THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:09 AM

Default Engine of dreams

How much would you spend on a Ram Air IV SR engine complete carb to pan??

Old 04-17-2021, 12:33 PM
Suspended

I'd say around 7K if it is NOS and just needed gas to fire it up.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:21 PM

Really? That low? Aren’t heads going for $4000?

Old 04-17-2021, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTO View Post
Probably would need more information to give an honest number to this fishing expedition. A Ram Air IV SR engine complete? How complete? Does it have the exhaust manifolds? Were original intake manifold, distributor, accessories bolted to a SR block? Or is the entire assembly SR? Does it have the original Ram Air IV Q-jet?, or a SR Q-Jet? or just a Q-Jet? All these things have an effect on the value to a high degree. Also you didn't mention if this engine is a USED SR engine or an NOS SR engine. Of course that would have a huge effect on value. From a practical standpoint, having owned, worked with and raced Ram Air III, IV, HO and SD engines, it's mostly about how they are tuned and cared for that determines their performance. Certainly the 4 HP rated bump between a Ram Air III and Ram Air IV is a fantasy, IMO, A stock Ram Air IV does not have 75 to 100 + more HP as sometimes spouted in the magazines. It's an honest 25-30 HP bump, not the holy grail most lucky enough to own one like to think. The bump in the car's value is much greater than the decrease in quarter mile times.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ebay potential might be higher than the "what would you PY'ers pay for a RAIV" as described

I would guess a complete unused top to bottom IV would go for 10K easily in todays crazy $ market. Might go for more if a couple bidders really want it. 15K wouldn't astound me.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:56 PM

The block is SR, every other part is original RA IV equipment from 69’

Has literally every part, carb, intake, heads, ex manifolds, dist, pistons, cam, crankshaft, oil pan, even a lower pan and air filter.

Was a running motor, car got killed, wrapped around a pole... this was many moons ago, but the engine hasn’t been opened since pulled.

I have an original ’69 Judge RA IV car. Would like to make it complete!

Old 04-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen 400 4-bolt SR blocks dated into the early and mid-1970s. I think I still have a 4-bolt SR block with a 1973 cast date. The same goes for the heads and carbs. Original 1970 dated parts are worth far more than SR parts. The original Ram IV heads had no casting date visible. The date was under the valve covers and was partially machined away. Later over the counter Ram IV heads have a casting date in the normal location. And an Ram IV carb with a 1970 production model date is worth far more than a SR carb with a later date. It is definitely a valuable engine, but to bring maximum dollars the dates would all need to match up with a production car.

Mike

Old 04-17-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you looking to buy it? Your description makes it sound like you can add gas and fire it right up, but I think that's a BIG assumption. There are probably a few engines at the bottom of the ocean that were "Running when pulled."

Old 04-17-2021, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it sounds like YOU are the guy this seller is looking for! How much should you pay? I will leave that to the experts. But plan on a complete disassembly and refurbishing of the engine if you intend to do more than drive it into and off a trailer. To run properly and provide fun and reliability, any engine that has been sitting around for 50+ years will need rings, valve springs, gaskets and seals at a bare minimum to really run properly. Good luck with your potential purchase.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Real-world prices on RAIV parts

While not quite as valuable as an original 1969 RAIV block, the SR blocks have considerable value. ESPECIALLY if they have 1968-9 date codes and more especially if they have the complete, AS-CAST, 9792506 casting number.

Using known sale prices over the past few years, I’d calculate it is worth a LOT more than $7k. Probably more like DOUBLE that to the right guy.

PYers are notoriously frugal…..

SR block $4500
Heads $4000
Rockers, pushrods, RAIV specific deflector parts $350
Intake w/crossover $2000
Exhausts $500
Distributor $2500
Carb $3000
Air pan $1500
Crank and rods $300
Camshaft $150
Oil pan and timing cover $200
Balancer and pulleys $200
Valve covers and PCV tube to air cleaner $200

Being able to get it all-at-once in one package would be a plus.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM

I’m admittedly fugal as well. That made me laugh tho!

Old 04-17-2021, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PY'rs purchase for $5.00 bucks and sell for $1 million

Old 04-17-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not just PYers are frugal, I worked at a Pontiac dealer back in 1970, the year I graduated from HS. I also specialized in Pontiacs when I owned my own garage and service station. Pontiac owners as a whole are frugal, always have been since I have been around them. My father and grandfather also worked at the local Pontiac dealer back in the late 30s, they both said the same thing, but frugal wasn't the exact adjective they used.....LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My father who owned five different Pontiacs while I was a child was definitely cheap. All of them were bare bones except the OHC Firebird with the Q-jet and four speed.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$7,100 for me. Pass it on.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTO View Post
Wouldn't be interested. Into the earlier (pre '68) cars. Always have been. Never been real keen on all matching numbers, either. Just like driving them.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

10-15000 if compete and correct

Old 04-18-2021, 03:21 PM

Anyone thinking they’re going to pick up a complete RAIV engine for less than around 20K is dreaming.

Highly desirable and rare equals high priced, these engines belong in cars that are also rare and pricey. Anything equipped with a top performance engine option from the muscle car era brings top dollar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Anyone thinking they’re going to pick up a complete RAIV engine for less than around 20K is dreaming.

Highly desirable and rare equals high priced, these engines belong in cars that are also rare and pricey. Anything equipped with a top performance engine option from the muscle car era brings top dollar.
To the right buyer, with the right size bank account, and the right car that needs it, you could be absolutely right! This is where "worth" and "value" have vastly different meanings. A seller could float it out there for 60-80K and be sitting on it for 20 years, or some rich tycoon with way more money than sense may shoot the cash to his PayPal in half an hour. Never really know. Only thing for sure is I am never on the plus side of any transaction like this. If I owned that engine, I would be getting $800.00 offers all day and a laundry list of why it really isn't even worth that much.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 01:10 PM

It' will be hard to find a date correct RA IV non SR in nice shape. I've been looking for years for the matching #'s 70 RA IV GTO that my XP motor came out of. This one is rarer then my WW 70 GTO, it's a XP (around 140 produced) all complete with rebuild with all OE parts minus the carb, I even have the #'s matching tranny. I was offered $12,500 years ago and wouldn't take it. Maybe I'll find the car or a 70 deserving of this combo. For those not familiar with a RA IV, they have a unique sound and rumble that makes one smile and will pull some RPM's. I believe B Man is right on spot with his estimate. As to who buys one mgarblik is on spot too.