontiac Dealer kit for a f body dated from 71 and up to have a Green button. This does Not conflict with OPH . We installed a bunch, and when we didn't have a F body kit, we used the Bigger yellow buttons from big car kits, in Firebirds. Yes they fit fine, just make a bigger hole. Ordered the release , used our in house black ground, and a standard fuse box power lead.
The yellow small and large are far more common as OPH says.
The release is inside the glove box for Valet reasons.
Over the years many have sold open kits with miss matched parts and claim they are for a F body. Most are Not. Kits for Le Mans , Catalina, Bonney's etc were Much more common.
I bought a loaded 71 TA many years ago.....from the original owner...and IIRC...it came with remote truck release...and a green button...I robbed the whole assembly....for another car....but think it is still in my stash somewhere......If I can locate...I will post...

Old 02-15-2024, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a much delayed update, I have some points with "?" which require collaboration from you all to help me explain this further.
I will seperate the sections by making them seperate posts.

Sheetmetal and/or panels:
  • A1) Quarter panels; the formed recess in the door jambs below the door striker changed some time around the begining of the 1971 model year production
    -1970-only quarter panel indentation
  • A2) Trunk extensions; with two drain plugs as opposed to one for 71-73
  • A3) Radiator core support; subtle differences in the openings & forming
    -70 core support behind 71; passenger side
    -70 core support with CA-only charcoal cannister mount
    -70 core support with CA-only stuff
  • A4) Cars with the California EES (Evaporative Emissions System), all components are one-year only, this includes the stack that protrudes through the floor behind the passenger seat.
  • A5) Hood hinges; have one-year welded support tab & paint stripe
    -1970 Firebird hood hinge
  • A6) Rear tail (pot metal vs fiberglass) panel; only installed on very early cars; part number 9813748 or 9813148
    -Pot metal rear filler panel rear
    -Pot metal rear filler part number
  • A7) Rear package tray; has long cutout for 1970-only rear (fan) defog assembly; changed to square opening for 1971.
  • A8) trunk floor pan; only installed on very early cars; has 4 drain plugs
  • A9) front inner wheel well - bottom forward metal filler panel; 1970 used 4 mounting bolts - 71+ used 2 bolts
  • A10) 1970-only rubber drain tube used on bottom of a/c box
  • A11) 1970-only trunk lock bracket
    -1970 trunk lock bracket on left
  • A12) 1970-only front bumper; 'squared' notches out of endura cover at bottom of bumper
    -1970 bumper with rubber voids
    -1971-1972 bumper w/no void
  • A13) Door glass; 7 holes; extra rear stop added for 1971 (1971+ are 8 hole)
  • A14) A-pillar bump out; Norwood and early-VN only; for door light switch;
    -1970 A pillar bump out
  • A15) rear license plate cover; retaining bolt head covered when cover in up position; possibly changed in may to an assembly which left the mounting bolt head exposed.
    -Rear license plate bracket; left is early, right late
  • A16) subframe; the most noteable difference is the welded reinforcement at the front “nose” of the cross piece; welding looks crude; there will be a date code stamped on to the drivers side rear vertical surface of the rail.
    -1970 "nose"
    -1971+ "nose"
  • A17) Rocker panel wire harness guards; this is the part that covers any wires that go to the rear of the car; these are galvanized parts which span the whole length of the door opening, and are covered by the carpet and sill plate; this guard is much longer than 1971+ parts, it starts at the firewall, and goes right back to the rear inner wheel well.
    -Wire gaurd; front section
  • A18) side window blow out clips; design slightly different from latter ones
    -1970 Blow out clips 01
    -1970 Blow out clip 02
  • A19) Drivers side remote mirror; has no provisions to remove mirror - 1971+ mirrors can bea removed from housing.
    -1970 mirror housing
    -1971+ mirror housing

Old 02-15-2024, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exterior/trim:
  • B1) vertical windshield trim had screw holes at the bottom & one year corresponding black plastic water deflectors
    -Plastic water deflectors
  • B2) stainless roof drip edge moldings (difference?)
  • B3) stainless door edge guards; screw in type as opposed to press on type
  • B4) rear trunk lid "400" emblem (#9808505); very early part only; none currently documented as being installed on production cars, but members do recall seeing htem on cars.
    -NOS 9808505 with box
    -NOS 9808505 showing cast part number
  • B5) Front fender "Firebird" script emblem(#481544)
  • B6) Front fender "Formula 400" script emblem part #480842; the 1970 part is unique from the 1971 badge with the two forward mounting studs being placed closer together; the first stud is in between the "O" and "R", and hte second stud is behind the forward edge of the "U"; this badge is not reproduced - the 1971 badge is reproduced.
    -Bottom is 1970, top is 1971
  • B7) headlight surround trim; single small recess for screws??
  • B8) stainless side window weatherstrip channel
  • B9) Trans Am stripes for blue cars; some early cars have a "grey" dot/fade black to white stripes - created unwanted 'greying effect' quickly superseded with conventional 71-72 stripes.
  • B10) Front marker light surrounds, molded in body coloured; painted to match post-1970
  • B11) Trans Am front/center spoiler used three center mount recessed holes
  • B12) Formula w/RAIII “RAM AIR” hood decals; same style as used for 1969 model year GTO’s & Firebird 400’s, mounted on the hood scoop several inches rearward from the 1971-1974 position (the 1971-1974 decal used different style and sized script).
  • B13) Rear quarter panel to wheel well rubber filler; only observed on early cars - probably intended to deflect debris from the trunk extention much like a mud flap.
    -Rear quarter filler/flap

Old 02-15-2024, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interior:
  • C1) Front seats; low back buckets with separate headrests
    -1970 Buckets
  • C2) Front seat back power locks; optional; one year option (no picture found)
  • C3) Front seat tracks; side release; black knob for std interior; chrome knob for deluxe; it appears as though the rules of chrome versus black were not always followed.
    -black handled seat adjuster
  • C4) metal carpet clips for covering front seat track bolts; placed under seat bolt head, and wrap over top bolt to hold carpet down over bolt head.
    -Carpet clips loose
    -Carpet clips installed
  • C5) Door panels w/power windows;
    Most 1970 model year cars which had power windows did not have the opening cut in the door panel for the window crank, or the emblem to cover said hole.
    -No hole door panel
  • C6) Door latches; cast backing with plastic insert
    -Standard interior door latch w/o plastic insert
    -Deluxe interior door latch w/o plastic insert
  • C7) Lock knob; ribbed shaft with larger top compared to 1971+ knobs
    I believe that 1969 Firebirds used the same style knob in black or chorome while 1968 used a color matched knob of the same style. I believe 1967 used a dufferent type. These are not specific to Firebirds, but were only used for this single year for the second generation run. These are often absent on 1970 model year cars, and in all those cases, have been replaced with 1971+ style knobs.
    -1970 knob
  • C8) seat belts:
    a) console mounted seat (female) belt holders
    b) roof mounted shoulder (male) belt clips
    c) retractable floor mounted front lap (male) belts
    d) 1970-only shaped front seat belt washers Washers
  • C9) rear defog (fan type);
    Long thin cutout on rear package tray along with matched plastic molded vent cover (also see A7).
  • C10) simulated wood shift knob for automatic;
    Very early part only - this part is not interchangeable to shifters which were not assembled with it – the shifter arm is manufactured different.
  • C11) simulated leather shifter knob with red insert for four speed cars (with four speed shift pattern);
    Very early part only - suspected as being installed only in early built cars with deluxe interior.
    -Knob on top right
  • C12) simulated leather shifter knob with red insert for three speed cars (with no shift pattern);
    Very early part only - suspected as being installed only in early built cars with deluxe interior.
    -Knob on top left
  • C13) base/Esprit/Formula dash insert; has separate "wash" & "lights" word openings; to the untrained eye these dash inserts appear to be 1970-1972, but the wood grain pattern changed every year; Rocky Rotella has only documented the pattern used for 1972, but my observation is this:
    1970 = light 'milk chocolate' brown
    1971 = almost a bleached birchwood look
    1972 = a much deeper shade of brown from the two prior years.
    1970 dash insert on right; 1972 insert on left
  • C14) Glove box door; uses 4 rivets instead of six & has different pattern stamped in the steel (two square recesses) with no long vertical recess to accommodate suggested maintenance schedule decal;
    -1970 glove box door recesses
    -1970 glove box door rivets
    -1971 plus glove box door recesses
    -1971 plus glove box door rivets
  • C15) dash wiring harness; front/floor convenience lamps always present – accessory lamps, if not opted were not wired in starting in 1971; if accessory lamps were not opted, the wires were taped up, no bulbs installed, and placed out of sight.
  • C16) sun visors with center retaining tabs; the visors are longer than later units, and the later units do not clip into anything; the visors are being reproduced, but hte clip is currently not.
    -1970 sunvisors (shown in Camaro)
  • C17) 1970 rear armrests;
    Have no ashtrays (added in 1971), no faux stitched indentation (I believe this was a Camaro thing, and some 1971 Firebirds used them), and had smaller openings for the non retractible belts (70-72.5 only)
    -1970 rear armrest (passenger side shown)
  • C18) Clock knob; black two piece design; 1971 & later used a chrome knob with a matching chrome centre lock screw.
    -1970 clock knob (ignore the 1973 dash insert please)
  • C19) Toe pad/Scuff plate; formed on left side to wrap around emergency brake cable:
    -1970 Toe pad/Scuff Plate
    -1971+ Toe pad/Scuff Plate
  • C20) vacuum actuated heater switch (??I put this here, even though i was quite confused by it)
  • C21) 1st design (inside) rear veiw mirror; mult-piece design, known to sag, and often replaced early in car's life with 2nd design mirror.
    -1st design mirror; assembled
    -1st design mirror; parts
    -1st design mirror; TSB
    -1st design mirror; more info @ NastyZ28
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock knob.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	628656  

Old 02-15-2024, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Underhood/engine/drivetrain:
  • D1) full ratcheting hood latch
  • D2) Washer bottle cap (difference?)
  • D3) Chrome dress-up on Formula and Trans Am; chrome valve covers and oil filler cap; chrome air cleaner lid (Formula only) & metal spark plug wire retainers; this is a one year feature for the second gen Firebird, but it is shared with 1967-1969 Firebird 400’s; after 1970 it became an over the counter option only.
  • D4) brackets for alternator, power steering, & air conditioning; all unique for 1970.
  • D5) V8 cars used an “open face” alternator; internally regulated design (most 1970 model year GM vehicles used an externally regulated alternator).
  • D6) 12 bolt rear differential for Formula 400, Trans Am, & Esprit with optional L65-400 engine.
  • D7) "base" Formula air cleaner is wholly unique to 1970/Norwood cars; has no hole for fuel bowl vent tube; Some very late 1970 model year Norwood cars used an air cleaner base which was shared with Van Nuys cars, and similar to 71-72 cars, this base had a hole for the fuel bowl vent tube but was plugged for Norwwod cars; 1970 & early 1971 aircleaners had breather tube hole located 1-1/2" from flange of snorkle, later cars the opening moved further back; used one-year aircleaner decal #648898 “RM” (not currently reproduced)
    -1970 Norwood air cleaner base; no vent hole
    -1970 Van Nuys & later 70 through early 71 base w/plugged vent hole
    -1970 only RM decal
  • D8) 'L74' (RAIII) Formula air cleaners are one year only; they have spot welded locating studs and dimples to accommodate a holley 4bbl carburetor; single functional heat stove.
  • D9) 'L74' (RAIII) Trans Am air cleaner base; it seems as though many RAIII TA's received single snorkel air cleaner base for 1970; 1971 & 1972, as well as some 1970’s received dual snorkel air cleaner bases; 71-72 used a dual heat riser setup – while 1970 was only a single functional heat riser.
  • D10) "base" Formula uses vacuum canister on the firewall; bolts to firewall with two threaded bolts; all these cars also used a corresponding dual vacuum feed choke pull off on the Quadrajet.
    -https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=158306&d=1234832174]1970 Formula choke pull off[/url]
    -Vacuum canister
    -Firewall holes
  • D11) Front rad support to bumper plastic filler panel; very early part only; suspected as originally intended for automatic/AC cars only
  • D12) power steering pump & hoses; older style pump; the pump style change for 1971; both high & low pressure power steering hoses w/red stripe are unique parts matched to this power steering pump
  • D13) oversize (long) yolk on driveshaft
  • D14) Gas caps are one year only (both regular and EEC)
    -49 state vented gas cap; top
    -49 state vented gas cap; bottom
  • D15) Front inner fender 'dust' flaps, some early 1971 cars recieved these; stapled to inner fender.
  • D16) Trans Am 'extra' ground strap inside of scoop
  • D17) stamped script on 3/4" heater hose; branded 1971+
  • D18) Quadrajet throttle arm bracket and corresponding throttle cable; for 1971 the cable and throttle arm bracket use a ball/clip design, but 1970 uses a stud with a cotter pin retainer.
  • D19) A/C 'soft' line from condenser to dryer; 1970-only part was soft/hard - latter was all hard line
  • D20) one year water pump (casting number 9799124)
    -1970 only water pump
  • D21) Pullies; water pump & power steering pump
  • D22) RAIII exhaust manifolds; one year casting numbers (see casting numbers to follow)

Old 02-15-2024, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1970 & 1971-only parts:
  • E1) Exhaust extensions; 22 degree cut instead of the 71-73 & 74-75 (?)45 degree cut
  • E2) Formula hoods don't have metal bracing on sides
  • E3) Oversized 'black ball' shifter knob with shift pattern; for both three speed (#?) and four speed cars (#?); used for 1970 and early 1971 cars.
  • E4) Front bumper; 1970 & 1971 Esprit & Formula have holes to mount the emblem
  • E5) Front bumper emblem (#?); standard on Esprit & Formula; 1970-1971 part; reproduction now available, but the "island" infront of the birds beak has been eliminated
  • E6) Trans Am dash insert; has separate "wash" & "lights" word openings; the insert was 1970-1972, but only 1970 and some 1971 cars received chrome gauge surround rings
  • E7) RPO 'M13' 'Heavy duty' Muncie 330 three speed manual transmission; for 1970 std on Formula & optional on Esprit w/L30; For 1971 ‘base’ transmission for Formula 400 & 455HO models, optional on Esprit & Formula L30 cars; transmission, and linkage shared with GTO, but shifter is wholly specific; RPO code M13 for 1970 & 1971 Firebirds – will not show up on window sticker for 1970 Formula.
  • E8) Manual transmission (3 & 4 speed) chrome shifter stick w/o console (#7945); used only for 1970 & 1971; some non-console cars were assembled with the wrong Camaro sitck (#7433), while others recived the Firebird-console stick (#7244), starting in 1972, and through to 1978 the only stick used was the "console (#7244) stick.
  • E9) Door panels; full height cardboard backed panel with vinyl wrapped arm rest; some early cars with power windows did not have the window crank opening cut (or the emblem installed)
    -1970 door panel w/o window crank cover
  • E10) Glove box tire pressure labels; the ‘KN’ tire pressure label used for F78-14/F70-14, & F60-15 cars was unique to 1970, and some early 1971 model year cars; the decal was changed in 1971; the most noteable difference was the removal of “Firebird” at the top/centre, which was replaced with “482399 REV. 1”; Tire pressure decal 'KM' used for base and Esprit models, while Formulas and Trans Am used 'KN'.
  • E11) Heater control lens for non-AC cars; should say "DE-ICE"; 1972+ say "DEFROST"
  • E12) V8-4bbl fuel pump; original assembly #6440838, stamped #40838; the service replacement part and part used on late 1971 cars would be assembly #6440959, stamped #40959;
    1970/1971 pump on left; 1972+ on right