Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-15-2000, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum for this question but...

I'm having a terrible hot start problem. I know I need a f**d remote solinoid to overcome this. How hard is it to install and what's the best method to keep things looking nice under the hood? TIA.

Old 06-15-2000, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum for this question but...

I'm having a terrible hot start problem. I know I need a f**d remote solinoid to overcome this. How hard is it to install and what's the best method to keep things looking nice under the hood? TIA.

Old 06-15-2000, 02:42 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

Critter,
There are several methods of installing the Ford solenoid, but we have found the easiest and simplest method is to use the Ford unit to bypass all the associated start wiring, and effectively short 12 volts directly across the Delco solenoid actuating circuit when the Ignition is in "Start". Complete instructions to do this are at this site:
http://www.cyberramp.net/~firebyrd/jhandracing19.htm

If the problem you are having is in the starter, starter wiring, or battery circuits, the Ford unit won't help. But it will assure that each time you turn the ignition to Start, full battery voltage will be applied to the Delco solenoid energizing circuit! The information at the above site will clarify the reasons for using the Ford solenoid, and also describes why our Delco units do not always actuate. The Ford unit can be located anywhere you wish, but assure it is properly grounded to a known good ground. Jim Hand

Old 06-15-2000, 04:18 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

Critter,
After years of looking at the referenced article, I finally realized that one instruction is missing: Prior to the statement: "Using 12 gauge wire, connect the other large Ford solenoid post the to the positive battery cable connection on the Delco solenoid", add this sentence: "Using 12 gauge wire, connect one of the large terminals on the Ford solenoid to the S terminal on the Delco solenoid."

Then, the procedure will read as follows: "Using 12 gauge wire, connect one of the large terminals on the Ford solenoid to the S terminal on the Delco solenoid. Using 12 gauge wire, connect the other large Ford solenoid post the to the positive battery cable connection on the Delco solenoid."

The effect of the above is that the Ford unit will actuate (connecting the two large posts/terminals together) which shorts the battery positive post directly to the S terminal, and that will provide maximum possible voltage to the Delco solenoid actuating coil when in "Start" position of the ignition switch. Jim Hand

Old 06-16-2000, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Critter, I used one and cured my hot start problem at once. I used 10 gauge wire,
tho, I always figure one step larger on wire a'int gonna hurt and might help.

------------------
For sale: 61-64 Full-size
steering boxes WITH pitman
arms! Several to choose from,
$800-1200, e-mail me.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts