THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I were you I'd probably rent the Challenger, but if you decide to buy one,
I'd get a Camaro or Mustang. I own a 2013 Mustang and my wife drives a 2010 Camaro.
The Camaro has been the best car my family has ever owned and I've owned about fifty cars. In six years and 80 thousand miles it hasn't needed one single solitary thing except oil changes and one set of tires. Even the six and a half year old battery still starts the car fine.
It's never even burned out a light bulb, and never had any flaws when new that required any trip to the dealer for warranty work.....simply an amazing car. I don't drive my Mustang
much so I can't really comment on reliability but no troubles so far. My wife's co-worker bought a new Challenger six months ago and it's been back to the dealer with problems
about fifteen times already.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I realize this is a distraction from your primary question about which car, but I think Goatless is hinting at something which deserves repeating. For those who are NOT car nerds, it is far less about the make/model and much more about the experience and unexpected thrills.

Two examples from my own family roadtrip in western US. Wife and my 2 teenagers we had rented a traverse or something. We're in the middle of nowhere south dakota and stop for pizza in small small town. We go into back for soda, luggage, etc; Someone forgets to close the back hatch. I hole shot it unknowingly at the parking lot stop sign and our entire 2 week luggage is strewn all over the intersection. 2 cops cars, numerous good samaritans amidst our new england snob embarassment. We all laugh to this day.

Next is embrace the gas station. Some are gourmet. Some, less so. But they’ve got cheap eats, classic candies, bathrooms, and fuel all in one. Stop at gas stations often, and you’re bound to hit some stellar ones. On a rainey night we had the best meal of our trip in a gas station including some 'pig pen' baked potato that for $5 the guy guaranteed we wouldn't be hungry for 48 hours. He was right and didn't sheet either.

Enjoy the trip !

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 07-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I work for Enterprise and I prefer the Challenger, then the Mustang, i don't really like the Camaro. The Camaro has one helluva blind spot and GM radio suck. We have the Mustang in the V6 and Turbo 4 at most location, i like the Turbo in the Mustang. The Challenger is the most comfortable to drive and front seats have great support on a long trip.
If you get a Challenger with the radio controls on the rear of the steering wheel, your hands will never have to leave the steering wheel to change the channel. Plus with the satellite radio on most Chrysler, Dodge products, you can save you favorite bands and a alert will let you know when they are being broadcast.

Last edited by se428bandit; 07-16-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
If you get a Challenger with the radio controls on the rear of the steering wheel, your hands will never have to leave the steering wheel to change the channel. Plus with the satellite radio on most Chrysler, Dodge products, you can save you favorite bands and a alert will let you know when they are being broadcast.

That sounds exactly like the radio in my 2015 Chevy truck and my parents 2016 Chevy Trax and my friends 2015 Chevy Cruze. I can't imagine the Camaro being different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 07-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I too own a Challenger. On powertour my son drove and a friend rode up front. Anyone that has met me well myself and a friend the same size fit in the backseat comfortably. Way better riding car too.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 07-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love muscle cars, but if you want to have some family fun think about a 4 door Wrangler. You can do a little off-roading with the top and doors off, which is just way more fun than anyone ought to be able to have after age 21 or so

Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 PM

I had a 2013 Camaro, once you learn how to mirror drive the car, the blind spot is minimal. Took me a while to stop trying to look over my shoulder though. If you want more than two passengers that are over 5 yrs old, forget about it and the truck opening is small. Hard for an older man to get in and out of and the doors are huge if you are parked next to someone, you better be skinny. It was a lot of fun to drive though. I believe I would rent the Challenger.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
That sounds exactly like the radio in my 2015 Chevy truck and my parents 2016 Chevy Trax and my friends 2015 Chevy Cruze. I can't imagine the Camaro being different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With a fleet of 3,000+ cars and truck in my area, I have driven them all. The GM radios are not as user friendly as the Chrysler/Dodge stuff. On a long trip I only rent them for this reason.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Camaro is harder to see out of, but I don't think its as bad as most make it seem.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 PM

Thank you to everybody for your feedback, input, and insight.

I imediately scratched the Camaro in the Mustang GT because the road trip was about 2000 miles round-trip and my daughters are ages eight and 12 and I wanted them to be as comfortable as possible.

I ran into a financial quagmire when I found one of the few places that had the Dodge Challenger available and it was renting for about $160 a day.

Keep in mind I was going to have the vehicle my possession for six days.

So another opportunity popped up to a friend of mine for a Mercedes C class for about $80 a day and I want that direction but when I arrived they didn't have any Mercedes left but they had a BMW 328 I.

The only foreign cars that I've known over the years was a 1993 300ZX and my 2009 Nissan and my 2009 Nissan Frontier.

I must say that the performance of the BMW 328 I was much better than I thought it would be in comfort, acceleration, and handling.

It was fun to drive but I wouldn't want to have to pay for one every month.😀

I was hoping to have the opportunity to drive up there American muscle car but it just wasn't in the cards.

Anyway the girls and I had a super trip we hit Nashville, Tennessee, Lexington, Kentucky, and Louisville,Kentucky, and made some good life memories: