Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '64 RUBBER HOSE ID

These items have been around the block several times even since I've been lucky enough to enjoy this form. I need a consensus.
5/16 fuel hose. GAS GAS or no?
5/8 heater hose: inverted ribs or GM+box logo?
3/4 heater hose: inverted ribs or GM+box logo?
I know we all aren't going to agree, just like one big, happy family!!
In advance, THANKS, bill

Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
These items have been around the block several times even since I've been lucky enough to enjoy this form. I need a consensus.
5/16 fuel hose. GAS GAS or no?
Yes, but I thought the gas gas hose was 3/8" (for the PCV valve to the "F" fitting anyway. "F" fitting to intake is smaller diameter, may be 5/16".

Quote:
5/8 heater hose: inverted ribs or GM+box logo?
Both

Quote:
3/4 heater hose: inverted ribs or GM+box logo?
Both

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 12-01-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chad, What do you mean by both? Either one OR both on the same hose???

Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This 64 Catalina has ribbed hose with the GM box logo on both sizes of hose. I've posted this picture a few times before, but it is the clearest evidence that it (ribbed with GM box logo) existed. There were multiple approved vendors for heater hose and not all cars/plants got the same hose. I think the pattern or number of ribs may have been used to identify the manufacturer of the hose.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The early 63-64 magazines are still the best way to id many items. Car life June 1964 gets you the GM square and the ribs on GTO heater hoses. Other magazines show no logo and only ribs, but many different upper radiator hose marking designs. This magazine also shows the OK-5 on the head, not v-cover. Great pics of an unmolested vac trips and black uncurved tipped Fan. Probably the 18 inch but no shroud. About 30 such mags exit that need study.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, the illustration for the tripower in the MPC says the PVC lines are 9/32" from intake to F connector and 21/64" from F connector to PCV valve.

The fuel hose is 21/64" from pump to filter and fuel pipe to filter.

In all cases, I believe they mean ID of hose, although only the hose from F connector to PCV valve actually shows "ID" in the description.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Close enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
FWIW, the illustration for the tripower in the MPC says the PVC lines are 9/32" from intake to F connector and 21/64" from F connector to PCV valve.

The fuel hose is 21/64" from pump to filter and fuel pipe to filter.

In all cases, I believe they mean ID of hose, although only the hose from F connector to PCV valve actually shows "ID" in the description.
The G A S hose was used on the early Tempest series cars (GTO's) for interconnecting the rigid fuel pipes/lines, fuel filters, fuel pumps, Etc. It was also used from the PCV valve to the plastic connectors (F style, etc.) and then to the manifold. All these lines, fuel filters, connectors etc. are basically 5/16'' I.D. which is about a 32nd or 64th off the above MPC numbers.
As for the heater hose - It seems the 64's had the GM+Box printed on the ribbed hose as seen in the old test car articles from the 60's and on True Survivor cars like the Catalina above. Not sure about 65's as maybe it was early verses late style of hose used, but I'm quite sure 66 and 67 heater hose only had the 3 ribs (pair and single line) without the GM info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64 4BBL. August 64 Car Craft.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	265619   Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Tri-Power June 64 CAR LIFE.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	265620   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Tri-Power Oct. 66 Speed and Supercar.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	265621   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Tri-Power Mar. 66 Hi-Performance CARS.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	265622   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 GTO YR Engine Bay OEM Hose.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	265623  

Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are samples of original PCV hose from a 64 Pontiac V8. The small sample went from the F connector to the intake. It has yellow print and an impression from when it was printed. The PCV hose has white print and no impression.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

60`s stuff was able to get the Car Life june 64 article up. (2nd pic) Does anyone see a rear alternator strap?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by War eagle View Post
60`s stuff was able to get the Car Life june 64 article up. (2nd pic) Does anyone see a rear alternator strap?
Without PS there would only be one alternator strap as in the photo.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I think thats correct but the 64 MPC is showing a rear brace and appears to be just a doubler of the front. This illustration is for the alternator mounting with A/C. and mentions with and without trips.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

don't mean to move off subject.looking at post #7 second pic. note the white washer jug. Thought it was black.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If a 64 had AC and no power steering, the alternator mounted on the same bracket as if it would have power steering (545313). The front strap is the same for any 64 V8 with PS or AC. The rear strap (with PS) is the same for 2bbl and 4bbl with 3/2 being unique.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I noticed the white jug also. I just went and looked at some things on my dads unrestored 66. It still has what i believe to be the orig. 3/4 heater hose and clamps. The hose is ribbed with the ribs facing down toward the frame. I cannot find any GM stamping or any other stamp or ink marks.

I did notice that the 5/8 molded hose does have what looks to be some sort of cloth tape wrapped around its whole length. Not sure if this is a replacement hose or what?
I know 66 may not be the same as 64 but thought it might add to the discussion.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My May 64 KC car has what I believe to be an original white jug. The car was apart when I rescued it though. I'm putting a white jug back on it.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 AM

The white opaque jug was used on the '64's. I believe the use of the black jugs began in 1965.
The PCV hose did have the GAS repeated the length of the hose.
I also believe that different hose vendors were used. The most common heater hoses that I have seen are those with multiple ribs tight together, forming 4 rises and 3 valleys. These hoses have the ~7/32 in. wide tracer line running the length of the hose. I have yet to see an 'original' hose of this design with the GM Square. It appears that the hose I just described is different then the hose shown in Post No. 7, as the ribs in 7 are wider apart. Woodwheel, do the hoses shown in Post 7 have the blue tracer line?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake, on the Heater Hose, I agree, the originals had 4 ribs, 3 "valleys, but,they were not inverted, but, just the opposite, were raised. The repops are inverted, IIRC.Gas was on them,also,but,the font (printing was a bit beefier)
The OK, was on the valve covers, for all but Chrome Covers, GTO, and, on the right front head machined area. The yellow on the PCV is interesting, never have noticed that difference. I know Gates, Swan, were two of the hose vendors. Larry B.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
Jake, on the Heater Hose, I agree, the originals had 4 ribs, 3 "valleys, but,they were not inverted, but, just the opposite, were raised. The repops are inverted, IIRC.Gas was on them,also,but,the font (printing was a bit beefier)
The OK, was on the valve covers, for all but Chrome Covers, GTO, and, on the right front head machined area. The yellow on the PCV is interesting, never have noticed that difference. I know Gates, Swan, were two of the hose vendors. Larry B.
Bigpop:

Perhaps for the lack of a better term, I used 'rib' to describe the high points in the pattern that forms the ribs. I believe the two center 'ribs' are a tad taller than the the two side 'ribs' that are sort of rolled into the pattern.

I have also seen the OK installed on the nonchromed valve covers on Pontiacs. I once saw an upside down stamping on the angled front bend on a cover of a low milage LeMans, with the number looking like either a 7 or a 1. Based on the picture in Post No. 3, I am going to call it a one. This will now complete the set, as I believe I have now seen the use of all numbers between 1 and 6. Before (and still now) I had seen the potential inverted 7, I did not believe they used stamps beyond the number 6.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake, that is what I was referring to in my post. I didn't really give it a thought about
the description, re: ribs, I was hoping everyone " got the picture". It was problematic to describe this hose!!

Years ago, and I mean, years ago, the fellow that was the GTOAA President, Stan Reardon(?) had original NOS heater hose for sale in Hemmings. IIRC, he had less than 12 feet, but, the price in the mid-90s, was $80.00 per foot!!!!! yikes!!! Larry B.