Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wanted new timing belt or source

I need a new timing belt for my build does anybody have one or a source cloyed had discontinued them

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 08-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

222-11 SEALED POWER
TB-011 DYNAGEAR & WOLVERINE
B-011 MELLING
BO 11 CLOYES
LB11 TRW
R 011 REPUBLIC
TB11 CLEVITE

If you can't cross any of these LMK.
I know I have some.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i think i have a brand new one that came with my 68 tempest..i will check

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

everyone better stock up on spares if they are drying up

Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Hello All

For what it's worth.

Pontiac put the OHC 6 timing belt through HELL in their testing, once they figured out the alternate wrap on the fiberglass cords in the belt, they never had a failure even after 200,000 miles of testing per anything I have seen, I have never heard of anyone that has had one go bad either.

Chime in if you have ever seen a failure of the timing belt.

I have seen them totally soaked with oil and still going strong.

The engine was designed as a non interference engine, meaning that if the belt breaks or comes off, the pistons will "NOT" hit the valves, that is unless the engine has pistons installed without the correct valve relief's in them, i.e., 283 Chevy pistons, etc.

Pontiac had it figured out right on the OHC 6, Just a simple routing, no back flips in its routing, no idlers or tensioners like today's engines, almost ALL of the engines of today go for an easy 100,000 miles PLUS, with all that flexing around the components, with no problems.

That is "IF THE TIMING BELT AND ENGINE HAS BEEN PROPERLY MAINTAINED" and the belt tension was kept adjusted correctly, and baring any component failures that would cause the belt to fail pre-maturely.

I think that the higher quality of belt manufacturing of today is much greater that in 65, and if you do change your belt, you should probably never have to change it again.

I guess if you are worried about it then you can change it, or at least put an old one in the trunk for piece of mind.

I do admit that if you DO have to change it on the road, it would be troublesome for sure.

Just my .02 cents

Take Care,

Dusty

Last edited by BMFH; 08-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once wiped a cam and the belt never broke, tore off half dozen or so cogs but the belt was still in one piece

Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Hello All

I seem to remember that the cam and all it's component exhibiting their load on the belt is something like 360 pounds of pull, the belt is rated at about 3600 pounds of tinsel strength.

So, it is rated in the over Engineered category in my opinion, but it was the first engine to use the timing belt on a production engine and a first of it's kind, and the engineers wanted it to NOT be any problem on the engine, and I think that is a GOOD THING.

Even with the over engineering factor, people were afraid of that rubber band that was used to drive everything. I guess people don't like to see change from what is the norm and that probably lead to the poor or slow acceptance of the new technology.

Thank You, Mac McKellar and your team of engineers, Well Done.

Take Care,

Dusty

Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Senior Chief

Running the original belt on mine as far as I know, I only have 85,000 on it, I guess I got a few miles to go. I'll let you know when it lets go. I believe the car was built in Oct of 68. I do drive it almost everyday for errands when it nice. She smokes a little on start up but after 43 years she's allowed. I have three OHC's let me know if you find where I could get a spare.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Hello All

Just for grins and giggles, I called a local engine rebuilder for a timing belt for the ol'e OHC 6.

He had one in his Big Warehouse offsite, said he could get it that same day.

The manufacturer is Federal Mogul and the Part Number is 222-12 for those of you that still want to try and get one to have on hand.

I guess I should add, If you are going to HOT ROD the ol'e OHC 6 then a new belt might be in Order as a safety measure, it is better to error on the side of caution I guess, lots of money at stake with expensive race parts that are hard to get in the first place.

Might be made in China, but, so are allot of the things around us today. I have no doubt that there is only 1 manufacturer for the belt, they just put everyone's part number on it and put them in their own box's for them, but anyhow it is a NEW BELT.

Every belt I have ever seen for the past 30 years never said made in the U.S.A., other than maybe the OEM belt made by Uni-Royal.

Hope this helps,

Dusty

P.S.

If and when you do change the timing belt, make SURE that you change the gaskets on the accessory housing where it bolts to the block. They are usually stuck on pretty good, you will have to remove it to clean off the gasket on it and the block. Trying to move the accessory housing without changing the gasket will probably cause the gasket to break/tear and you will have a major oil leak, or worse you will loose oil pressure internally for the engine, with only 35 PSI to start with, loosing any oil pressure could be destructive to the engine assy. Make sure you have the 2 new gaskets on hand before attempting a changing of the belt.

Last edited by BMFH; 08-14-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.kanter.com///productdetai...Cat=32&Prc=371

Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered 2 from kanter today took 2 tries called the first time got someone on the phone asked them for a timing belt for a 68 sprint ans was told they don't sell them looked it up online and called back with the number and had no problem I am curious to see what they send

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM

Hello All

66-69 are all the same, don't know why they can't figure that out and put it on their site.

I tried for other years too just to check it out and got nothing also.

At least the price is reasonable, not jacked up because of it's rarity.

Did you notice that they have Cams, 1 barrel and 4 barrel too, supposed to be new stock on the E cams I guess.

Take Care,

Dusty

Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 AM

Hello All

Went ahead and ordered the timing belt from the engine rebuilder just to have a new one for an engine that I am building that is going to be an interferance engine, thought that I shoud start with a new belt.

The rebuilder wearhouse sent a timing belt for a GM 2.4L, 4 cylinder, not the OHC 6 engine, had them call the wearhouse and get the right one, wearhouse said that they are Obsolete and nothing is available

Looks like Kanter is the source for the time being, the price is a little high, but I guess that is to be expected with an obslolet item.

Sorry about miss leading as to the availability of the belt, the 222-12 is the WRONG PART NUMBER, should be 222-11, same as the sealed power belt.

Take Care,

Dusty

Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default more expensive

http://www.egge.com

B011 - TIMING BELT

Part Name: TIMING BELT
Part Number: B011

$50.95
Kit #

Name

PO230M66-67W/1BRL
1966-67 PONTIAC 230 OHC, W/1 BRL CARB. 6 CYLINDER

PO230M66-67W/4BRL
1966-67 PONTIAC, PONTIAC 230 OHC, W/4 BRL CARB. 6 CYLINDER

PO250MOHCW/1BRL
1968-69 PONTIAC, MODEL W/1 BRL CARB, 250, OHC, 6 CYLINDER

PO250MOHCW/4BBRL
1968-69 PONTIAC, MODEL W/4 BRL CARB, 250, OHC, 6 CYLINDER

Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The one broken cammer timing I have seen was in a 66 Sprint that had a piston wedged in the bottom of the bore and the rod bent into a 7. Sudden and catastrphic I am sure. I 'll post a pic of the piston and rod in a bit.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is the sudden and catastrophic failure that broke the timing belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9203.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	294657  

Old 08-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Guys, I would check with McMaster-Carr for our belts. I am sure one could find a suitable replacement these engines there.