Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fuel tank vent hose - does this look right?

Hello,

I bought a reproduction vent hose for the front passenger side of the tank. It is supposed to clamp against the front of the gas tank brace, and has a foam insert at the top.

The one I received has a piece of foam that is barely held into the hose, in fact the staple that is supposed to hold it is place barely touches it. I blew through the hose and the foam piece fell out.

I can't imagine this is a correct reproduction? Anyone know if this is right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210412_215307.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	564660   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210412_215339.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	564661  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 04-14-2021, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The vent hose should have a fuel slosh restrictor at upper end.
IIRC i just pushed a bit of a smaller hose into the 1/2" vent hose for a restrictor on my Judge.
I canīt imagine the foam in yours would survive for long.
BTW, i found the part-# for the original restrictor is 398339.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 04-14-2021, 04:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The chunk of foam with a staple is correct, at least for early 1970 Fremont-built GTO

Right after I bought my first 1970 Judge (~1977), I noticed a drip at the front passenger's side of the fuel tank when the tank was filled to the very top.

I figured that the tank was leaking, so my dad and I jacked it up and crawled underneath, only to discover that the vent hose had a tiny (~1/8" long) split and was leaking.

When we replaced it, we put the original foam piece into the new hose, along with the original staple to keep it from popping out. I recall that the staple went into the hose from the side and probably stuck about 1/2 way through the foam.

It's still on there now. When I have a reason to be under there again, I'll pull it off and get some pics. It's still definitely the original foam and staple, just slightly newer hose.

I also recall that we had to lower the fuel tank slightly to get a pair of pliers onto the pinch clamp that held the hose on. The ears were pointing straight up and were tight against the trunk floor.

That Judge was built in October 1969 at Fremont, CA.

I've changed out several of the vent hoses on other GTOs since then and a couple had the foam insert. Many had nothing - the vent hose had probably already been swapped out once before I got them.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the foam, my concern is not that "it's foam", my concern is that the foam does not seal the ID of the hose. Based on pics of the item before I bought it, I was expecting the foam to be like a breather, and not loose which would allow fuel to spew out around it.

If the foam is supposed to fit snugly in the hose, the manufacturer has failed...I have some similar foam I can install myself and move on. I have not yet contacted the manufacturer (Inline Tube) as I was waiting to see the responses here first.

Thanks

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 04-16-2021, 08:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I vaquely remember the foam not being tight in the hose - thus the staple to retain.

I've never looked inside the tank, but I'd bet there is some kind of baffling to keep the fuel away from the vent tube itself.

And, again as I recall from DECADES ago, the top of the vent hose is about 4 or 5" above the top of the fuel tank, so you would need a LOT of G-force to get fuel up high enough to 'slosh out'.

I guess you could always stick in inline fuel filter in the top of the hose to keep any 'slosh' contained. But that would probably be overkill.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joe's Garage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 09:32 PM

Default Fuel Vent Filter

Just go get a lawnmower foam filter element(usually a light green color) and cut it close to the size you need and press in and reinsert the staple. You now have dust protection and a filter that can withstand fuel vapors. Repos are not always the greatest unfortunately. Paul

The Following User Says Thank You to GTO.PAUL For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Made a new foam plug, cut it out of a foam filter by taking a 3/4" hole saw and ran it backwards (pilot drill removed).

Inserted it in the hose and pushed staple back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_094917.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	564966   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_094952.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	564967  

Old 04-18-2021, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Looks great!

Congratulations!

You are now in the reproduction auto parts business!

Old 04-19-2021, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
Congratulations!

You are now in the reproduction auto parts business!
LOL

Old 04-21-2021, 01:59 AM

Talking Vent

Looks great!